• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Consultancy advertising the role up to X day rate, drops day rate once I get offer."

Collapse

• gixxer2021
    replied
    For most contracts I’ll negotiate/agree the rate before the interview. If the ad says up to x then that will be x if I have all the required skills (or the important ones anyway). If they then try and renege on this after the interview I’d push back and walk if they didn’t stick to the original agreed rate.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

In fairness a number of agencies are now offering consultancy in bidding for a piece of work rather than individual roles.
    Yeah, in the optimistic hope that people will think they are outside Section 10....

"Consultancy" does not mean "Outside IR35". That only works if the consultancy is providing a complete turnkey solution, and even then your engagement may still fall foul of IR35. If all they are doing is providing manpower and/or skills, then inside IR35 is a very strong possibility.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Should you really be contracting if you don't know the difference between a consultancy and an agency? Also why do you need to be asking this if you've been contracting since before 2014? This is your bread and butter we are talking about here. You've also failed to ask what model the consultacy is running.

You are welcome.
    In fairness a number of agencies are now offering consultancy in bidding for a piece of work rather than individual roles.

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by simes View Post
    In matters where an agent has proffered a lesser rate
    Have they in this case, though?

As above, I applied for a role on JobServe which had a day rate advertised up to X day rate. However after I successfully get thru the interview with the end client the consultancy advises the day rate is 21% less a day.
    I think there is probably something missing from this story, since what is advertised on Jobserve, which is usually a range or an "up to", is rarely what is offered. The question is what was offered, if anything, when the interview was being arranged. If that conversation didn't happen (it should have and normally does), then the only "offer" that the OP received was X - 21%. Even if they did offer X before the interview and the offer came through at X - 21% there isn't really much you can do about it other than ask for more/be prepared to walk/just take the role.

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    In matters where an agent has proffered a lesser rate, I immediately reply saying, 'Now I know the full scope of the role, I was actually going to suggest an increase of (equivalent to their £drop). However, why don't we just leave it where it is?"

And believe it or not, that has worked.

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It did say "up to X" not "X"...
    The X in "up to X" is never actually offered in my experience, although maybe some have seen this mythical amount.
    The only offer that has been made is X - 21% and the only decision you have to make is whether or not that is acceptable to you.
    As agent shennanigans go, this is pretty low level stuff and mostly to be expected.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It did say "up to X" not "X"...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I used to see rates advertised with "Depending on experience", i.e. if you were 6 months into your career, you'd get less than someone who had been around for 10 years.
    Haven't see that for a while, but also most of my roles have come through agents I've worked with in the past, and they know they might be able to drop by a few pounds per day, but not much.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post

It's a bit presumptuous to judge someone on a shiny suit - unless of course they were wearing loafers with no socks as well.
    It was metaphorical- they actually had rather expensive suits, they had a cheap suit attitude…

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    I had the same thing happen recently although the drop was only 10% due to my 'not fulfilling all client requirements' despite my having vastly more experience that the rest of the team.

I rejected the offer immediately and have had two follow up calls offering £25pd increases. This for an outside role and it wouldn't surprise me if this magically flipped to inside had I accepted either.
    Last edited by TheDude; 31 March 2022, 07:50.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I’ve had this- a jumped up agency trying to put it about that they were a consultancy for a greater slice of the cake. They were slick so I fell for it but they’re cheap, shiny suit ways let them down.
    It's a bit presumptuous to judge someone on a shiny suit - unless of course they were wearing loafers with no socks as well.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Ultimately if they won't budge on the rate decide if you can do better elsewhere and take it or leave it.

Leave a comment:

• ukmercenary
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk

Hang on... This is a perm role? Why the bloody hell did you not mention this in the first place? This is a contractor forum not, not a perm one.

Honestly. This drip feed of information is painful. I can't bothered to go back and check if any of the advice I've given might be different, which I am sure it is, for a perm role. Guess I can say I kinda nailed it in post 2 now though

And while I am a tad frustrated please use the proper there, their, they're.
    My bad I had better not post when im tried but hobnob nailed it "* Existing offer is for a contract (via consultancy), working from home 1 day per week.
    * Tomorrow's interview is for a permie role, working from home 4 days per week."

I'm also Dyslexic

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    I think that ukmercenary is talking about 2 different things:
    * Existing offer is for a contract (via consultancy), working from home 1 day per week.
    * Tomorrow's interview is for a permie role, working from home 4 days per week.

Leave a comment:

• ukmercenary
    replied
    Yes, you are right they have spent all this money to get to where we are today. I recently heard on good advice that one of the job boards fee's has gone up 300% recently so I guess they are desperate to make there costs back. Anyway if I get offered this perm role (interview tomorrow), I will be in a strong position. They said I could WFH 4 days a week vs this role which is only 1 day a week which would be nice. Looking at the rate its about 10% higher than the average for my kind of role so it's not a bad rate at the end of the day. It's more of a principle thing but yes It's also how much savings do I have!
    Last edited by ukmercenary; 30 March 2022, 21:19.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X