• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Consultancy advertising the role up to X day rate, drops day rate once I get offer.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It did say "up to X" not "X"...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      It did say "up to X" not "X"...
      The X in "up to X" is never actually offered in my experience, although maybe some have seen this mythical amount.
      The only offer that has been made is X - 21% and the only decision you have to make is whether or not that is acceptable to you.
      As agent shennanigans go, this is pretty low level stuff and mostly to be expected.

Comment

In matters where an agent has proffered a lesser rate, I immediately reply saying, 'Now I know the full scope of the role, I was actually going to suggest an increase of (equivalent to their £drop). However, why don't we just leave it where it is?"

And believe it or not, that has worked.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
          In matters where an agent has proffered a lesser rate
          Have they in this case, though?

As above, I applied for a role on JobServe which had a day rate advertised up to X day rate. However after I successfully get thru the interview with the end client the consultancy advises the day rate is 21% less a day.
          I think there is probably something missing from this story, since what is advertised on Jobserve, which is usually a range or an "up to", is rarely what is offered. The question is what was offered, if anything, when the interview was being arranged. If that conversation didn't happen (it should have and normally does), then the only "offer" that the OP received was X - 21%. Even if they did offer X before the interview and the offer came through at X - 21% there isn't really much you can do about it other than ask for more/be prepared to walk/just take the role.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Should you really be contracting if you don't know the difference between a consultancy and an agency? Also why do you need to be asking this if you've been contracting since before 2014? This is your bread and butter we are talking about here. You've also failed to ask what model the consultacy is running.

You are welcome.
            In fairness a number of agencies are now offering consultancy in bidding for a piece of work rather than individual roles.
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

In fairness a number of agencies are now offering consultancy in bidding for a piece of work rather than individual roles.
              Yeah, in the optimistic hope that people will think they are outside Section 10....

"Consultancy" does not mean "Outside IR35". That only works if the consultancy is providing a complete turnkey solution, and even then your engagement may still fall foul of IR35. If all they are doing is providing manpower and/or skills, then inside IR35 is a very strong possibility.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

For most contracts I’ll negotiate/agree the rate before the interview. If the ad says up to x then that will be x if I have all the required skills (or the important ones anyway). If they then try and renege on this after the interview I’d push back and walk if they didn’t stick to the original agreed rate.

Comment

Working...
                X