• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Consultancy advertising the role up to X day rate, drops day rate once I get offer.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks northernladuk I will have to have a think about it. I suppose another option is after 6 months when it comes to renewal I can go for an increase then but from my experience usually best to get the rate at the start.

Comment

Originally posted by ukmercenary View Post
      Thanks northernladuk I will have to have a think about it. I suppose another option is after 6 months when it comes to renewal I can go for an increase then but from my experience usually best to get the rate at the start.
      Oh yeah lol. Always best to start on top rate of course. You do have some power as they want you and you've an offer. It's poor business to lose the best candidate for the sake of a couple of quid. It will cost them to go find the second best person so again, if you are prepared to walk then tell them to stick their 21%. They can have 10% or you are gone, or something along that lines.

Remember even if you'd got the rate you want there is always wiggle room at renewal. The agent/consultancy have spent the money finding you and made what they expect to cover that in the first 6 months. The extension is just free money so can still negoatiate.

Just depends how confident you feel and how've you've read the situation. Is it still a good rate compared the market at the 79% of the original or is it poor now?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, you are right they have spent all this money to get to where we are today. I recently heard on good advice that one of the job boards fee's has gone up 300% recently so I guess they are desperate to make there costs back. Anyway if I get offered this perm role (interview tomorrow), I will be in a strong position. They said I could WFH 4 days a week vs this role which is only 1 day a week which would be nice. Looking at the rate its about 10% higher than the average for my kind of role so it's not a bad rate at the end of the day. It's more of a principle thing but yes It's also how much savings do I have!
        Last edited by ukmercenary; 30 March 2022, 21:19.

Comment

I think that ukmercenary is talking about 2 different things:
          * Existing offer is for a contract (via consultancy), working from home 1 day per week.
          * Tomorrow's interview is for a permie role, working from home 4 days per week.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk

Hang on... This is a perm role? Why the bloody hell did you not mention this in the first place? This is a contractor forum not, not a perm one.

Honestly. This drip feed of information is painful. I can't bothered to go back and check if any of the advice I've given might be different, which I am sure it is, for a perm role. Guess I can say I kinda nailed it in post 2 now though

And while I am a tad frustrated please use the proper there, their, they're.
            My bad I had better not post when im tried but hobnob nailed it "* Existing offer is for a contract (via consultancy), working from home 1 day per week.
            * Tomorrow's interview is for a permie role, working from home 4 days per week."

I'm also Dyslexic

Comment

Ultimately if they won't budge on the rate decide if you can do better elsewhere and take it or leave it.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                I’ve had this- a jumped up agency trying to put it about that they were a consultancy for a greater slice of the cake. They were slick so I fell for it but they’re cheap, shiny suit ways let them down.
                It's a bit presumptuous to judge someone on a shiny suit - unless of course they were wearing loafers with no socks as well.

Comment

I had the same thing happen recently although the drop was only 10% due to my 'not fulfilling all client requirements' despite my having vastly more experience that the rest of the team.

I rejected the offer immediately and have had two follow up calls offering £25pd increases. This for an outside role and it wouldn't surprise me if this magically flipped to inside had I accepted either.
                  Last edited by TheDude; 31 March 2022, 07:50.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

It's a bit presumptuous to judge someone on a shiny suit - unless of course they were wearing loafers with no socks as well.
                    It was metaphorical- they actually had rather expensive suits, they had a cheap suit attitude…
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I used to see rates advertised with "Depending on experience", i.e. if you were 6 months into your career, you'd get less than someone who had been around for 10 years.
                      Haven't see that for a while, but also most of my roles have come through agents I've worked with in the past, and they know they might be able to drop by a few pounds per day, but not much.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X