• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Leeway with 'wholly and exclusively for business use' regarding furniture?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

You'd probably need to ask the poster who used the term "Little shed" in the first place, but I suspect they were just trolling.
    Now where could I find someone unwise enough to troll in the professional forums?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Can you define "little shed?" This meets that description and I can put it in my garden, sling a cable to it, take it with me when I move: https://www.tuin.co.uk/Shepherd-Hut.html. I could also negotiate to sell it to the new owners for likely a fraction of the original price. These things have limited lifespans.
    I already mentioned the distinction between temporary structure and an extension as well. What if I buy a static caravan as my home office. Clearly this is an asset I can sell later, so where IS the line drawn?
    You'd probably need to ask the poster who used the term "Little shed" in the first place, but I suspect they were just trolling.

Also, if you're going for a Shepherd's Hut, get one that will also more than 2 years.
    https://www.englishshepherdshut.co.uk/classic

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Can you define "little shed?" This meets that description and I can put it in my garden, sling a cable to it, take it with me when I move: https://www.tuin.co.uk/Shepherd-Hut.html. I could also negotiate to sell it to the new owners for likely a fraction of the original price. These things have limited lifespans.
    I already mentioned the distinction between temporary structure and an extension as well. What if I buy a static caravan as my home office. Clearly this is an asset I can sell later, so where IS the line drawn?
    They are limited but they are long. It's not like a couple of years. Selling an asset from the company to new owners at a fraction of the price and not market price is either fraud or tax evasion isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Does having a garden office (not just an outside toilet or "little shed"), with electricity and internet connection affect the value of a property?

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    . I would advise you approach your council for advice and maybe seek a certificate of lawful development. I got one for mine, it cost £80..
    I'd also recommend getting an LDC - as it's a nice to have if you ever come to sell, or have a tricky neighbour. That said, mine took absolutely bloody ages to come through and in the end I started the build without it (and hoped for the best!)

Very easy process though - I did it all myself and just got a certificate through no drama

Leave a comment:

• looonytunes
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

4 by 5 = 20sq m
    15m x 24m = 360sq m

you sure your maths is right

a bigger question would be does that size of garden actually contain as a garden in which you have permitted development rights.

also Council tax won’t change until you come to sell ~ this is basic stuff that a few seconf]do on Google will provide details of
    Thought Council tax was periodically assessed or at least there's sn onus on you to tell the council should any changes be made to the premise that may effect their rating

Appreciate the info and it's clear i don't know enough at this stage

Leave a comment:

• looonytunes
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    On the subject of planning, even if you have permitted development rights you need to be aware of the size requirements for outbuildings. For PD to apply you also need to show that the building’s use is “incidental to the enjoyment of the main dwelling house”.

A garden office that has no employees or clients visiting and is only used for clerical work should fulfil this criterion but different councils have different views on outbuildings used for business purposes. I would advise you approach your council for advice and maybe seek a certificate of lawful development. I got one for mine, it cost £80.

There are also limits on the size and positioning of the building to ensure it remains exempt from building regulations as a lot of off the shelf garden offices will not meet building regs.
    Good to know
    Will go through planning

Thanks for the info

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    On the subject of planning, even if you have permitted development rights you need to be aware of the size requirements for outbuildings. For PD to apply you also need to show that the building’s use is “incidental to the enjoyment of the main dwelling house”.

A garden office that has no employees or clients visiting and is only used for clerical work should fulfil this criterion but different councils have different views on outbuildings used for business purposes. I would advise you approach your council for advice and maybe seek a certificate of lawful development. I got one for mine, it cost £80.

There are also limits on the size and positioning of the building to ensure it remains exempt from building regulations as a lot of off the shelf garden offices will not meet building regs.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

25k inc VAT for a building that takes up 1/4 of your garden. Do you have an architect lined up, or are you buying from Sheds-R-Us?
    4 by 5 = 20sq m
    15m x 24m = 360sq m

you sure your maths is right

a bigger question would be does that size of garden actually contain as a garden in which you have permitted development rights.

also Council tax won’t change until you come to sell ~ this is basic stuff that a few seconf]do on Google will provide details of

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by looonytunes View Post

15m (w) x 24m(l)
    They are a great bunch of lads.
    I own it
    No restrictions as far as I'm aware
    Insurance yes they would but it may change my council tax band and push the insurance up
    Budget 20k
    Single story, 4m depth x 5m width
    ​​
    25k inc VAT for a building that takes up 1/4 of your garden. Do you have an architect lined up, or are you buying from Sheds-R-Us?

Leave a comment:

• looonytunes
    replied

OK, then let's try a different tack...
    How big is your garden?
    What is the local planning authority like where you live?
    Do you own your house or rent it?
    Are there any wayleaves etc that might be an issue?
    Will your current home insurance cover it?
    How much do you have to spend on it?
    What size are you thinking of building?
    15m (w) x 24m(l)
    They are a great bunch of lads.
    I own it
    No restrictions as far as I'm aware
    Insurance yes they would but it may change my council tax band and push the insurance up
    Budget 20k
    Single story, 4m depth x 5m width
    ​​

Leave a comment:

• looonytunes
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Jury's out, some of your recent posts suggest that you're a prime candidate for a dodgy scheme. Forget about tax ffs and worry more about increasing your worth.
    Fair comment
    ​​​​​​I'm not adverse to pushing the boundaries as long ss it's seen to be within the regulations

​​​

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Tax dodge? No, it's looking at the best way to build a self contained office the most tax efficient way within the confounds of the regulations

Now that I'm spending far more time at home there's a real need for one.
    OK, then let's try a different tack...
    How big is your garden?
    What is the local planning authority like where you live?
    Do you own your house or rent it?
    Are there any wayleaves etc that might be an issue?
    Will your current home insurance cover it?
    How much do you have to spend on it?
    What size are you thinking of building?

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Tax dodge? No, it's looking at the best way to build a self contained office the most tax efficient way within the confounds of the regulations

Now that I'm spending far more time at home there's a real need for one.
    As has already been said in this thread, the best way to get a garden office is to pay for it yourself and put the cost of kitting it out for business use through the business.

All this talk of appreciating or depreciating in value is largely irrelevant. There is no corporation tax saving to be made on a building as there are no capital allowances available. You would have to keep track of its value for accounting purposes and you’d likely have to buy it off your company if you want to sell your home to avoid a complicated house sale. You’d also end up with a taxable benefit.

We aren’t necessarily talking about a “posh shed” here or a £5k log cabin. They are generally timber framed, insulated buildings with double glazing, proper locks, electricity, maybe Ethernet and even plumbing for a mini kitchen and toilet if you’ve got the room for one big enough. These kinds of buildings can cost anywhere from £10-15k for a 3x3m space and anything up to £30k for a larger top end spec building.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Forget about tax ffs and worry more about increasing your worth.
    This ^^^^^

Building a better business is time better spent than spunking about with tax wheezes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X