• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leeway with 'wholly and exclusively for business use' regarding furniture?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Exactly, so when I see posters saying that a garden office is a depreciating asset, I really have to question if they are serious about an office, or are just arguing for a tax dodge they want to try out.

"Welcome to my garden office, paid for by my company. Now, if you squeeze past the lawn mowers and BBQ, you'll find a stool in the corner, where I can work on my laptop, tethered to my mobile phone and work until the battery goes flat"
    Precisely my point. My guess is that's 99% the reality of what's being talked about.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Tax dodge? No, it's looking at the best way to build a self contained office the most tax efficient way within the confounds of the regulations

Now that I'm spending far more time at home there's a real need for one.

Comment

Originally posted by looonytunes View Post
        Tax dodge? No, it's looking at the best way to build a self contained office the most tax efficient way within the confounds of the regulations

Jury's out, some of your recent posts suggest that you're a prime candidate for a dodgy scheme. Forget about tax ffs and worry more about increasing your worth.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Forget about tax ffs and worry more about increasing your worth.
          This ^^^^^

Building a better business is time better spent than spunking about with tax wheezes.

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

As has already been said in this thread, the best way to get a garden office is to pay for it yourself and put the cost of kitting it out for business use through the business.

All this talk of appreciating or depreciating in value is largely irrelevant. There is no corporation tax saving to be made on a building as there are no capital allowances available. You would have to keep track of its value for accounting purposes and you’d likely have to buy it off your company if you want to sell your home to avoid a complicated house sale. You’d also end up with a taxable benefit.

We aren’t necessarily talking about a “posh shed” here or a £5k log cabin. They are generally timber framed, insulated buildings with double glazing, proper locks, electricity, maybe Ethernet and even plumbing for a mini kitchen and toilet if you’ve got the room for one big enough. These kinds of buildings can cost anywhere from £10-15k for a 3x3m space and anything up to £30k for a larger top end spec building.

Comment

OK, then let's try a different tack...
              How big is your garden?
              What is the local planning authority like where you live?
              Do you own your house or rent it?
              Are there any wayleaves etc that might be an issue?
              Will your current home insurance cover it?
              How much do you have to spend on it?
              What size are you thinking of building?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Jury's out, some of your recent posts suggest that you're a prime candidate for a dodgy scheme. Forget about tax ffs and worry more about increasing your worth.
                Fair comment
                ​​​​​​I'm not adverse to pushing the boundaries as long ss it's seen to be within the regulations

​​​

Comment

OK, then let's try a different tack...
                  How big is your garden?
                  What is the local planning authority like where you live?
                  Do you own your house or rent it?
                  Are there any wayleaves etc that might be an issue?
                  Will your current home insurance cover it?
                  How much do you have to spend on it?
                  What size are you thinking of building?
                  15m (w) x 24m(l)
                  They are a great bunch of lads.
                  I own it
                  No restrictions as far as I'm aware
                  Insurance yes they would but it may change my council tax band and push the insurance up
                  Budget 20k
                  Single story, 4m depth x 5m width
                  ​​

Comment

15m (w) x 24m(l)
                    They are a great bunch of lads.
                    I own it
                    No restrictions as far as I'm aware
                    Insurance yes they would but it may change my council tax band and push the insurance up
                    Budget 20k
                    Single story, 4m depth x 5m width
                    ​​
                    25k inc VAT for a building that takes up 1/4 of your garden. Do you have an architect lined up, or are you buying from Sheds-R-Us?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

25k inc VAT for a building that takes up 1/4 of your garden. Do you have an architect lined up, or are you buying from Sheds-R-Us?
                      4 by 5 = 20sq m
                      15m x 24m = 360sq m

you sure your maths is right

a bigger question would be does that size of garden actually contain as a garden in which you have permitted development rights.

also Council tax won’t change until you come to sell ~ this is basic stuff that a few seconf]do on Google will provide details of
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X