• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Last day of work unpaid as it wasn't worked. Fault was on their side"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Normally they give you start and end date when they describe a term, that's clear. I'm talking about interpreting "until", which is at best ambiguous.
    Ah yes got you.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You sure? I always thought it was at the end of the last stated day. For example. Last day of term this period is Friday 23rd July, so by your analogy they break up on Thursday?

I don't buy in to that I am afraid.
    Normally they give you start and end date when they describe a term, that's clear. I'm talking about interpreting "until", which is at best ambiguous.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    If the contract states until June 1st, then strictly speaking the final day is on May 31st, because the June 1st 12:00am is the end of the contract.
    You sure? I always thought it was at the end of the last stated day. For example. Last day of term this period is Friday 23rd July, so by your analogy they break up on Thursday?

I don't buy in to that I am afraid.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    If the contract states until June 1st, then strictly speaking the final day is on May 31st, because June 1st 12:00am is the end of the contract.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 20 July 2021, 11:29.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Or, it's:

Plumber turns up. Client says, "but you finished yesterday". Plumber says, "the contract/plans say I finish today". Client says, "meh". Plumber spends all day banging on the door and wants paying for that day.
    Yep. About the measure of it.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Plumber goes out to street and turns off mains supply to house and goes home.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Or, it's:

Plumber turns up. Client says, "but you finished yesterday". Plumber says, "the contract/plans say I finish today". Client says, "meh". Plumber spends all day banging on the door and wants paying for that day.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

but that's not a very accurate analogy.

How about??? Plumber turns up at the doorstep. Client says "but you finished yesterday". Plumber spends all day banging on the door, and now wants paying for that day.
    Exactly.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post

it’s not dead easy. Plumber turns up on your door to do a days rate for £200 a day. You refuse to let him in and ask him to wait on the job. Surely he is entitled to being paid

why do contractors feel like we are taxis and it’s only when someone is in the cab can we charge
    but that's not a very accurate analogy.

How about??? Plumber turns up at the doorstep. Client says "but you finished yesterday". Plumber spends all day banging on the door, and now wants paying for that day.

Leave a comment:

• NowPermOutsideUK
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Cripes, again?

What's so hard to understand? You don't get paid for what you don't work. You get paid for what you do work.

Dead easy?

Far more sensible to put the time and effort into finding the next job.
    it’s not dead easy. Plumber turns up on your door to do a days rate for £200 a day. You refuse to let him in and ask him to wait on the job. Surely he is entitled to being paid

why do contractors feel like we are taxis and it’s only when someone is in the cab can we charge

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Very unusual for a contract to run until the first day of the month. It was probably always intended to end on 31st May. I would view this as a mistake on the contract. No harm in trying to get an additional day paid but not worth a legal fight.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
    Let it go.

Leave a comment:

• zonkkk
    replied
    Let it go.

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    Do you really need to chase 1 day you didn't even work for payment? You're not an employee, part of running a business is knowing what isn't worth the effort to chase. I get you're bitter about what happened but that's not a good enough reason to go through this amount of effort and likely end up with nothing.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

you are assuming that 1st July was the last day of the contract though.
    The contract might run TILL the 1st July. In that case OP has lost a day for nothing.
    More than likely true, times usually run from midnight after all. But cock up rather than conspiracy, on whose side is up for debate!

Best possible result is to raise an invoice, waste effort arguing about for several times, get nowhere, don't get any money, write off the invoice as a bad debt and get the CT offset as a result. So somewhere around £100 saved. Is it really worth it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X