• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

Frosty but sunny again. It was -2°C not long ago, now up to 1°, and 7° expected, again. The barometers are down a bit more at 1022/1031mB

Back to the fray with ClientGov Mk.II shortly, kicking off with a two hour Teams meeting. I've got myself logged in to Teams and Gmail on the mighty iMac and ensured my AirPods are charging, so looks like I'm good to go; well, as good as I ever am

Comment

Morning all

CBS, King Billy, etc.

Have to send 2 urgent emails this morning, one following up on a message I sent at 1.30am which appears to have created a bit of interest, and one about me coming out of retirement.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Kickoff meeting went well. I am currently Tech Lead of a team which has no other developers, as we're starting almost from scratch. They said they were struggling to find other developers of the calibre required, so I assured them that I'd be quite happy to do it all myself

I left room for it to be taken as a joke, but they seemed more relieved than anything and I reckon I might end up doing that. Fine by me

Secret laptop hasn't turned up yet, though it's expected to get here some time today. When I checked the mandatory training that I can access from outside, it was all still valid from when I did it last year

About time for lunch then

Interestingly, there hasn't yet been any official pronouncement on what the new name for the department is, so none of us know what it's actually called at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Morning all

CBS, King Billy, etc.

Have to send 2 urgent emails this morning, one following up on a message I sent at 1.30am which appears to have created a bit of interest, and one about me coming out of retirement.
          you called?

Comment

I ended up in a two hour call with one of the new report developers going through the results of them trying to recreate a report off the new database.

It's mostly all good but the size of the output (>400k rows, c.30 columns) makes it very difficult to compare and ensure that everything matches. I've sent them off with a few extra tests to do while I do some investigation into data discrepancies.

Comment

Lunch: zingy chicken, tomato and lentil soup with a bit of wholemeal

No secret government laptop yet

Comment

Lunch is corned beef and tomato in a fresh-baked (slightly over baked) ciabatta roll.

Comment

First day back went well enough, despite there still being no government laptop. I got most of the mandatory training redone, as it would have expired in a month or so anyway. I think the only remaining one, which I need the laptop to access, is valid for three years anyway

And they've decided what the new name for the department is

Comment

According to the National Grid on Twitter, the power cut in Neath should be fixed by 21:00. Just in case anybody was wondering

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      According to the National Grid on Twitter, the power cut in Neath should be fixed by 21:00. Just in case anybody was wondering
                      One had noticed the flickering of the lights.

Whilst on the 24th of April 2019 there was much discussion of this Countdown.

Meanwhile the National Grid map thingie denies all knowledge.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 8 February 2023, 20:47.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X