• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afternoon all

Cloudy but dry. Cold at 2 degrees with a fierce breeze that blasts your face off when you unwittingly turn a corner. I swear I saw a small flurry of snow while we were having breakfast.

Dinner last night was at a Michelin starred place a little way out of the city centre followed by cocktails in the hotel bar. We're now out doing some final gift shopping before we head to the airport and come home.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

After an unforecast sunny morning, it's clouding over again now. Currently 6°C and not getting any higher, chance of some showers soon, and the barometers are down a bit but maybe not significantly so at 1014/1022mB

I think today will be a day of giving my back a chance to recover a little, moving disparate bits that need to go over to the new place but don't form a cohesive unit. Stuff like the 1980s midi hifi system, assorted bundles of cables, bits and bobs out of drawers, all that kind of thing

Comment

Just had the last teacake out of the freezer, toasted and slathered in butter

Comment

Upon venturing out to the car, I realised I'd forgotten that the weekend sees two or three additional cars roosting out there, from people who are (I assume) working away during the week. They tend to park pretty close to my cars, which would make getting large boxes shifted a bit awkward. So I just took a box with assorted bits such as old laptops, and my parents' old 32" telly. The latter was bought for viewing the 2012 Olympics (or that was the excuse they used) so though old, it's decent enough; I'll probably stick it in the bedroom or the office. I need to get an aerial lead though, so I still haven't watched even a second of telly in the new place

I've mentioned that the new neighbourhood is quite salubrious. On the way back, I noticed a Rolls Royce parked just around the corner, on the side road with the pocket park that leads back towards the big park and the main road, so at least one of the near neighbours is keeping up appearances

And on returning, I popped up to the Amazon Locker where I picked up a roll of bubblewrap, so I can now start getting crockery and such over there

Comment

Mod century (360,700)
            Bag packed for tomorrow’s trip.
            1 demijohn decanted into bottles, 5 more demijohns filled.
            that makes 70 litres of cider for the year.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Flight home delayed by 90 minutes. Many G&Ts imbibed in the lounge. Hopefully I will still get home in time for my Ocado delivery

Comment

In the other Chinese

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  In the other Chinese
                  Very nice, as always

There was another customer in there! And then yet another turned up!

Comment

Are such facilities available adjacent to the new place?

Just askin' like. .

While back on 13th March 2019 NF was watching STNG "who watches the watchers" or somesuch.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 3 December 2022, 23:05.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      Are such facilities available adjacent to the new place?

Just askin' like. .

While back on 13th March 2019 NF was watching STNG "who watches the watchers" or somesuch.
                      There's a Chinese takeaway about seven minutes walk away. I went there often when I lived in that neighbourhood in the 1980s, but should it turn out to be lacking now, there's another one created since that time about ten minutes walk away, and that's in the area where the really rich people live so it's probably fine

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Us (2019) which is by the same bloke that made the very good Get Out and is also very good; well worth a watch

And then a rewatch of The Monuments Men (2014) which is also worth a watch

Finally, a couple more episodes of S1 of The West Wing. To wit, the capital punishment one, and the racism against Hispanics one. Both very good indeed. But does anybody else think it strange that Hispanic people are regarded as a separate race in the USA, while here in Europe we wouldn't think of them that way? I certainly don't, even when they turn out be from Brazil or Mexico or somewhere rather than Spain or Portugal

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X