• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

Sunny start, at least when it gets through the gaps in the thin cloud up there, which are legion. A bit milder today though, at 15°C with no worse than 22° expected. Barometers are up a little at 1007/1014mB

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Sunny in parts.

Blue sky, also in parts.

Cool at 20.7 deg in here.

1012.5 mBar, 29.899 in Hg, 759.44 Torr, 14.685 psi, (untapped last night), 72% RH.

Thursday.

The recycling engineers made their merry way along the road but I was soundly in the land of nod & heard nothing.

Receptacles returned to their usual places since if I don't do it they'll be out there until someone steals them again.

For no known reason just googled "J T Edson", "Matt Chisholm", "Joe Millard", and "Louis L'Amour", being dead writers of Western novels from long long ago before word processing gave us doorstops.

Meanwhile, back in November 2018, NF has a 3 sausage bap, whilst I have poached salmon with a sidedish of kippers, rounded off with some sliced peaches BBE 2014.

Who knew vacuuming your artificial grass was a thing? And that you could get an electric shock whilst doing so?

Shopping trip to Tesco done, dusted, washed, dried, sanitised & put away.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese & baked beans, yellow corner yog, bramble jelly & marmalade on toast, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y: slydexia, Sliced Bread: expensive paint. In a surprise result, you get what you pay for.

TWAO: more joy.

Freecell score: 100% (of 10), running average 85%.

19 buckets of apples consigned to the compost heap.

My feathered friends are doing a fine job of pecking holes & knocking them off the tree.

Some other apples, unconsigned to the compost heap, have been cooked & will meet the freezer once they've cooled down a bit.

There is a possibility that a portion may meet some custard at tea time. .

Tea: the last portion of chilli con carne with rice, stewed apple & gooseberries with custard, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Wheeler Dealers S10 E11 Lotus Elise: K series Rover engine, uprated suspension, that's about it. Not as inneresting as yesterday's FSM.

It must be said that the eps with Edd in the UK are rather betterer than those with Ant in septicland.

Car SOS S4 E4 Singer Lemans 1934. A real classic. Seized engine, screwed piston, cracked block repair. Rather good in its way.

Alias S3 E14 "Blowback": the bomb on the ship one. And there's a spy in the office working for the opposition.

UFOs on Blaze Secret Alien Tech (assuming it's watchable).

More UFOs on Blaze: Top secret projects (ditto).

Alias S3 E15 "Facade": the first Ricky Gervais one. Thank feck it wasn't Corden.

Alias S3 E16 "Taken": the Dixon's kids get kidnapped one. Who'd have thunk that a diagram for a Mullard 5-10 amplifier could be used as part of a security system? And that I'd be able to spot it in a 2 second scene. .

Commentary on "Facade". It wasn't very inneresting.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 4 August 2022, 23:10.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Sunny with high level wispy fluff. Currently 19 degrees with a high of 224 expected. Barometer up a tiny bit to 1014 mbar.

Had a lovely dinner last night at The Game Bird with some of HWMBO's friends. Slept very well, nothing to do with the two (free) glasses of port I was given at the end of the meal because the one I ordered wasn't available.

I have quite a sore throat this morning which suggests I may have snored a bit (also reinforced by HMWBO saying, "you slept well").

Comment

Lunch was a bit of surplus chicken casserole, which has been sitting in the freezer since the last time I made it

Comment

This afternoon I have been sitting in on some user experience research interviews.

Highlights:
            A user saying they have never used the part of the system being covered (they logged in once, in February) so they shouldn't have been selected
            A user thinking that the interview was about a different part of the system but, fortunately, they knew more about the actual topic of the session than what they thought they were going to be asked about
            The interviewer forgetting where in the system they should be guiding the user to and claiming that it all looks different (it wasn't)
            The interviewer not stopping the user from taking the session off track to talk about things they have an issue with rather than the specific thing needing feedback

All in all, I think I could add UX researcher to my list of skills!

Comment

Carried on a little late today, as I knew I could get the thing I wanted to do sorted out to my exacting standards, but it was using parts of the Django ORM I seldom touch. Didn't help when it turned out I was using something which wasn't implemented yet in the slightly old version we're using, but that was easy to work around. Anyway, I got it sorted out in the end - turned out the final thing that seemed not to be working was due to a mistake in my test

Comment

I've never had exacting standards: any old bodge that works does it for me. .

Which posting took me back to the halcyon days of 21st November 2018, where the sun was shining oh so very brightly through the lab windows (sans blinds) thusly ensuring that no one could see the monitors or the OHP screen.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 4 August 2022, 19:07.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  I've never had exacting standards: any old bodge that works does it for me. .

Which posting took me back to the halcyon days of 21st November 2018, where the sun was shining oh so very brightly through the lab windows (sans blinds) thusly ensuring that no one could see the monitors or the OHP screen.
                  I was tempted to just cobble it together, as that would have been easy enough. But if nothing else, the other devs probably don't even realise it can be done the way I did it, or even that there is such a way, so it's a chance to show off too

It's also only about twelve lines of code whereas the other way would have taken a few dozen, so it saves wear and tear on the keyboard

Comment

Tea has been chicken madras with rice and naan, and was extremely nice

And while that was simmering, the recycling bin was trundled. With a bit of luck, I'll remember to get it back in the morning

Comment

TFBSZ
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X