• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FFS. My placement at ClientGov ends in September as they're ending their relationship with the consultancy, and our DM had been trying to sort out some way of extending me through a different arrangement. But last week she was told by the director that the department couldn't take on anybody who'd been put there by the consultancy; I assume the upstream contract has some provision that would mean they'd have to pay them a hefty finder's fee, or something. No problem, I'm about ready for a change.

And today I saw just the thing on JobServe: another central government contract, requirements fit me to a T, remote working, needs the SC that I already have, and a better rate - it seemed ideal. So I gave the agent a call… and it's with the same department

For all I know, it's them looking for my replacement. Anyway, that one's NFA

Comment

You could have gotten more money! I bet that's the consultancy's cut chipping away at your rate.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        You could have gotten more money! I bet that's the consultancy's cut chipping away at your rate.
        Yes, if nothing else, I now have a clue to how much they're farming me out at

I mean, fair enough, they put me there so I don't have too much of a problem with it. But now I have a better idea of what I should be aiming for in future

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Yes, if nothing else, I now have a clue to how much they're farming me out at

I mean, fair enough, they put me there so I don't have too much of a problem with it. But now I have a better idea of what I should be aiming for in future
          It's just one of those things - if you're happy with what you receive then where's the harm but it is good to get confirmation that you're worth more than you thought!

Comment

It's just one of those things - if you're happy with what you receive then where's the harm but it is good to get confirmation that you're worth more than you thought!
            Yes, it's handy for setting the "minimum rate" filter on Jobserve

Comment

Lunch was a couple of roast pork and apple sauce cobs

I remembered to weigh the cobs this time, and it turns out they're not really any smaller than they used to be. Maybe this batch is a bit taller and less broad so they just look smaller? Anyway, I already had two of them out by then so it was too late to do anything about it

Comment

Savills have returned my flat deposit. I have no idea why they kicked up a fuss about my bank details not being the same. All they had to do was say something like: "we note your bank details have changed, please confirm that the account used previously is no longer active". Rather than erroneously claiming "we can only return funds to the same account".

Anyway, that's the last of the admin for the old place, thank goodness.

Comment

The reason why the consultancies take a big cut is because it is much harder to win work than to do work.

It is nigh on impossible to achieve a day rate equivalent to the consultancy day rate for the same role in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Incognito View Post
                    The reason why the consultancies take a big cut is because it is much harder to win work than to do work.

It is nigh on impossible to achieve a day rate equivalent to the consultancy day rate for the same role in my experience.
                    I wouldn't be surprised. I know that this consultancy - which is a very small outfit, not one of the huge ones - had a couple of people managing matters relating to the dozen or so contractors they'd placed in the department. This may not have been their full-time work, but still would have taken a decent amount of their time. So it's fair enough that the business gets to charge a premium for dealing with that aspect of things, compared to a one-person-band contractor who just provides the required services.

Comment

Savills have returned my flat deposit. I have no idea why they kicked up a fuss about my bank details not being the same. All they had to do was say something like: "we note your bank details have changed, please confirm that the account used previously is no longer active". Rather than erroneously claiming "we can only return funds to the same account".

Anyway, that's the last of the admin for the old place, thank goodness.

Comment

Working...
                      X