• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Reminds me of the fun we used to have breaking the white bits off those heat spreader things in the chem lab in skool. .

Not to mention chasing blobs of mercury over the bench. .
    Asbestos bloke told me about how a scene in the Wizard of Oz used asbestos as fake snow.

https://www.imdb.com/news/ni63227618

In my first job for the coal board research place I used white asbestos rope to seal ducting.

PS They are still working away, using polythene tunnels to carry from garage to their truck Seems balmy, though they'd just tape it up in polythene sheets.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 24 June 2022, 11:23.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Asbestos was used in lots of things, including floor tiles and that black thing they used to stick under stainless steel kitchen sinks.

It's even in lavatory cisterns, the black plastic kind, like the one in my outside bog & next door's outside bog.

Ye Olde Sloughe of Desponde was riddled with it.

I wonder if the Chinese who now rent it know that. .

When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Cake for lunch. With a cup of coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          I wonder if I dumped the "Program Now" and "Exe" mags which are highly unlikely ever to see the light of day again.
          I've got quite a few copies of EXE - I liked that one

Comment

Lunch has been a bacon cob

And the virtual paperwork for my extension to the end of September has come through at last!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Morning denizens

Feeling still not right but not as bad. My oximeter shows 99% and a resting heart rate in the mid-50s, which is nice and normal. Temperature is 37.8° but I'm pretty sure it sometimes says that when I'm fine. But the deeply annoying thing is that I've just tested positive again!

No barely-visible lines either; the damn thing virtually glowed as red as May Day in Moscow the moment the sample crept up that far

I should have been liberated today, but now I have to continue isolating. It's all, frankly, very annoying; and I probably shouldn't have done the bins either, legally speaking, but there we go
              There is no mandatory isolation now
              What to do if you have coronavirus (COVID-19) or symptoms of COVID-19 - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

I had COVID back in May, vaccines saved me as it never went to my chest, just stayed in my head , temp of 39.9. Kanackered transplant by 5 % function. I had that new anti viral infusion, bloody brilliant, better in 24 hrs. After 14 days I could go into none hospital hot wings even though still testing positive.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

There is no mandatory isolation now
                What to do if you have coronavirus (COVID-19) or symptoms of COVID-19 - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

I had COVID back in May, vaccines saved me as it never went to my chest, just stayed in my head , temp of 39.9. Kanackered transplant by 5 % function. I had that new anti viral infusion, bloody brilliant, better in 24 hrs. After 14 days I could go into none hospital hot wings even though still testing positive.
                I know it's not mandatory any more, but I just think it's better to avoid spreading it around if I can, and the old rules seem like the best guide to achieving that. For all I know, I'm the only person in Leicester who's been to London and caught this variant - I don't want to be the local equivalent of a smallpox blanket being passed round a Native American settlement

Just had the fortnightly people-at-ClientGov meeting with the consultancy. I still have covid; another person had it last week and is still feeling below par; and the meeting host's husband tested positive this morning and she reckons she's starting to come down with it too!

And the person who had it last week already had it only a month before, but reckons this new variant is worse (and not just because it sidesteps any immunity you might have from having had previous variants)

Still, a meeting where half the people, including the person in charge, have brain fog and keep forgetting what they're talking about does run a lot quicker

Comment

Bedding wash on

Comment

Tea: sausages, beans and chips

After a cautious sniff, I took a chance on sprinkling a very small amount of vinegar on my chips. It turns out it still doesn't taste quite right, but it wasn't a problem

Comment

The car earlier was basically a Ford Sierra, but actually some odd variant made for the American market called a Merkur. The opal hunters had their usual ups and downs; one other distinction of note between them and the gold diggers is that a number of the opal people are often clearly a lot poorer than even the least well-to-do gold diggers, so it's even better when they get lucky as several did today. The other day I ended up on Wikipedia finding out more about one of the regions shown, and it is indeed one of the most deprived parts of Australia, despite its mineral wealth. Then the antiques chap visited a few interesting people, at least in the bits I bothered watching when not cooking my tea.

And whilst consuming that I watched a documentary about the CIA's search for Osama Bin Laden. This turned out to be two hours long, which was good as it had time for more depth than I'd anticipated. The one thing in there that I hadn't been previously aware of was that a few minutes before the helicopters arrived at the compound, SIGINT detected a mobile phone being turned on in there (which, of course, had never happened before as the occupants didn't use any electronics that might draw any attention) and intercepted a brief outgoing call from one of the guards to a relative, saying "They have come from above". As the helicopters had only been out of cover of the mountains, and thus visible to Pakistani radar, for about two minutes at that point, and also weren't yet close enough to be heard, somebody pretty high up in Pakistan's air defence system must have had a way of getting messages in to them despite the lack of civilian phones

Anyway, I'm now knackered, so I'm getting an early night to keep the disease at bay. You never know, I might test negative tomorrow!

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X