• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was I, Tonya (2017), concerning the brouhaha in the world of ice skating when the eponymous Tonya Harding's rival, Nancy Kerrigan, had her knee broken (or maybe just hurt a bit, as she was skating in the Olympics not long after) by doofuses associated with Harding (but, she insists, without her knowledge, or at least not in advance). As all the caveats there suggest, it's a pretty murky story, not helped by the fact that many of those involved are clearly extremely thick and will insist that they didn't do things that they admitted doing to the FBI and were then convicted of in court. But this isn't a documentary, it's a "based on a true story" drama and, due to also being based on interviews with those people, often a comedy. I know nothing at all about ice skating, but I found this very entertaining

And then what James Cameron regards as the third of the Terminator films: Terminator: Dark Fate (2019). It's very good, but while the various ones between T2 and this are mostly rubbish, I did enjoy Terminator Genisys (2015) so I may watch that one again too, even if it means he no longer wishes to converse with me at cocktail parties. But maybe he won't mind. I have no idea how he orders his social life

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all

CBS, etc.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Grey.

Sunless.

Windy.

Coolish at 18.8 deg in here (positively tropical compared with six or eight weeks ago of course).

1027 mBar, in Hg, Torr, psi, (up from 1025 last night), 73% RH.

Saturday apparently, various awakenings having involved Farming Today & that walking about programme before it.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked with impeccable timing the rain began as I walked back in through the door.

It wasn't taking prisoners.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toasted crust, bramble jelly & marmalade sandwiches, a red pippy corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: The News Quiz.

The one o'clock news. (That's entertainment in quotes of course).

Freecell score: 89%, running average 85%.

Tea: spag (more reasonable quantity this week) with fiery bol, the last of the pears, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Ancient Aliens bollox.

Scotland Yard S1 E6 "Late Night Final": the mysterious disappearance of a newspaper seller.

Ancient Aliens: more bollox. Gobekli tepe, Atlantis & all that.

Ancient Aliens: Von Braun (pronounced as Von Brawn of course): was he programmed by Ancient Aliens.

Yeah, right. Ah. Nick Pope just turned up.

Odd that Robert Goddard never gets mentioned. .

The fright haired greek chap managed to pronounce it correctly. .

Whereafter it went <click>

Freecell score in the Saturday evening ennui: 88%, running average 85%.

Read more of the current book.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11 June 2022, 20:41.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Good afternoon all

Its sunny out with chunks of fluff again. Currently 22 degrees and may get up to 23 this afternoon. Barometer up a bit to 1021 mBar.

This morning has been spent emptying cupboards of tat and deciding chuck, give away or sell. The Olio app is coming in handy for the give away stuff as freecycle is full of annoying timewasters.

Lunch is a lightly toasted sesame bagel with posh ham and cheese

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Nice day out with blue sky and little bits of white fluffiness hanging around. Something of a breeze too, judging by the gesticulations of the trees. Currently up to 19°C with 21° due in a bit, 40% chance of a shower around fifteen hundred hours, and the barometers are up a little bit at 1011/1019mB

Comment

East Midlands Airport closes runway in new drone alert - BBC News - ah, that explains why a bunch of planes bound for EMA were circling past my window around midnight last night. I usually spot them coming in northbound as they descend through 10,000 feet, because that's when they put their landing lights on (usually when they're crossing the A14, about seventeen miles away). But it's unusual to see a stack of them going south, circling back north and then coming back round again and again

Comment

Lunch: sausages in finger rolls

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  East Midlands Airport closes runway in new drone alert - BBC News - ah, that explains why a bunch of planes bound for EMA were circling past my window around midnight last night. I usually spot them coming in northbound as they descend through 10,000 feet, because that's when they put their landing lights on (usually when they're crossing the A14, about seventeen miles away). But it's unusual to see a stack of them going south, circling back north and then coming back round again and again
                  i really didn't know they had such high buildings there

Comment

Much tat has been given away.

I have several good quality baking tins that I don't fancy giving away to some random so am trying to find a more charitable means of disposal before I resort to the eBay flea pit.

What I'm finding most annoying is the amount of stuff that isn't used often but still needs to be retained.

Comment

In the Chinese

Comment

Working...
                      X