• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    I wonder if NF spotted the Monkey Life thing this evening?

It was flagged on the EPG as "new" which may or may not be the case..
    Do you mean the special episode that was on between 5pm and 6pm? If so, I saw it; it was a new one for me, being about the history of the place

It was interesting to learn more about Trudy, the young chimp they rescued from Mary Chipperfield back in the early days. I'd forgotten that Chipperfield had the temerity to sue to have Trudy returned to her after she'd been convicted of cruelty to her, though eventually the pressure of public opinion forced her to back down

Comment

Watching the jubilee party thing.

The Queen's skit at the beginning with Paddington did genuinely make me laugh and she looked like she had fun doing it.

I wish Alicia Keys had teamed up with Goldie Looking Chain to do this version of her song, it would have been much more fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Watching the jubilee party thing.

The Queen's skit at the beginning with Paddington did genuinely make me laugh and she looked like she had fun doing it.
        First James Bond, now Paddington. She gets to be in films with all the best characters

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Do you mean the special episode that was on between 5pm and 6pm? If so, I saw it; it was a new one for me, being about the history of the place

It was interesting to learn more about Trudy, the young chimp they rescued from Mary Chipperfield back in the early days. I'd forgotten that Chipperfield had the temerity to sue to have Trudy returned to her after she'd been convicted of cruelty to her, though eventually the pressure of public opinion forced her to back down
          Yes, that was it. Not that I watched it of course. .

In other other news, the lightning map thing is pretty busy tonight.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 4 June 2022, 22:19.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

After the cheesiness of the platinum party, I then moved onto a cheerful episode of Horizon featuring Prof. Hannah Fry talking through her cancer diagnosis and the stats around treatment.

It was actually very interesting to hear how of 100 people treated with chemo after surgery, 80 didn't need it (surgery did the trick), 5 would die of unrelated causes so we'll never know if they needed it or not and of the remaining 15 the treatment only works for 5 of them. Yet no-one knows if any given person is one of the 80 or the 5.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              After the cheesiness of the platinum party, I then moved onto a cheerful episode of Horizon featuring Prof. Hannah Fry talking through her cancer diagnosis and the stats around treatment.

It was actually very interesting to hear how of 100 people treated with chemo after surgery, 80 didn't need it (surgery did the trick), 5 would die of unrelated causes so we'll never know if they needed it or not and of the remaining 15 the treatment only works for 5 of them. Yet no-one knows if any given person is one of the 80 or the 5.
              I'm looking forward to watching that one.

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood (2019) in which Quentin Tarantino does his thing of thinking he's cleverer than he is whilst exhibiting an unhealthy interest in women's feet. It's pretty good eventually, in parts, but he's at that awkward age when nobody dares tell him he needs to cut forty minutes and to ditch the fetish because nobody thinks it's big and clever any more

And then Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991). Great stuff

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Yes, that was it. Not that I watched it of course. .

In other other news, the lightning map thing is pretty busy tonight.
                There was some distant thunder at about 01:00 as I went to bed.

Having been "awake" since 04:20, it was difficult to keep my eyes open, but there were two UFO programmes to watch. .

Morning.

Wet.

Grey.

Slightly warmer at 18.4 deg.

1013.5 mBar, 29.93 in Hg, 760.187 Torr, 14.699 psi (down from 1015 last night), 73% RH.

Sunday.

I've been posting too much: the search thingie only takes me back to last Tuesday which is irritating.*

*This wasn't a problem with the previous version of the board. . Much like everything else about this dire POS really.

Freecell score: 86%, running average 85%. Not helped by the phantom driller next door boring holes in the party wall.

Lunch: chicken in white sauce with rice n peas, a red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Just a Minute, The food programme, which just went <click> due to lack of innerest. .

Freecell score: dire, running average 85%.

Zone? What fecking zone?

Managed to avoid punching the wall.

Tea: pea & ham soup with Morrisons linseed & soya bread, bramble jelly sandwich on same, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: a smidgeon of Poetry Please, nothing of the thing that followed it.

Nothing on the telly: thirteen endless channels of tulip on the tv to choose from. .

Freecell score: 100% (of 15), running average 85%.

Am Dro: Burry Port to Pwll, Gwent: castle to hill fort, Anglesey: to the church on the island in the sea, Porthmadog: across the cob by train.

The Repair Shoppe: 1960s table, toy panda, coconut scraper.

Radioactive (2019). That was rather good in its way.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 5 June 2022, 22:34.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all
                  Excellent lightning display at the party last night, and it stayed dry until about 22:30. It was a 70s theme, and great to see a DJ spinning up 45s on his decks.
                  Letting The WifeTM have a lie in this morning, as I suspect she might be a bit tender-headed.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Yesterday was interesting.

Got wet walking to Boots and Primani.

On the way saw people setting up 3 different street parties.

Then went to look at furniture.

Then went to see some Indian dancing to celebrate the Platinum Jubilee. (It wasn't just Indian dancing but an event of music, dance and singing to celebrate the jubilee but that was the best.) In between went to the pub.

Came back to see 2 lots of children playing at their street parties while adults were clearing up all 3.

Put on the telly box. Laughed at two very privileged children looking bored out of their skulls. The female one doing better than the male one in hiding her boredom. Was puzzled by who some of the "artists" were. Wondered why they put Celeste who can't sing on when we have the likes of Mica Paris and Beverly Knight who can. No wonder the Queen didn't turn up in person.

Then went One Step Beyond and watched stuff on channel 5 about the greatest dance hits. Cary Grant and her husband, David, were doing vox pieces separately. Cary thought stuff was great while David thought it was terrible and vice versa, until the late 90s.

​​​
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Celeste who can't sing
                      Not too bad by modern crappy song standards. Prefer her stuff to that of those other two I've never heard of.

PS Cary Grant had a husband????
                      Last edited by xoggoth; 5 June 2022, 08:24.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X