• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tea has been roast gammon with chips, beans and fried eggs

Accompanied by a shortened episode of The Repair Shop - I've seen the full-length version of this one, so it must have been on the other channel that repeats them

Comment

Distinct lack of racket this evening, which is very welcome.

Listened to some BBC sounds stuff to catch up on various programmes I like to listen to.

Some progress made on the OU stuff.

Comment

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Last Night in Soho (2021) in which a fashion student finds herself living a double life in present day Fitzrovia and 1960s Soho, which I really enjoyed

The scene with the dancing in the Café de Paris where it switches between her and the 1960s alter ego has been highly praised because it wasn't CGI - they did it for real. Knowing that, it's absolutely astonishing; so good that after watching it, I rewound (or whatever it's called with streaming) and watched it all over again just to see how they'd managed it, which I never normally do when watching a film for the first time. It was just as breathtaking on the rewatch, and I'm still not sure how such a thing was possible

And then I decided that as I hadn't watched The Terminator (1984) in a while, I might as well do so. So I did. It's still a cracking film. Maybe a few seconds here and there where the stop-motion animation is a bit obvious, but no need to be churlish about little things like that after all these years

Goodnight all

Quick edit to add: apparently there are two moments in the dance where the transitions were assisted by technology; I suspect the very first transition is one of them, but I'm not sure which is the other. Anyway, for any of the transitions to have been done in camera is an exceptional achievement by all involved
        Last edited by NickFitz; 4 June 2022, 02:41.

Comment

Morning.

Awake unbidden in a muck sweat at 04:20ish, with a curious dream where my late father was wondering if the post office would take a cheque (presumably for the papers) with me replying that no one takes cheques any more. . Very odd.

Freecell score: 100% (of 16), running average 85%.

Dry.

Grey.

Overcast.

Sunless.

Slightly less chilly at 18.4 deg.

1015 mBar, 29.973 in Hg, 761.3 Torr, 14.72 psi, (up a tad from a tad less than 1015 last night), 72% RH.

Saturday.

As per usual, dozed through the Pulse version of DSOTM, Doremifasollatidoh, and the first couple of tracks of Warrior on the Edge of Time.

After which: walk (unabbreviated) walked in the cold grey gloom, it being easily an overcoat colder than the shirt sleeve weather yesterday.

Swan report: only one on the fishpond, none on the first pond, a few more ducks on the first pond, no sign of the ducklings from yesterday.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese and baked beans, a yellow corner yog, another yog, bramble jelly & marmalade sandwiches, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Money Box. The News Quiz. Any Questions: about to go <click> due to the Tory scum.

Thing about the Neaderthals on PBS.

Wheeler Dealers: Range Rover P38 whatever that is: this one had the Edd character instead of the Ant character & it's UK not septicland.

Wheeler Dealers: Aston Martin DB7: another good reason not to buy something like that.

Stripping the alloy wheels & powder coating: this is the SDS for the gunk used:

https://www.vent-tech.co.uk/wp-conte...loy_wheels.pdf

Which seems a tad different to the tin shed used in the programme.

Landrover Defender V8: looks like it's got a 4 barrel on it.

Still not sure why you'd want a high lift cam in a Landrover but there you go, a highlift cam it got.

I'd have thunk one needed grunt rather than top end but what do I know?

I don't think it was a 4 barrel carb, it was probably at twin choke downdraft weber, though that stonkingly large k&n air filter would have fitted a 4bbl rather better.

Dunno if all 4 barrel carbs are as nasty as the Holley.

Tea: bol with rather too much spag, portion control having gone out of the window somewhat, a mango slice, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: my tinnitus.

BBC Alba: A "Tonight" programme from 1963 about the Western Isles with Fife Robertson on a boat.

Followed by a prog about drovers on Sky. Er, that's drovers on the Isle of Sky. Glad I've cleared that up.

Mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle on 5+1. This will go <click> if it's bollox. Proved to be mildly inneresting and not too irritating.

Repair Shoppe: the one with the inevitable teddy bears, the Mamod steam car (a friend have one of those), and the lantern top bit of an ancient lamp post. Also mildly inneresting apart from the bears. The lantern turned out to be Trigger's broom by the end of it. .

UFOs: the lost evidence: S2 E8: UK UFOs from the 40s onwards. On Dmax.

Followed by a load of bollox about aliens stealing our gold.

Somehow I managed to keep my eyes open until 00:57 whilst watching this.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 5 June 2022, 09:49.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Dull, overcast. Currently 14 degrees with a high of 20 later. Sun might make an appearance this afternoon but rain is forecast this evening. Barometer up to 1021 mBar.

More OU work planned today. Still haven't started the essay.

Comment

Just seen the postman walk past! I suppose it makes sense as today isn't a holiday like the past two days.

Comment

I need to start thinking about what furniture and other tat I have to get rid of and how. It's just so much hassle.

Comment

The fun side of "The Grand Clear Out" is drinking all the gin miniatures I've collected

Comment

The books I promised to give NF have been safely put aside.

Comment

I think it might be raining already!

Comment

Working...
                      X