• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tea has been beef short ribs, braised in a very low oven for four hours in a Bishop's Finger-based stock with onions, and served with chips and peas. Very tasty, but I think it could have done with an extra hour or even two

Comment

There was no car programme earlier, so I got more of Most Secret War read before the gold diggers. Then I was occupied with cooking; and during and after dining, there was an early (S4) episode of Police Interceptors as C5 have stuck a load of the early series up.

Early night now, in readiness for the celebration of Bin Day tomorrow

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        There was no car programme earlier, so I got more of Most Secret War read before the gold diggers.
        I find it quite illuminating (if not particularly inneresting) that mines with 8 grams per ton of rock are just about profitable, though getting that 12 grams of gold out of the ton of rock is quite a task.

Think how big the pan has to be and how much water one has to swish through it. .

Sort of puts those little flakes of gold the septics found in that canyon into some sort of perspective.

In other news, the 2nd hand copy of R.V. Jones' epic is easily found upstairs on the bookshelf, I wonder where the other one is.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

TFBSZ
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey but mild start out: currently 12°C with 19° predicted for later, but also a chance of rain this afternoon. Barometers are down a little at 1011/1019mB

Off out to do the shopping very shortly, but I'll wait to see if the recycling bin gets done just after eight first

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Sunny.

Dry.

Slightly less chilly at 17.6 deg in here.

1014.5 mBar, 29.958 in Hg, 760.94 Torr, 14.71 psi, (down from 1015 last night), 73% RH.

Friday.

Smalls in the WM.

Smalls out of the WM and into the TD.

Shirts in the WM.

Smalls out of the TD & airing upstairs.

Shirts out of the WM and into the TD.

Cottons in the WM.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the warm sunshine.

The newly discovered early purple orchids (later blooming) still retain their flower spikes.

The swans on the fishpond have lost their final cygnet. Not a good year.

The ducks on the first pond had a couple of ducklings, one of which was in a sort of spinning frenzy, most odd.

Zero swans on the first pond.

Shirts out of the TD and roughly iRoned.

Cottons out of the WM and into the TD.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato on Morrisons soya & linseed toasted crust, bramble jelly & marmalade sandwiches, red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Elizabeth's poet laureates.

TWAO.

How to steal a trillion: sound like nothing much is going to happen here whilst the thieves are busily subsidising Certain Political Parties in this country.

Cottons out of the TD & roughly iRoned.

Bed remade.

Freecell score in the unbearable warmth: 100% of 14, running average 85%.

Tea: Tesco battered cod, some mango slices, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea & a cup of coffee in the ongoing attempt to get rid of the out of date jars of instant.

Entertainment: Farscape S3 E2 "Suns and lovers": the space station attacked by storms one.

Freecell score: 80% (of a lot), running average 85%.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 3 June 2022, 21:21.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

The recycling bin was done at or about the usual time, so that's been brought in

And then I was off to the shops, first popping to M&S while it was still very quiet, and then over to Sainsbury's, which was also still fairly quiet. It was getting busier as I was leaving, though the person who was being put in the back of a police car that had obviously just followed them into the car park will probably just get a few bits, as I assume it was a no-insurance stop and they'll be walking home

Now, finally: time for coffee

Comment

Morning all
                  A bit overcast, but dry out.
                  Yesterday’s plan to dig up 2 tree stumps was sort of successful, in that I dug up 2 tree stumps, but one of the ones I dug up was quite small, and I discovered a very large one beside it, which I’ve started work on. Might try to do it today, I expect it will trash at lease one chain on a saw.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning all

Blue sky from my vantage point. Currently 19 degrees with a high of 22 later. Change of showers mid-afternoon. Barometer down to 1017 mBar.

No plan for the day but I do have things I need to do. Another coffee first, methinks.

Comment

In what it would be fair to describe as "a turn up for the books", I have taken a number of boxes of crap over to the storage unit that I've been renting for a year and had not hitherto stored anything in

Well, they aren't completely crap, but there is crap in among it all. But the storage place is directly across the road from the cul-de-sac leading to the tip. So my hope is that I'll pop in there from time to time to go through a box or two, and the relative convenience of stopping off over the road and getting rid of stuff for good will seem more attractive than the notion of bringing it all the way home or continuing to pay to leave it there. That's the idea, anyway

There's probably another couple of trips to do, maybe more, but I'm giving my back a rest for now; downstairs and out the back to where the cars reside is quite a distance to carry these things

Comment

Working...
                      X