• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Got there in the end
    A valiant effort

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Fast & Furious 9 (2021), being… well, that. For a franchise known for foolish nonsense, this one takes the nonsense to unprecedented levels of foolishness, but I suppose that's the point. More annoyingly, the stuff about "famly" that normally is concentrated in a bit at the end where they're drinking Corona and eating barbecue is here smeared throughout (in addition to that bit at the end) which makes that aspect even more annoying. But it is what it is, and that's the price of admission. The same old piss in the same shaped bottle

And then a film I haven't seen in many a long year; it may even have been the late 1980s since I last watched it, though it's possible I saw it some time in the 1990s. Anyway, it was One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975), and a fine piece of work it is. These days, they've become quite good at making films of books, but back then it was common for those who'd read a book to say that the subsequent film wasn't as good. Being one of the few people in my social circle who'd read the book, the opinion I gave when asked was that the film was as good a film as the book was a book, and I stand by that. It's exceptionally good, and I must dig the book out and re-read that too

Ken Kesey wrote the book while working night shifts at a psychiatric hospital much the same as the one depicted, and during those shifts he was sometimes under the influence of LSD, psilocybin, or mescaline he'd nicked from a clinical trial he was participating in. He credited much of the insight into the patients shown in the book (and thus the film) to those psychedelic drugs. We now know that those "clinical" trials of major psychedelics in which he was participating were (unbeknown to him) actually part of the CIA's Project MKUltra, so at least some good came out of it all

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all a day of gardening lies ahead.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Got there in the end
        Om.

Morning.

Managed to go to be before NF last night. Sanity is returned to the universe. .

Dry.

Blue sky.

Sunny.

Cold in here at 12.1 deg.

1016 mBar, 30 in Hg, 762 Torr, 14.74 psi, (up from 1010 last night), 67% RH.

Saturday.

It being Saturday, there was an episode of "The Lone Ranger (1949)" on Talking Pictures so I watched that over breakfast.

The Lone Ranger S1 E3 "The Lone Ranger's Triumph".

Not one I recall seeing before.

Though I assume I must have since it would be on the dvd.

Whatever, not particularly memorable.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked singing a little ditty.

Cold & windy out there.

How these people in t shirts and shorts manage I really dunno since I was cold even with the addition of the scarf & gloves.

Lunch: ham & lentil soup with Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt bread, bramble jelly & marmalade sandwiches on same, a yellow corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: my tinnitus, which is whistling away quietly to itself.

Freecell score: 88%, running average 84%.

Tea: spag with fiery bol, some peach slices a yog or two, 0.91 pint of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: thing on R4 comparing an electric Corsa with a petrol Corsa.

You've got to drive A Looooooong Way to make it worthwhile.

Ancient Aliens: according to this one we're all reincarnated s . It rapidly went <click>

"The Lost DNA" being an Irish production investigating the DNA of assorted skeletons over the last 10,000 years or so.

This revealed that the unfortunate hunter gatherers were totally replaced and left no DNA signature that can be detected with current techniques.

They were replaced by neolithic people from the steppes.

Who were replaced in their turn by people from the Middle East.

The 2nd half of the programme dealt with the advent of the Roman Church & its effects.

Inneresting enough to keep me amused and Lo! not a fecking mention of Ancient Astronauts to be found. .

Now the last 40 minutes of "Skyfall (2012)".
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 9 April 2022, 22:12.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Sunny and dry, a little bit of fluff here and there. Currently 9 degrees ('feels like' 7) with a high of 11 later. Barometer up to 1016 mBar.

Ocado have delivered. Towel wash on. OU work sort of started (I'm making notes).

Comment

Towels were removed from the WM and draped about.

Smalls went in and are being washy washed.

I have drafted the needful for two of the three parts of my OU assignment (the easy parts, of course). I have scoped out the essay and am cogitating on that.

As the sun is still out, I ought to go for a walk.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Sunny out, though with large banks of cumulus hither and yon, so direct sunshine is a bit intermittent. Not very balmy though at 10°C, and the weather app speaks of occasional drizzle or even rain later in the afternoon. The barometers are up quite a bit at 1008/1016mB

Comment

Lunch: a corned beef cob with a bag of plain crisps. Simple, but very nice

Apparently it's the Grand National today.

Comment

Two out of three parts of the assignment have been typed up.

The WM bleated some time ago its completion of the smalls washing and I'm just about to hang those out.

Still sunny although it intermittently goes dark when a fat cloud passes by.

Comment

Yesterday's mundane laundry has been put away. Now sitting down fanning myself as I try to recover from the excitement

Comment

Continuing the frenzy of hedonism by paying the council tax for the year

Comment

Working...
                      X