• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I, being an old romantic, am taking The WifeTM (and The DogTW) out to a posh restaurant tonight.
    Won't do dinner on Valentine's day as
    1. It's a Monday and
    2. Overpriced set menus, etc.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Just remembered to put the mundane laundry on (quick wash)

Comment

Mundane laundry done and draped

Comment

Country life… grabbed a set of keys to go out. We’re walking to the restaurant. 3 keys on the key ring- front door, main shed and big lawnmower.

Comment

That's Sam Pepys' diary for 1665 finished. Over the course of those twelve months, he increased his net worth from £1,300 to £4,400 - almost all of which he'd added in the last four months, mainly as a result of war with the Dutch, and despite the Plague raging in London and forcing him to go and live at Woolwich and then Greenwich

Comment

Tea has been southern not-fried chicken (leg bits) and fries, with lashings of ketchup

It puzzles me that these packs of thighs and drumsticks always come with more drumsticks than thighs. Last I looked, each leg has one of each, so where do the extra drumsticks come from, or where do the missing thighs go?

Comment

Televisual entertainment tonight started with Warship on the C5 streaming thing, which is like the BBC's programme about the Ark Royal in the 1970s but with a frigate rather than an aircraft carrier.

The nautical mood inspired thereby then led me to a rewatch of K-19: The Widowmaker (2002) which is pretty good; I liked it more this time than the first time I watched it, at any rate

Continuing with the nautical notion, I went for a motion picture premiere, to wit: Hunter Killer (2018). I have never seen anything like this in my life. It's like they thought "Let's take a bunch of random ingredients of lots of different kinds of thrillers and throw all of them into a mixer and see what happens." And I'm not sure how they managed it because that seems like a terrible methodology, but this thing that came out of that process is actually a great watch; I really enjoyed it

And then the next episode of Hanna which is so bad by now that I can't be bothered to link it. It's a shame, because with S2 it seemed like they were getting somewhere with the notion of extending the idea behind the original film, but this episode was just insulting to their audience. Not in a "bit ramshackle" way, but in an "any old tulip, who cares if it makes no sense" way. I couldn't believe how shoddy this was. Don't bother watching this season, because it isn't worth it. (There's only two more episodes, I think, so I might watch them just to avoid fretting over not completing something I'd started; but stick with the original film would be my advice now.)

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all

Comment

Morning.

Grey.

Sunless.

Cold at 12.5 deg in here.

Dry currently but the monsoon is coming: build an ark now.

1018 mBar, 30.06 in Hg, 763.6 Torr, 14.76 psi, 65% RH.

Saturday.

Walk (abbreviated due to the increasing inclemency of the weather) walked. It's quite nasty out there.

Several amazing things in today's perusal of the news: A chap arrested for placing some flowers in a planter on his late GF's grave, with the arrest warrant signed by the father of the expiree (USA! USA!), and a couple told they need planning permission to grow veg in raised beds in their garden (UK).

You really couldn't make some of this tulip up.

Not to mention Biden's mother sleeping on the floor of a hotel bedroom just in case HM had slept in the bed before her.

Freecell score: 86%, running average 84%.

Lunch: "baked" (i.e. nuked) potato with grated cheese & baked beans, a red corner yog, bramble jelly & marmalde sandwiches, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: "Highway thru Hell" on Blaze, being the Canadian version of "Trucking Hell" on "The Coq", some Canadian road somewhere.

The Coquihalla Highway: Highway 5, BC.

A bit like Crouch Recovery on steroids with even more feckwhitted truckers passing inches from the operatives.

Curiously, for a Blaze prog, there's no mention (yet) of Ancient Alien Researchers, Easter Island, Oak Island, the Money Pit, or Roswell. And because it's on in the afternoon, there's none of those obnoxious 888 gambling sponsorship ads that reduce me to a homicidal range with great & abiding regularity.

Once this has finished, it'll be time to cook the next batches of chilli con carne and bol.

Oh feck, it's advertising Paddy Power Bingo at me, which is less obnoxious than the above.

Next batch of bol and chilli prepared, nearly ready to meet the freezer.

Tea: spag with the latest, rather disappointed, fiery bol, some pear halves, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Hope the chilli is better than this was.

Entertainment: Ancient Aliens: the world before time: the earth's poles moving about, the Great Floode, and, of course, need we mention it, Ancient Alien Researchers saying it's all true, though Bettany Hughes was on there too.

Now we're onto Noah's Ark which is described as being in the shape of a pyramid*.

*Inspired, of course, by an Ancient Alien spacecraft.

Bab5 S3 E21 "Shadow Dancing": wherein our heroes kick some Shadow arse & Franklin nearly gets himself killed.

Bab5 S3 E22 "Z,Ha,Dum": when Kosh said "If you go to Z,Ha,Dum you will die" he wasn't kidding.

Bab5 S4 E1 "The hour of the wolf": some of the results of the trip to Z,Ha,Dum include a severe case of sunburn, with Lando returning to the crazy world that is Centauri Prime.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 February 2022, 00:00.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Overcast but reasonably bright. Currently 8 degrees ('feels like' 6) and that's the high for the day. Barometer down to 1024 mBar.

Had a delicious dinner out in Hampton Court followed by a couple of cocktails near the train station. Lovely catch up with a good friend who also gave me a work related lead that I followed up this morning.

Selection of clothes are in the WM and I'm about to take a wander up to the high street before I start the OU assignment that's due on Wednesday.

I enjoyed Hunter Killer - it was a bit bonkers but a good all-round action film, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Working...
                      X