• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afternoon all

Dull, wet, raining. Currently 10 degrees and that's about it for the day. Rain set to continue. Barometer down to 998 mbar.

Had a nice long lie in after my silly o'clock shenanigans. Now doing a few final bits of handover to the BA who returns from holiday on Monday before I dash off to climes that don't appear to be sunny at present.

More laundry afoot to ensure HWMBO has clean clothes when we come back next weekend and the bed has been stripped for airing pending fresh bedding that will no doubt be put on in a 'just in time' fashion.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Very good night's sleep. I finally remembered to use the electric throw I recently bought to warm the foot region of the bed for an hour or so before crashing, and it's a great improvement on trying to go to sleep with cold feet

It's a grey day out, damp from earlier rain and with more showers passing through. Mild for January at 9°C, though that'll be the peak, but the barometers are decidedly down at 984/991mB

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Very good night's sleep. I finally remembered to use the electric throw I recently bought to warm the foot region of the bed for an hour or so before crashing, and it's a great improvement on trying to go to sleep with cold feet
        ^^^ This! Except I use an electric overblanket. Money well spent and less likely to leak than a hot water bottle.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Went out to pick up a parcel using the old click 'n' collect, picked up some random other bits and went to the supermarket. On the way back it decided to rain cats and dogs.

And the dogs were miserable....
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

^^^ This! Except I use an electric overblanket. Money well spent and less likely to leak than a hot water bottle.
            I have an electric overblanket, but it's in dire need of cleaning and was also Put Away somewhere "safe" some time in summer. So I got the throw as an interim measure

Lunch has been Scotch broth and multiseed bread. Very warming on a damp day like today

Comment

Most packing done. All clothing related laundry done. Bedlinen in the WM.

Moved my car to a space almost outside my building.

Now having a G&T.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                I just run a hair dryer up and down under the blankets for about a minute after I get into bed. Works great.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

As part of the “let’s watch it all from the start” we’re now up to season 3 of silent witness. Still over 200 episodes to go.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Ordered Middle Eastern for dinner - mezze and grilled meats.

Having been reminded of it via the music round of a recent episode of OC, HWMBO and I are watching the very excellent film, Sucker Punch (2011)
                    Last edited by ladymuck; 8 January 2022, 20:31.

Comment

Settled down to do some experimentation with GameplayKit, but ended up digging into iOS's view hierarchy and related stuff instead. It's all worthwhile though as I never got too deeply into that and a lot has changed, in the sense of the available APIs being extended and improved, over the years. And with Catalyst, you can now run apps made for iPad on MacOS, but some people who know more than I do about it reckon that the best approach is to construct the highest levels of the UI (i.e. from the window down) in code, as that leads to better results in terms of making it look and feel more Mac-like when running on there.

So all I've really achieved after four or five hours is an app that runs on iPad and Mac showing a split view with a button on the left that turns a thing on the right magenta when you click it; but I feel like I've learned (or relearned) a lot about all the internals that go into making that happen

Comment

Working...
                      X