• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure what the fitbit app is up to. It's trying to tell me I've done 25,504 steps today. A quick check of the device says I've done 5,400 which is far more realistic for where I've been.

Comment

Lunch has been Scotch broth with wholemeal bread, and very satisfying too

And due to meeting-related busyness, I seem to have neglected to record the toasted teacake I had for breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        And now a phone call from the Water Board, who sent me an email the other day saying I was ~£11 short. I checked, and I wasn't, so I ignored it. Turns out this was "sent in error" and they offered me profuse apologies for the inconvenience. I accepted their apology gracefully, not saying that there hadn't been any inconvenience because I'd just assumed they were idiots and promptly forgotten all about it
        Are the bailiffs banging on the front door yet with a demand for £300?

Just askin' like.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

And now a phone call from the Water Board, who sent me an email the other day saying I was ~£11 short. I checked, and I wasn't, so I ignored it. Turns out this was "sent in error" and they offered me profuse apologies for the inconvenience. I accepted their apology gracefully, not saying that there hadn't been any inconvenience because I'd just assumed they were idiots and promptly forgotten all about it
          A few years ago I got a letter from our water supplier, saying that we'd shortly receive a five figure bill from them, and to ignore it. Not quite sure why they were able to get the warning before the bill... When the bill tdid turn up it was north of 25K, so it was nice of them to be proactive.

Lunch with grandsprogs was cottage pie. Grandson was really reluctant to eat for some reason. But his dad said that there would be no chocolate if the didn't eat up. He still took over an hour... kids are weird. It's funny being a grandparent - you "know" your kids/kids-in-law are doing it all wrong, but you can't say anything! (They're doing fine, btw).

I saw some code on my son's laptop and figured out what my birthday present must be. I'll just play along and act surprised.

Gorgeous day. Nipped to the supermarket and got three more bottles of that wine we had on Monday.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            Maybe the fat git it belonged to never noticed, what with being a fat git & all.
            More cushion for the pushin?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You should have complained as you were terrified that you couldn't pay can you have £50 compensation please. Call yourself a contractor?
              Last edited by vetran; 21 April 2021, 13:16.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Are the bailiffs banging on the front door yet with a demand for £300?

Just askin' like.
                Not yet, but I'm sure it'll happen

Upon checking the post, I found the resident's parking permit has arrived from the council

And the agent just phoned. Apparently the consultancy and end client are both happy with me, and it seems it's confirmed that I'll be wanted around at least until mid-May. But as it seems inevitable that the work will go on beyond that, the consultancy are trying to get the end client to commit to a longer extension, arguing that it saves everybody the hassle of going through the whole procedure again in a couple of weeks. So it looks like I'll have confirmation by early next week of either an extra couple of weeks, or possibly an extra month, or maybe even longer

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

A few years ago I got a letter from our water supplier, saying that we'd shortly receive a five figure bill from them, and to ignore it. Not quite sure why they were able to get the warning before the bill... When the bill tdid turn up it was north of 25K, so it was nice of them to be proactive.

Lunch with grandsprogs was cottage pie. Grandson was really reluctant to eat for some reason. But his dad said that there would be no chocolate if the didn't eat up. He still took over an hour... kids are weird. It's funny being a grandparent - you "know" your kids/kids-in-law are doing it all wrong, but you can't say anything! (They're doing fine, btw).

I saw some code on my son's laptop and figured out what my birthday present must be. I'll just play along and act surprised.

Gorgeous day. Nipped to the supermarket and got three more bottles of that wine we had on Monday.
                  Same with the child minding, the kids are so different and whilst I believe very few kids are born bad so many seem to be turned bad by their environment. Mrs V minds a kid that hisses like a cat when they don't like something, one that cries explosively when asked to share (we are talking lying face down on the floor kicking & screaming for an hour not a little whinge) trying to keep your mouth shut is hard.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    "A sieve of Eratosthenes! Just the thing I need, how nice." *puts it in the drawer with the others*

Comment

"A sieve of Eratosthenes! Just the thing I need, how nice." *puts it in the drawer with the others*

I'll tell him what you said. He's a full stack developer (C#), so it's pretty close!

For several years now the youngsters been creating various quiz shows for me to play on my Birthday - tailored to me. For my 50th, they did Pointless, last year was Only Connect (seriously difficult) - this year it's House of Games. It was the HouseOfGames class that gave it away. Coupled with the fact that youngest daughter has been busy making electronic light-up buzzers for the past few weeks.

The make it even more challenging by waiting until I've a had a few drinks before playing.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X