• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Oh deep joy.

The spreadsheet pleb has added duplicate reference numbers to his precious master sheet.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Call 2 done - still a goer...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Don't knock Excel - I use it to write SQLs. Here's one I was working on today to tidy up and split a field where we had 2,500 rows and the end user didn't set maintain the data uniformly...

="update test.table1 set ITEM1 = '"&IFERROR(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(G2," ",""), FIND(":", SUBSTITUTE(G2," ",""))),LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(G2," ",""),FIND("/",SUBSTITUTE(G2," ",""))))&"' , ITEM2 ='"&RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(G2," ",""),(LEN(SUBSTITUTE(G2," ",""))-LEN(IFERROR(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(G2," ",""), FIND(":",SUBSTITUTE(G2," ",""))),LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(G2," ",""),FIND("/",SUBSTITUTE(G2," ","")))))))&"', DESC1 = '.' where ADDRESS = "&A2&" and REF = '"&B2&"' and ITEM1 = "&G2&" ; "

...probably could be done easier/quicker, but who cares, I got paid for it, it meant they didn't send it to the "SQL Guru" who would have taken a week to write it and would have got it wrong, and I got to play for a bit.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I'm not knocking excel at all. I have done much with it for many years (I realise I undersold myself with my 10 years claim as I've been trading for 15 and had 9 years permie work prior to that, all using spreadsheets in one form or another).

It's a very powerful tool when used appropriately. It's a very unreliable tool when used by idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            It's a very powerful tool when used appropriately. It's a very unreliable tool when used by idiots.

Comment

Links are up

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                I've created a nice new thread for you in General.

Now stop polluting this board with your seriousness!

sorry Miss!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Lunch: poached egg and scrambled tomato on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toast (crust, very thick), bramble jelly blackcurrant jam sandwich x2 on same, red corner yog, 0.91 pints of the finest Glengettie tea.

Hammering away next door so I'll be out gardening or somesuch in the ongoing drizzle for much of the afternoon.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Ahhhh, baked potato. Yum.

Comment

Went for a walk around the block. The rain had stopped, there was blue in the sky and it was really quite warm in the sunshine.

Comment

Working...
                      X