• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My right ear is grumbling again, which is nature's way of telling me that I'm a lazy sod who doesn't clean my hearing aids often enough

So I decided to give it a rest from telly tonight and read instead. The question then was what to read.

In browsing the bookshelves, I discovered that I have, at different times, bought two copies of Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment. Both remain unread. I should put them next to the two copies of Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar; though at least I read that one out of the library when I was younger, while I've never read any of Fyodor's stuff

Comment

Bedroom redecorating finished. Carpet shampooed, furniture slowly being brought back in.

Only bedroom #3 left to do.

New bathroom floor going in tomorrow.

TFBSZ
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        My right ear is grumbling again, which is nature's way of telling me that I'm a lazy sod who doesn't clean my hearing aids often enough

So I decided to give it a rest from telly tonight and read instead. The question then was what to read.

In browsing the bookshelves, I discovered that I have, at different times, bought two copies of Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment. Both remain unread. I should put them next to the two copies of Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar; though at least I read that one out of the library when I was younger, while I've never read any of Fyodor's stuff
        What's this 'ere ear?

Oddly I suffer from ear irritation too.

I discovered that TCP is quite magic at causing inneresting pain & removing earwax whilst killing off the offending irritation/pimple.

I regularly look at the piles of books surrounding whilst quietly wondering why there's two copies of certain tomes.

I remember buying a 2nd copy of a Poul Anderson Flandry tome that I had no recollection of reading previously until I put it in the appropriate place on the bookshelf right next to the original copy.

I seem to do it a lot more often these days with dvds, though I have bought "Vulcan Boys" twice.

To keep it clear, that's about bomber pilots rather than poiny eared aliens.

Fortunately I discovered this error on returning home & got a refund.

Also I don't really do quality literature if I can help it so the like of Plath & Fyodor have little chance of duplication.

Some of said books have resided unread for decades, as has been mentioned previously.

The Quirkolody book is proving problematic since I find it difficult to read more than a couple of pages at a time, and the chapters are 40 pages long which pisses me off.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

The question of what to read took some time to resolve. I started with Upton Sinclair's The Jungle, but I wasn't in the mood for more than a chapter and a bit of that. So then I thought I'd try Charlie Stross's Glasshouse, but again I wasn't really in the mood for it; I'm not so keen on that kind of sci-fi anyway

Finally I remembered that, for years, I've been meaning to reread The Great Gatsby, which I haven't read in, probably, more than twenty years. I did this one for Eng Lit O Level, so I used to know it pretty well. But I now have a better appreciation for how unutterably ghastly the people in it are; I got about a quarter or a third of the way through, and there really isn't a single person in there one could stand for a second

Moon's up again, looking very shiny

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all

Comment

Morning all

Drizzly.

Grey.

Sunless.

Damp.

Right eustachian tube blocked overnight so unpleasantly deaf.

Doomed etc.

Thursday.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

The Dog (tw) has been walked. It's murky out, in fact at one point on our walk we even had a little bit of precipitation.

Weather due to improve over the next couple of hours until it turns into a proper scorcher of a weekend.

Comment

Morning denizens

Very grey out; the sun has currently found a very tiny patch of thinner cloud to peer through, but that won't last as there aren't many of them

Already at 19°C though, and predicted to reach 26° by late afternoon

Comment

75th anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing today. This means it's also the 25th anniversary of my eldest niece's christening. Not sure it was deliberately planned for the 50th anniversary, I think that was just the only date when they could book the village church and everybody could travel down for the occasion, it being on a Sunday that year

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      75th anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing today. This means it's also the 25th anniversary of my eldest niece's christening. Not sure it was deliberately planned for the 50th anniversary, I think that was just the only date when they could book the village church and everybody could travel down for the occasion, it being on a Sunday that year
                      Watched the film Radioactive last night where they were interspersing Madam Curie's research with the positive & negative uses of it, Enola Gay featured. As if a Polish female scientist winning 2 nobel prizes, having a scandalous relationship with her lab partner, revolutionising battlefield medicine and creating a partial cure for cancer wasn't exciting enough.

Not a bad film.

Pity people don't recognise the bombing of Hiroshima as the end of world war because of MAD (at least for a bit).
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X