• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Confirmed that current contract will run until the end of August. 50/50 that we get another extension but that would probably be the last.

Client manager planning on departing sooner rather than later as well depending on when his pension kicks in next year.

Saying that they've just Tupe'd a bunch of staff to TCS who are now working to rule. TCS are gouging them on everything that "wasn't mentioned in the contract negotiations" and the pay rates for permie staff are crap so they will struggle to get anyone in who doesn't need 6 months to get up to speed, so we will see what happens. If I can hang on until the new year I'll count that as a win.
    Better than nowt I suppose

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      I don't know if they do it here, but in the USA, UPS plan each delivery so that there are no left turns (equivalent to right turns here). They reckon they save millions of dollars in fuel every year through vans not having to wait to cross traffic then accelerate again

Not done here, but then again we don't have the rule where you can turn when the light is red.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Distribution logistics rarely makes sense
        Logistics is rarely logical, which is why there's good money to be made designing systematic logic to satisfy the fuzzy business logic.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Walk walked.

Sun came out on the way back down.

Parents' grave inspected, now bereft of horsetail. (I pulled it all up the other day).

Grandparents' grave relieved of some of the load of pebbles.

Chap from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission wandered by, looking for the last such grave in the cemetery.

He couldn't find it, but I pointed out to him where it was.

Some poor sod who bought it in 1943 apparently.

Since the cemeteries are in such poor state, there's a wall in Cardiff where they'll be memorialised instead, with the existing stone laid flat.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Logistics is rarely logical, which is why there's good money to be made designing systematic logic to satisfy the fuzzy business logic.
            You'd never think there was a transportation algorithm.

One of the joys of Operational Research for CEI Part II 40 years ago.

Innerestingly enough, the graduates of the Logistics Degree at Ye Sloughe of Desponde earned far more than the graduates of the Electronics Degree.

Lunch: Heinz pea & ham soup (non zingy), Morrisons sunflower seed bread, red pippy corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Afternoon's endeavours: pick up all the windfall apples on next door's path & under the tree.

Do some more preparation of the soon to be lawn, since I now have the seed but the weeds are taking over again since the last time I did this.

Might even get as far as seeding a part of it if I'm lucky and don't die of a heart attack during the preparation phase.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 16 July 2020, 11:39.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              I don't know if they do it here, but in the USA, UPS plan each delivery so that there are no left turns (equivalent to right turns here). They reckon they save millions of dollars in fuel every year through vans not having to wait to cross traffic then accelerate again
              Indeed, it featured on an episode of Mythbusters

MythBusters - Left Turns Ahead | Waterslide Wipeout - YouTube

Comment

Just logged off. That's me done for the week

Now off to collect HWMBO from the aiport

Comment

Lunch: Heinz oxtail soup, with wholemeal toast

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Just logged off. That's me done for the week

Now off to collect HWMBO from the aiport

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      4 out of 5 boxes delivered for the paint. One of which was a bit dented, but otherwise OK.
                      The 5th one didn't make the delivery it was supposed to be on. Not sure when it is coming.
                      Thankfully it was a second 5l tin of another one, so there's no immediate rush.

In other news, the paint was shipped from Gillingham, Dorset. That's about 125 driving miles from here.
                      The actual route was:
                      Gillingham - Poole (30 miles)
                      Poole - Newcastle Under Lyme (215 miles)
                      Newcastle - Fareham (191 miles)
                      Fareham - Camberley (52 miles)
                      Camberley - WTFH (30 miles)

It's 44 miles from Poole to Fareham, not 406.
                      Gillingham to Camberley is 69 miles. Or 488 in a taxi apparently...
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X