• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Good point, though I'm estimating there'll be enough to fill the flan baking thingies I have three times, and I only have two of them, so it'll probably just be one portion left anyway
    Make a crumble with the last portion.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Make a crumble with the last portion.
      That's a thought - I have no idea how to make a crumble, so that would be a good way to learn

Or a sponge pudding. My parents used to make a mean sponge pudding when I was a kid (not both at the same time, just whichever one was free to make it at the time it needed to be made), and I really should ask them how it's done while they're still around

Comment

Tea: the 2nd portion of duck breast, followed by orange segments and custard (this last boiled all over the microwave just to add to the joy of life), a portion of yesterday's rice pud (cold), and 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Timeless S1 E12 "The Murder of Jesse James".

Then The Monkman and Seagull Genius Adventures.

Then Nazi Megastructures re D Day, presumably The Atlantic Wall and associated bunkering.

I see that POTUS is now referred to as "Bunker Boy".
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          That's a thought - I have no idea how to make a crumble, so that would be a good way to learn

Or a sponge pudding. My parents used to make a mean sponge pudding when I was a kid (not both at the same time, just whichever one was free to make it at the time it needed to be made), and I really should ask them how it's done while they're still around
          That be an Eve's pudding, very simple. Don't fall for the mistake I made - I'm so used to using a skewer to check the batter is cooked and kept thinking it wasn't cooked because it didn't come out clean. It never will if you poke it in so it reaches the apple/sponge boundary
          Eve's pudding recipe | BBC Good Food

Crumble is very simple - basic recipe is 150g flour, 100g butter, 85g sugar. Rub it all together so it looks like sandy rubble. About 20 mins in the oven will do it. You can add oats for extra crunch and a whole heap of other stuff.

Comment

Extra walk walked. Am now at 8,579 steps and I ain't going out again to make up the short fall.

Now to think about dinner.

SpO2 97% / 75

(it was 91% yesterday but I'm glad to see it was a temporary blip)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              SpO2 97% / 75
              (it was 91% yesterday but I'm glad to see it was a temporary blip)
              Darn it LM! I didn't know what a SpO was and Googled. Thought those Pulse Oximeters looked good so looked at buying one.

Now all my scantily clad lady ads on the online news have been replaced by pulse oximeter ads. !!!
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Darn it LM! I didn't know what a SpO was and Googled. Thought those Pulse Oximeters looked good so looked at buying one.

Now all my scantily clad lady ads on the online news have been replaced by pulse oximeter ads. !!!
                We have NF to thank for the pulse oximeter tip off, although I was a bit late to the party and had to pay over the odds to find one that wasn't being shipped from China some time next year.

Comment

Ribs and chips for tea

And more ribs now vacuum-packed and freezing for future use

And the apple tarts have baked while I was eating and are now cooling on the wire tray. I remembered I had a some flaked almonds left, so I sprinkled a bunch of those on top as an experiment; they're nicely browned.

And as the flan dishes are a bit big for a single portion, I used the trimmings from the pastry to construct a wall across the centre of each one, like Berlin. The theory is that I can slice along there, and end up with half to eat now and half for later with the apple held in place by the wall. No idea if it'll actually work, but I'll find out in a bit

Comment

Dinner was a simple pasta / pesto thing.

I realised it is negroni week so I have challenged myself to finding, and making, seven variants on the negroni. All put on Instagram to brag about it in a justification of alcoholism kinda way. Today's was the classic. Tomorrow, as I messed up starting the classic, will be a white negroni. That gives me time to find a small bottle of fizz and chill it for the sbagliato version later in the week.

Comment

Well, the apple (and almond) tart was very nice; still warm, with Sainsbury's TTD salted caramel and honeycomb ice cream

And the Berlin technique seems to have worked - using the big sharp chef's knife so I only had to make a single cut, it sliced half of it away cleanly and the wall is holding in the filling from the other half

Comment

Working...
                      X