• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

So turns out that things weren't fixed yesterday. I've got reports resurrecting companies that disappeared in 2016.

Why do people think you can just drop a table and there be no consequences? So many reports screwed up because the new kid in the team said "there were six duplicate tables, I did you a favour and tidied them up!"

Yeah tidied them up with zero thought for what might use them.

I.Am.Livid.

Still, I am now in exit planning mode and have my don't care hat on. I'll fix it today but I soon won't be around to pick up after his mess.

This is the same chap who didn't structure an UPDATE TABLE command properly and set every airport in the world to be in China. I had to fix that too.

There was a time when one would rename a table before deletion... you know, just in case one had missed something in one's pre Armageddon analysis. I guess that's just a bit old fashioned these days.

Ho-hum... oh to be young and so sure of one's self.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

morning

CBS and KB in sunny, shivery sarf herts.

thursday.

meh.

Comment

In with the hoi polloi

Sun's out.

Quite blindingly so in fact.

In other news, Regressive are continuing to inform me of permie roles in Gloucestershire.

At rates I wouldn't work for here, much less there.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 6 February 2020, 10:18.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Clear blue sky out there

Not very warm though; just up to 4°C, and there’s still frost on such areas of outbuilding roofs as haven’t yet been reached by the sun

Comment

So turns out that things weren't fixed yesterday. I've got reports resurrecting companies that disappeared in 2016.

Why do people think you can just drop a table and there be no consequences? So many reports screwed up because the new kid in the team said "there were six duplicate tables, I did you a favour and tidied them up!"

Yeah tidied them up with zero thought for what might use them.

I.Am.Livid.

Still, I am now in exit planning mode and have my don't care hat on. I'll fix it today but I soon won't be around to pick up after his mess.

This is the same chap who didn't structure an UPDATE TABLE command properly and set every airport in the world to be in China. I had to fix that too.

Though the China thing does have a certain flair to it - if you’re going to screw up drastically, it may as well have ridiculous consequences

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Though the China thing does have a certain flair to it - if you’re going to screw up drastically, it may as well have ridiculous consequences
              yep, if you must FU, might as well be BAR.

Comment

Three hours later and it's fixed.

Luckily, I am a bit of a hoarder when it comes to data. I pull copies of the Power BI reports off the online portal every now and then to keep a snapshot. This is what gave me the data I needed to properly restore the tables.

The issue is a horrible tactical database that pretty much underpins all reporting at ClientCo. It's not built as a proper relational database, each table started life as an excel / csv file and is appended to via either manual uploads or overnight batch jobs. The new kid was "tidying" a reference table.

I agree the reference table was rubbish but then you could extend that to the entire database.

No-one likes the strategic databases because they're fully normalised and they don't like all the multiple joins needed to get data out. That and the offshore DBAs have done a rubbish job of some of the reference tables, so if a new flight is added to the schedule for example, it can't be picked up from the Airport Database (the master of all truth) it has to be manually added after someone notices it's missing.

I'm currently struggling to understand why I said I like this client...

Comment

All billable!

Comment

Luckily, I am a bit of a hoarder when it comes to data. I pull copies of the Power BI reports off the online portal every now and then to keep a snapshot. This is what gave me the data I needed to properly restore the tables.

The issue is a horrible tactical database that pretty much underpins all reporting at ClientCo. It's not built as a proper relational database, each table started life as an excel / csv file and is appended to via either manual uploads or overnight batch jobs. The new kid was "tidying" a reference table.

I agree the reference table was rubbish but then you could extend that to the entire database.

No-one likes the strategic databases because they're fully normalised and they don't like all the multiple joins needed to get data out. That and the offshore DBAs have done a rubbish job of some of the reference tables, so if a new flight is added to the schedule for example, it can't be picked up from the Airport Database (the master of all truth) it has to be manually added after someone notices it's missing.

I'm currently struggling to understand why I said I like this client...
                    and the cocky one's fingers? how broken are They?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      All billable!
                      This is very true! I am fixing an employee's mistake and not my own...

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      and the cocky one's fingers? how broken are They?
                      They are intact but only because I'm not in the office today. I may have calmed down by Monday in which case he got off lightly.

Comment

Working...
                      X