• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by covbob View Post
    Yes, it's all a bit awkward!

From my POV coming from Nottingham I either have the A46, the A6 or the M1. One of these is a long trawl through Lboro, one is OK until you get to the Hobby Horse (then it's a crawl down Melton Road or go round to a crawl down Abbey Lane. Having Loughborough Road closed shafts both of them) and the M1 is chronic with the 50 limit, roadworks and associated fun. You pays your money and takes your choice!

What did the Romans ever do for us anyway?
    Going to and from Nottingham when I was at Capital One the other year, I ended up changing the habits of a lifetime just to get to central Nottingham by eight in the morning, meaning I could leave at four in the afternoon and make it down the A46 just before the worst of the rush hour at this end. It saved me a full hour of travelling, I reckon.

Comment

When I worked in Bristol some 21 years ago, one had to get to the M4/M32 junction by half past 7 to get to work by 8 so one might off bugger at 16:00 so as to miss the traffic up the M32 to the M4 in the afternoon.

Which meant getting up at 05:30, again changing the habits of a lifetime.

Now I get up at 06:15 just to get to a poorly paid job of nearly infinite tedium in Swansea.

The Bristol job was a nice contract working on a virtual reality (of sorts) tank simulator.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        When I worked in Bristol some 21 years ago, one had to get to the M4/M32 junction by half past 7 to get to work by 8 so one might off bugger at 16:00 so as to miss the traffic up the M32 to the M4 in the afternoon.

Now I get up at 06:15 just to get to a poorly paid job of nearly infinite tedium in Swansea.

The Bristol job was a nice contract working on a virtual reality (of sorts) tank simulator.
        When I was in Bristol I stayed during the week and worked into the evening, so I could arrive late on Monday and leave early on Friday. But occasionally I ended up leaving later on Friday afternoon, and had to deal with that wretched jam up the M32 and M4 to the M5

That was at Bristol's GWR 96.3FM™, though the project covered the websites for all the GWR group's local radio stations around the country - thirty-four of them as I recall.

All replaced by a robot with an iPod streaming tunes from a broom cupboard in Global Radio's London offices now

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Might leave the shopping until this evening, if only because it gives me an excuse to go to the chip shop on the way back
          Off to do the shopping, then reward myself with fish and chips

Comment

I flew in from schiphol, got a taxi to some crappy chain hotel near filton.
            occasionally stayed over a weekend (maintenance).
            nice town, good music scene IIRC

Comment

The shopping has been done. In the end, there were several bags, so I stopped off at home to offload it and put it all away, then proceeded to the chip shop.

They seem to be getting ideas above their station, as my cod & chips came adorned with a slice of lemon

Very nice, though

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                I flew in from schiphol, got a taxi to some crappy chain hotel near filton.
                occasionally stayed over a weekend (maintenance).
                nice town, good music scene IIRC
                Goodness me, I never go anywhere when staying away.

It's hotel -> work -> hotel and that's it.

Today I've taken another, different, antihistamine since the interweb reckons it's safe enough.

One of them is loratadine the other, this evening, being Cetirizine.

One to be taken in the morning, one to be taken in the evening.

Maybe I'll get a bit of relief that way.

Comment

Goodness me, I never go anywhere when staying away.

It's hotel -> work -> hotel and that's it.

Today I've taken another, different, antihistamine since the interweb reckons it's safe enough.

One of them is loratadine the other, this evening, being Cetirizine.

One to be taken in the morning, one to be taken in the evening.

Maybe I'll get a bit of relief that way.
                  you need to get out more, perchance?

Comment

Tonight's silver screen experience started with a rewatch of Mission: Impossible II (2000). It's good enough, but I think it's a little lacking in the gadgetry and the impossible stuff; more like a Bond in parts, with the whole business of getting the girl and spectacular chases and explosions instead. So, to follow, I also rewatched Mission: Impossible III (2006), which is more like it

And a quick episode of the final season of The Americans to round the evening off.

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      you need to get out more, perchance?
                      Nah. Any more than I need more FB "friends".

By the time I'd eaten all I wanted to do was watch some telly & go to sleep.

Southampton was really really unwonderful since one couldn't get Ch5 at one or other of the hotels which cut down the viewing experience by a whole 20%

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Tonight's silver screen experience started with a rewatch of Mission: Impossible II (2000). It's good enough, but I think it's a little lacking in the gadgetry and the impossible stuff; more like a Bond in parts, with the whole business of getting the girl and spectacular chases and explosions instead. So, to follow, I also rewatched Mission: Impossible III (2006), which is more like it

And a quick episode of the final season of The Americans to round the evening off.

Goodnight all
                      Never watched any MI films though I do have I & II as a boxset somewhere in the pile.

One now has MI-III in addition.

I shall sue if it's crap.

Lunch, a.k.a. brunch, was a Morrisons steak & kidney pie (unreduced) with Heinz(tm) Baked Beans.

It was very nice.

It's too damn hot & polleny out there to do much this afternoon.

So I won't.

It has recently attracted my attention that it being Midsummer's Day tomorrow, therefore today is St. John's Eve.

Mayhap thusly I should have a bonnefyre this evening.

Now where might one find some clean bones.

<- wot the bonnefyre shall do, very probably.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 23 June 2018, 11:08.

Comment

Working...
                      X