• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This evening's legal shenanigans have revolved around my parents' wills. They're held the a form of solicitors and my brother is going there tomorrow to collect them, but this needs my approval as joint executor. So he emailed me a suitable letter (he's a retired solicitor so he knows what to say) which I had to print out and sign, then scan and email back

I'd normally just print it to a PDF, then paste my signature over that and print it to a PDF again. But he said it's a slight possibility that the letter won't be enough and they'll want to check with me, so I figured having the printed and signed version to wave at them over Teams or Zoom or something might help. If not, I may have to knock off early and drive down there.

Comment

Meanwhile, the arrival of the Sainsbury's delivery gets ever closer - they're due between 20:37 and 21:37

Comment

Tea has been a roast shoulder of lamb dinner, and very nice it was too

Only just finished in time before the delivery arrives, though. At least I have a working doorbell here, so I don't feel the need to stand staring out the window to spot them arriving

Comment

Delivery arrived!

Pretty much bang on time too. The driver doesn't seem to have been here before, because he was marvelling at how nice and how peaceful and secluded the place is

Comment

Amidst all the cooking and good inwards tonight, I found time to watch the thing with the joint police and paramedic crews in Kent

And then I finished Goodfellas. It's a very good book, and the film is very faithful to it

Friday tomorrow!

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Cloudy start, though as sunrise approaches a few gaps higher up are becoming apparent. Seems a tad breezy too. Currently 8°C with a likely 12° this afternoon, and the barometers are down rather at 1014/1022mB

Comment

^^^Oh the joys of probate. The biggest pain in the arse was the Halifax. I forget how many appointments I made and it all went tits up time after time until my sister turned up with me and it got sorted there & then.

My new bus pass turned up yesterday: now good until 2034.

Morning.

Friday.

Grey.

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Wetly damp.

Chilly in here at 11.8 deg, 11.5 deg in the kitchen, 10.5 deg in the leanto.

1028 mBar, 30.357 in Hg, 771.1 Torr, 14.909 psi, (down from 1030 last night), 75% RH (GDR hair), 67% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 23rd of August 2019 everyone was hot, NF was having success with maps, and I was gardening, consuming the year's yield of potatoes for tea.

Lunch: scrambled egg etc. That tomato was past its best. .

Entertainment: "7th Cavalry" with that Randolph Scott <click>.

"Reinhard Gehlen: Hitler's Superspy". The German General who set up the Gehlen Organisation and ultimately the BND.

"Battlefield: U-Boat WW2". That's Tv alright.

Oz customs thing.

The Repair Shoppe: what looks remarkably like a B&D workmate being refurbished. Mine was a gift (subject to benefit in kind) from 3M a mere 46 years ago. Well that's another Trigger's broom. .

Freecell score: 100%, running average: 86%.

Tea: soup etc.

Entertainment: bollox on Blaze <click> The News Quiz.

Hendrix at Woodstock.

Cracking the Code on Blaze. Probly more bollox. Or not:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizebeth_Smith_Friedman

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_F._Friedman

Border Controls Spain: a tulipload of ciggies at a guess, along with bits of car, coca leaves, and possibly lama foetuses.

90 litres of Olive oil this time & Yoruba deities & stuff from Cuba, one of which is a smoked rat: confiscated.

No frog fat. .

History's greatest mysteries: The Body on Somerton Beach.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...20death%20mask.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 2 February 2024, 23:16.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Lunch: herby chicken, tomato and lentil soup with a crust of wholemeal

Turned quite Simpsonesque out now

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                    ^^^Oh the joys of probate. The biggest pain in the arse was the Halifax. I forget how many appointments I made and it all went tits up time after time until my sister turned up with me and it got sorted there & then.
                    We're hoping my brother's legal background will help us through the process. But he was in commercial property law, and stuff like doing the conveyancing when the Trafford Centre got sold is presumably rather different to what we need

Comment

The probates weren't problematic, it was the Halifax being incompetent & losing stuff etc. that was the pain in the arse.

I did all the paperwork in work so they paid for the paper. .
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X