• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

Cloudy start here, but relatively mild again: 3°C now and getting to 6° by lunchtime. The barometers are at 1033/1041mB, but as this is a different location, who knows if that's up or down compared to yesterday?

Suppose I'd better start getting ready for the funeral

Comment

^^ hope all goes well today NF

Morning all

Dull and cloudy. Looks a bit damp out (dew, I suspect as there's not been any rain AFAIK). No rain forecast. Currently 6 degrees ('feels like' 3) and once again the weather is being inconsistent about the high for the day, could be 6, could be 7. Barometer remains at 1034 mBar.

TFIF. Had enough of this week!

Comment

Morning.

Friday.

Dry.

Blue sky in parts.

Sunnyish.

Not so cold in here at 10.7 deg, 9 deg in the kitchen, 7.5 deg in the leanto, 4.5 deg in the salting house.

1035 mBar, 30.56 in Hg, 776.313 Torr, 15.011 psi, (down from 1036 last night (1041 according to Mumbles)), 76% RH (GDR hair), 58% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 16th of August 2019 it was raining on LM who was duly moist, HWMBO was roasting quail, I suppose someone has to, NF was playing with maps whilst occasionally looking out of the window at the proles plodding along with umbrellas under the rainy grey sky, whereas I was watching "Shane", though presumably not the version dubbed in Welsh.

Shirts in the WM.

Shirts out of the WM.

Smalls in the WM.

Smalls out of the WM, &, together with the shirts, pegged out on the line.

Cottons in the WM.

Cottons out of the WM & pegged out on the line.

All of the above would have dried more quickly if there was a hint of a breeze.

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the wan sunshine.

Lunch: scrambled egg etc.

Entertainment: One 2 One whatever that is, Carpe Diem apparently.

Some nice bomb noises from Yemen. Mad Mitch would have been pleased. .

Shopping trip to Morrisons & The Works done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away.

Shirts in off the line & in the TD.

Shirts out of the TD.

Oz customs thing: largest calibre handgun legal in Oz: .38. Chap coming back from Bali has a "firearm" confiscated: a truly deadly popgun that shoots those little orange balls.

Smalls in off the line & in the TD.

Smalls out of the TD.

Cottons in off the line & in the TD and they're still there at 19:00.

Shirts roughly iRoned & airing upstairs. Smalls airing upstairs.

Tea: soup etc.

Entertainment: PM.

The News Quiz. It used to be funny.

Vanished Wales: Godregraig: the moving mountain.

NCIS S17 E2: one with Ziva.

Freecell score: 95%, running average:86%.

Minute by Minute emergency The one with the terrorist with a knife who gets offed with a 40 S&W. Wrong. Another nutter with a knife. Sadly not offed with a 40 S&W but pinned to the ground with two chairs and a milk crate after a chase.

This scrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...eads-guilty-to

Spanish Customs thing. Two miscreants with 4.8 kg of coke between them all wrapped up as noodles & suchlike. . Chap with a transit (or similar) stuffed full of nicked bits of motorbike & a whole nicked motorbike. No frogfat or llama foetuses so far.

Who knew smuggling live elvers to China was a thing? Feck me, it's a thing alright. .
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 12 January 2024, 23:42.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Home again!

The funeral went as well as can be expected. Turned out I wasn't doing the reading at the church - the deacon who was officiating snaffled it for himself, though I didn't find this out until we were entering the pews

But I did Fern Hill at the crematorium, and knocked 'em all bandy with it

The wake at the same pub as my Mum's was good too. Nice food, and a good turnout. One of my Dad's oldest friends turned up, and I managed not to blurt out to him that I thought he'd died years ago

The journey back wasn't too bad, and I stopped off at not-quite-big-enough Sainsbury's to save having to do any shopping over the weekend

Comment

Past me thought it would be a good idea to strip the bed and leave it to air overnight, then make it when I got home. Present me can see his reasoning, but has also identified one major flaw - to wit, that I've now got to make the bed

Comment

Good warning on the bed front. I was considering doing that Sunday morning before I head up to visit HWMBO for a week.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Good warning on the bed front. I was considering doing that Sunday morning before I head up to visit HWMBO for a week.
                It's made now, but I can't say I enjoyed it

But it'll be worth it when I come to use it, so it's all about the tradeoff really

Comment

Book club today, I actually read something. Lady hosting it is an MBE, featured in articles in various major press outlets inc. BBC, DM and Guardian.

Mikey Argy: ‘I don’t blame the parents who rejected babies with thalidomide’ | Thalidomide | The Guardian
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Just had a conversation with The Wife that I wouldn’t have imagined 10 years ago, pertaining to the dates of the Port Isaac Sea Shanty Festival (turns out it’s 19-21st April) and whether we were going (oh yes! ).
                    Need to finalise our accommodation, and then we’ve got something to look forward to.

Anyway, TFBSZ
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      Just had a conversation with The Wife that I wouldn’t have imagined 10 years ago, pertaining to the dates of the Port Isaac Sea Shanty Festival (turns out it’s 19-21st April) and whether we were going (oh yes! ).
                      Need to finalise our accommodation, and then we’ve got something to look forward to.

Anyway, TFBSZ
                      "Soon may the Wellerman come…"

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Killers of the Flower Moon (2023) which has just become available on Apple TV+ and is, I thought, very good. It's about the way a bunch of immigrants (or US citizens, as they like to style themselves) set out to murder members of the resident Osage nation to gain the rights to their oil, often by marrying into their families and then killing them. At nearly three-and-a-half-hours it isn't a fast-paced story, but it isn't a story that should be rushed. Well worth setting the time aside for.

Robert de Niro's character plays a central role in the story, and a number of his mannerisms are (perhaps inevitably) rather similar to those he displays in The Intern (2015) and as I haven't watched that in a few weeks, I figured I'd watch it again. I do like that one, which probably explains why I've watched it so many times

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X