• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busy day over at this coal face too.

Had a chat with an agent who wanted to put me forward for a role with IAG (thems that own BA) despite me saying I have zero experience of resource planning and rostering, and especially not the kind of rostering one needs for an airline or five. He shared the name of the consultancy so I might have a shifty and see what else they have going.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Busy day over at this coal face too.

Had a chat with an agent who wanted to put me forward for a role with IAG (thems that own BA) despite me saying I have zero experience of resource planning and rostering, and especially not the kind of rostering one needs for an airline or five. He shared the name of the consultancy so I might have a shifty and see what else they have going.
      Just go for it. You'll soon pick it up

Comment

The opal hunters were into a new season tonight, and old Les has recovered very well from his third degree burns. I think it's getting very close to "seen it all before" territory now, though

And later, E1 of Rise of the Nazis: The Manhunt, concerning the Nuremberg trials and related captures and prosecutions in the immediate aftermath of the fall of the Third Reich; there are two more episodes which will presumably cover the later efforts to catch and try the outstanding villains.

It's become extremely windy again after quietening down earlier in the evening

Not sure if it's related, but my Internet connection seems to be very unreliable at the moment. Luckily I have one of those 4G backup connections which seems a bit more stable

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Very grey start out and still very windy, albeit not quite as bad as last night. Relatively mild: 16°C, though not getting higher than 18° later. The barometers are down some more at 984/992mB. And the edge of a broad belt of rain, stretching from southwest to northeast, will start moving across us in about five minutes and continue to do so for much of the day, although it may ease off into occasional showers after lunch

Comment

Morning

Wednesday.

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Grey.

Wet.

Windy.

Sunless.

Cool in here at 19 deg, 20.5 deg in the kitchen, 18 deg in the leanto.

990 mBar, 29.234 in Hg, 742.56 Torr, 14.358 psi, (down from 996 last night), 77% RH (GDR hair), 76% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the halcyon day of the 13th of July 2019 PhilTheGreek gave a good review to "The Mule" (with that Clinton Eastwood bloke) and I pottered about fixing bits of scrap pilfered electronics with little success, whereas the job applications were equally unsuccessful other than in generating a shedload of spam.

Woke unbidden at 06:45 (well at least it wasn't 04:00 again) with the Finals Dream, one of my absolute favourites. . This one involved some practical exam or other which didn't go well & I walked out. Curiously it involved crossing the thread on some assembly or other, most peculiar, and very specific.

I can't listen to Today when Nick fecking Robinson is on it, and particularly not this morning when they're bigging themselves up for some scoop over the green crap. Looking on the bright side, at least amol fecking rajan seems to have fecked off (I don't watch University Challenge even when Loogabaroo are on it).

Freecell score in the ceaseless deluge: 100%, running average: 86%.

Lunch: scrambled egg etc.

Entertainment: Y&Y <click>

In other news the rain has paused.

Sun's out. Blue sky in parts. Wind has dropped.

Freecell score: 100%, running average:86%.

Tea: soup etc.

Entertainment: PM <click>

JoP. Jop.

The Directors: David Lean (this dropped out completely for 5 minutes which was irritating, must be sunspots).

Discovering Kate Winslet (the chances of watching all of this are remote).

The WWWC waffling on about The Unexplained: tombs. Reading carbonised scrolls from Pompeii while they're still wrapped seems remarkable.

Strange Evidence. More bollox.

The Rise of the Nazis: Mein Fuehrer I can valk!
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 20 September 2023, 22:08.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Afternoon all

Overcast, windy. Currently 19 degrees and that's the high for the day. Rain expected off and on all day in varying levels of enthusiasm. Barometer down to 1002 mBar.

Busy day from the get-go today. Had to present to the business some challenges with a report because I didn't trust the delivery lead to describe it with any competence. Found out the tester didn't even have in their test plan any scope for validating the new report features that their product manager had asked for. They've since created some data and we now have to wait for it to percolate through.

Cornflakes for lunch as I couldn't be bothered to make anything more substantial.

Comment

Lunch: mixed charcuterie butties

And then a chat with the person responsible for my contract. Due to budget shenanigans imposed from above a few days ago, it appears this project will come to a shuddering halt at the end of the month. The problem is that it cuts across all areas of the department but had to be allocated to one of them, and now the person in charge of that area has declared that there's no money left

Fair enough, and TBH I never understood why it was under their wing anyway. But there'll still be some work left to do before it starts being used in the wild, at the end of October

Anyway, another bunch would like to get me and are OK with me part-time finishing this thing off while getting into their stuff, so I should be carrying on one way or another. The only issue is the bureaucratic arrangements around cost codes being reallocated or some such, which is one of those things that sometimes goes like a breeze and other times gets bogged in the mire. But, being inside IR35 and PAYE via the agency, I've got a bunch of leave waiting to be taken before the end of the year. So the ideal scenario is that it takes them a couple of weeks to sort out the cost codes, giving me a nice break, and then I come back in and finish off this thing while getting started on something else that takes me into next year and, with any luck, an extension in February

Comment

I decided cornflakes was simply not sufficient fodder and I made a very nice bacon butty.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Just go for it. You'll soon pick it up
                    You're probably right! It's a common trope that women will seek to be the best match possible for a role whereas men tend wing it far more.

Comment

Double rainbow outside, neatly framing the two Art Deco blocks!

Comment

Working...
                      X