• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of you NF

Parkrun this morning was hard work. Getting out the carpark was harder work - took best part of an hour thanks to 3-way traffic control that failed to allow for 100s of cars wanting to leave the park at the same time.

Plans for the rest of the weekend include an online themed Cards against Humanity game, and procrastinating about gardening.

to ladymuck HWMBO. We should arrange gin soon.

Comment

Thanks everybody <- manly where appropriate

I've decided to head south in a bit; my brother is bringing my nieces up from London, so it'll be better to have the whole family together

Comment

Home again. I'm not sure what the usual thing to do on these occasions is, but our Dad had decided that going to the café in the park near their home for coffee and cake would be just the thing, so that's what we did

Comment

Lines of communication with the Chinese were successfully opened, and the wait isn't even that long - about forty minutes

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Home again. I'm not sure what the usual thing to do on these occasions is, but our Dad had decided that going to the café in the park near their home for coffee and cake would be just the thing, so that's what we did
            We had a fish and chip supper the day my Dad died and my brother took his watch to wear at a gig he was due to play at that evening.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

to ladymuck HWMBO. We should arrange gin soon.
              Definitely!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Not sure there is a 'usual'. There's little you can practically do at the weekend assuming that those who need to be immediately told have been. So coffee and cake sounds just right.

Anyway, as a minor distraction, you may enjoy reading about the latest drama in the quizzing/countdown world - potted summary here

https://www.reddit.com/r/UniversityC...ut_dave_garda/

Clearly not the brightest spark. Plenty more on twitter if it piques your interest!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Not sure there is a 'usual'. There's little you can practically do at the weekend assuming that those who need to be immediately told have been. So coffee and cake sounds just right.

Anyway, as a minor distraction, you may enjoy reading about the latest drama in the quizzing/countdown world - potted summary here

https://www.reddit.com/r/UniversityC...ut_dave_garda/

Clearly not the brightest spark. Plenty more on twitter if it piques your interest!
                  I'd heard something about these quizzing shenanigans via a Twitter thread the other day, and wondered if you were abreast of the situation

And you and ladymuck seem very much in agreement with my brother's comment on the phone this morning when I was worried that my Dad might be too stressed out and tired today to handle visitors: "There's no precedent for this situation, we just each have to do what we think is best and deal with things as they happen." Turned out he could handle it and coffee and cake happened

Comment

Tonight's first major motion picture was one of those I last watched so long ago (late 1980s, I think) that it might as well have been a premiere: WarGames (1983) in which a computer is simultaneously smart enough to hold a conversation, yet dumb enough to not realise that noughts and crosses can't be won if both players play correctly. So very much like ChatGPT and suchlike "AI" things then

And then I rewatched Apollo 13 (1995) even though I watched it not long ago and have seen it many times

It's still very windy here, at least by local standards

Goodnight all

Comment

^^^"The only way to win is not to play". Send the memo to that Putin twat.

Morning.

Sunday.

Wet. Very wet. Wetly very wet.

Grey.

Sunless.

Cool in here at 19.4 deg, 20.5 deg in the kitchen, 18.5 deg in the leanto.

1004 mBar, 14.56 in Hg, 753.1 Torr, 14.56 psi, (up from 998 last night), 71% RH (GDR hair), 68% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 28th of June 2019, having been mentioned in dispatches, who should appear but Diver , busily in the process of installing a gas hob. What could possibly go wrong. . It was, apparently, a fine day.

Shopping trip to Morrisons done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away.

Lunch: baked potatoes (rather more baked than yesterday Just To Make Sure) with cheese and baked beans, a red corner yog (BBE 09/07/23), bramble jelly and marmalade on slices of toast that was nowhere near as toasted as yesterday's toast, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: The Infinite Monkey Cage S8 E1 "Death" (becase I can't stand ISIHAC and have loathed it for more than 40 years).

Freecell score: 88%, running average: 85%.

Entertainment: Blaze: load of bollox about ODESSA (the file, not the place) and Martin Borman's skull.

Load of bollox about Stonehenge and The Archer (not Dan or Doris, rather the skeleton found buried in the ditch, with arrows). Turns out the arrows were stuck in him rather than a tribute.

Joy of Painting. . a bit missing on this one, probably due to the during the bollox above. .

Joy of Painting. . more evident in this one with a miraculously appearing mountain.

DMAX: NASA's unexplained files: stuck airlock door on MIR. Those Italian radio hams in the early 60s with their recordings of "Soviet cosmonauts": fake. The White Rain in Oregon & Washington State: due to hurricane force winds blowing over a dried up salt lake. Strange circular UFOs photographed: turns out to be lens flare from street lights. The mountains on Pluto.

Blaze: America's book of secrets with Lance Reddick. Tedious recap of the usual UFO bollox. But, looking on the bright side, no Rendlesham Forest. .

A spy amongst Friends E2. Turned the lights off to watch some of it coz it's so dark.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 17 July 2023, 08:02.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X