• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

Yet another grey start out, 11°C now, 19° later, barometers down some more at 1009/1017mB

I was awoken around half one by weird and unsettling dreams involving the dead rising from their graves and seeking me out. Unusual for me to be disturbed by classic horror trope nightmares, but there we are. I went for a piss, and then slept reasonably well the rest of the night

Comment

Morning.

Thursday.

Dry.

Sunny.

Cool in here at 19.9 deg, 21.5 deg in the kitchen, 19 deg in the leanto.

1013 mBar, in Hg, Torr, psi, (down from 1014 last night), 68% RH (GDR hair), 64% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 13th of June 2019 NF cooked a nice meal while I read some bollox about that Hitler's secret weapons, many of which were pure fantasy on the part of the author. I'm rather grateful that I have no recall whatsoever of that book. It met Oxfam.

The recycling engineers made their merry way along the road earlier.

The cleaning of the springs in the junkroom continues apace.

Stuff that hasn't been moved in years has been moved, including the desk in the bay window (there being an ulterior motive for this of course, being the glass fragments on the windowsill).

Found a curious little pile of "stuff" that may or may be something left by another inhabitant. I may wash the curtains for the first time since 1998.

Desk duly polished and the carpet thereunder duly vacced to death. The Orange Vax will be pressed into use to access some of the areas I can't reach with the other Vax. There was another little pile of death woodlice, possibly offed by a spider.

Lunch: baked potatoes with cheese and baked beans, a red pippy corner yog, bramble jelly & marmalade on slices of toast, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y about someone who sells pans, Sliced Bread about waterproof/water resistant clothing.

The little pile of "stuff" turned out to be a decomposed foam filter from a piece of test equipment.

Curtains in the wash.

The vertical blinds, much like the bay window, appear to have reached their limit of utility, with a cascade of bits when disturbed. Bit of potching with some wire put them back up well enough for now.

Curtains out of the WM & pegged out on the line.

Nearly brained myself once or twice. Fitted a stabilising brace to the over desk equipment rack. Charged the assorted drill batteries.

Put much stuff back whence it came. Even put the antistatic mat on the desk. It's only been in here about 10 years, no rush. Lots of filth collected in assorted vacuum cleaners.

Knackered now.

Tea: chilli con carne with rice, the last of the mango slices, a yog, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM.

Wheeler Dealers S13 E6 1963 Corvair "Unsafe At Any Speed" particularly if the tub o' lard is driving. Bought (from a scrap yard): $2k, total: $11,345, sold: $18k. New interior. Uprated the rear suspension to stop it tucking under. New shocks & springs all round. Engine refurb: new gaskets & oil seals on the rocker tubes. Yet another keyless unlocking of the doors. All the tub o' lard's wittering was via subtitles.

Digging for Britain: red hair again.

House through History: 10 Guinea Street Bristol. Inneresting.

Alien Chronicles on Blaze. More bollox. UnInneresting even by my low standards. No way to listen to that droning on for an hour & a half. I'll read a book instead.

Alien Files unsealed: Yet more bollox.

Curse of Skinwalker Ranch: utter & indisputable bollox.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 8 June 2023, 20:17.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Chilly start to the day. Cold, in fact, and slightly breezy. Some hope that it'll warm up a bit later.

Bored. Not sure what to do with the day... might have to start looking for some work. Might not. Might just look for a fight to get mixed up in around here instead... seems to be plenty on offer.

Everyone needs a hobby.
        Last edited by wattaj; 8 June 2023, 10:30.
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Morning all

Sunny, blue sky with occasional lumps of fluff. Breezy. Currently 17 degrees with a high of 22 expected. Barometer down a bit further to 1021 mBar.

Busy morning at the coal face. There's a 2.5 hour workshop this afternoon to discuss the changes that are afoot. Had an hour on the phone with the senior report developer who gave me a rather interesting summary of how reporting approaches have changed every couple of years with huge migration projects kicking off to do the next big thing each time. The current changes are because the previous change (from postgres databases to snowflake) is proving too expensive.

Comment

Lunch was ham toasties, just like yesterday, because I enjoyed them then and fancied more of the same

It's turned quite Simpsonesque here now

Possibly getting up to 28°C at the weekend

If nothing else, I'll be able to get an idea of how this place is in the heat. Rather more bearable than the old place is my guess, but we shall see

Comment

Workshop done. All a shower of ****

Definitely looking to exit stage left asap but at least I have two weeks off coming up.

Comment

Stuck a towel wash on to try to give meaning to the day

Comment

Tea: Cumberland sausages, chips and beans

Still looking very pleasant out

Comment

The car tonight was the unsafe-at-any-speed Corvair, again. And some of the gold diggers had successful ends to their seasons, while some still have a way to go.

And then I ended up watching a bunch of WWDC videos, including several from 2020 that covered various aspects of SwiftUI I didn't previously understand too well. In fact, I could have saved myself a lot of time by watching them ages ago. Ah well

Early night again now, which I'm hoping won't feature the same kind of weird and disturbing dreams that woke me up last night

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Friday!

It's a sunny start out, and will apparently continue so albeit getting a bit breezy in the afternoon. Currently 12°C, with 22° due later; and we have a warning for a chance of moderate thunderstorms until Saturday evening. The barometers are down a bit more at 1005/1013mB as a mild low moves in from the Atlantic

Comment

Working...
                      X