• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Finally realised you picked up a pali!

Umm… 354435 isn't actually a pali

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Backdraft (1991). I first tried watching this the other year, but found the clichéd storyline so annoying that I packed it in after about seventeen minutes. Since then it's been upgraded to 4K (and acquired subtitles in the process) and you know what? It's the most cliché-ridden film I've endured in years. Subplots, dialogue, supplementary characters… clichéd as ****, the lot of them. It has good fire scenes, and I assume from the date that this wasn't CGI, it was real fire; so kudos for that. But even though that must have cost a lot, they should still have spared a few bob for somebody to write a script that wasn't the worst assemblage of clichés you have ever had to endure in your life

Except: Donald Sutherland is in there as an imprisoned pyromaniac who gets consulted as they try to understand a firebug they're hunting, and he is excellent. It's like a different film when he's on screen; a good one

Yesterday on Twitter, somebody said something to the effect that they were starting to think that in Children of Men, the rest of the world was OK and Britain had just chosen to be like that. So next up was a rewatch of Children of Men (2006) and… yeah. Yeah, good point

And finally, a further MS-based episode of The West Wing. I don't know why they think lying about MS to get elected is such a big deal, given all the other things politicians lie about before and after

Oh, and today I stripped the bed and left it to air, and this evening I remade it, so I have a nice, comfy, freshly-made bed to sleep in

Goodnight all
    Last edited by NickFitz; 11 March 2023, 05:19.

Comment

Morning all
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Whereas this one is a pali. It may be my first.

Morning.

Saturday.

Damply dry or drily damp.

White sky.

Wanly sunny.

Cold in here at 10.6 deg, 9.5 deg in the kitchen, 7 deg in the leanto.

1005.5 mBar, 29.692 in Hg, 754.187 Torr, 14.584 psi, (down from 1007 last night which was up from 982 yesterday morning).

Meanwhile on the 6th of May 2019 much crap was burned, much crap was recycled, much crap was taken down the dump, there was no news of the missing SMC, whereas the toasting fork was now cleaned up and derusted.

Said toasting fork remains exactly where it was placed, unused since there's nothing to toast anything on any more, certainly not an open fire, though I suppose I could press a bonfire into use if push came to shove, like. .

Walk (abbreviated due to mudness), walked. Strewth it's a tad cold out there today, with hints of drizzle in the air which came to pass just 100 yards from home on the way back down.

The hint disappeared to be replaced by rain.

Lunch: baked beans and cheese on a baked potato, bramble jelly and marmalade on slices of toast, red corner yog, 0.91*1.61 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Freecell score in the grim grey ennui of a saturday afternoon: 90% (it was down to 79% at one point), running average: 85% (85.13%).

The Repaire Shoppe on BBC1 (since the sport thing was cancelled): animatronic thing built out of Meccano that had lived up a loft for 40 years, grandfather clock (long case clock), Turkish coffee grinder.

Tea: spag with meh bol, some apricot halves, a yog, 0.91*1.71 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM.

More bollox on Blaze. The ancient aliens nuclear agenda.

Freecell score: 81%, running average 85%. Zoned out again. .

The four just men: "The deadly capsule": this being a gamma source of some kind, possibly Cobalt Thorium G though not specifically mentioned in general. .

I didn't like it much because of all the assorted accidents there have been since 1959, with that one in Oz quite recently. Bit part for Honor Blackman. Also Elwyn Brooke-Jones: to those of a certain age: The Voice in Gary Halliday.

Ancient unexplained files on Quest. Oxford excavation revealing bones, a lot of bones.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-60509311

Dead Vikings. The Saes getting their own back. Ethelred ready to off Danes.

Mexico: Palenque: Temple XIII: The tomb of the Red Queen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_of_the_Red_Queen

Stonehenge: where did the rocks come from? Well the bluestones come from that Wales, but where did the sarsens come from?

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/...ehenge-stones/

Large Jawbone found in a Chinese cave. 1.8M years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigantopithecus

Wouldn't like to meet that mofo on a dark night. .

37 rings on Rayleigh Island, Florida.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1911285116

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11 March 2023, 22:55.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Lovely bright sunshine! Rain forecast for this afternoon. Currently 7 degrees ('feel like' 4) and that's the high for the day. barometer is up to 1011 mBar.

Rubbish sleep. Sore throat, coughing, blah blah. Might have to venture to Boots for some Strefen. The sunshine streaming in the window from an early hour curtailed my attempts at a lie in.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Umm… 354435 isn't actually a pali
          oops. I even checked twice

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Fairly sunny out, though there's a layer of high, hazy cloud with just a strip of blue showing through here and there. There's still some patchy snow on the lawn, but the Toyota os almost entirely free of to now, with just sliver left resting on the nearside windscreen wiper. Quite balmy by recent standards though at 5°C with a chance of 6° soon, though the weather app also thinks it's drizzling, which it certainly isn't. The barometers have rallied somewhat, being at 997/1005mB

Comment

Nice pali!

Comment

…there was no news of the missing SMC…
                  Dark days indeed

Comment

Lunch: a fish finger bap (red sauce), being those nice chunky ones. Very tasty

Comment

What on earth is a pali? All I can find on Google is ancient Indian language
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X