• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

Sunny start but it's clouded over a bit now; apparently, this is a cycle that will repeat through the day, though no rain is expected. Currently 13°, likely to get to 19° later, and the barometers are down a little at 1009/1011mB

Lurgy seems a little better again in that there's very little itching left (at the moment; yesterday, it gradually built up a little more through the day, though nothing too bad), though it's going to take a while for all these sores to heal

Unrecorded last night was that I placed a Sainsbury's order for delivery in the last four-hour time slot tomorrow evening, that being the cheapest. The rules for determining whether you risk spreading chicken pox if you go into public spaces are such that you can't be sure you'll be OK until you are, and it'd be too late to order anything then, so I figured I'd just order and be done with fretting about it

Comment

Morning.

Damp.

Greyish.

Coolish at 18.1 deg in here.

1015 mBar, 29.973 in Hg, 761.3 Torr, 14.72 psi, (unchanged, despite a fall to 1013 at some point), 74% RH.

Thursday.

Back: Now taking ibuprofen & paracetamol at the same time. Though 1 tablet of each per day seems reasonably restrained.

Irritatingly enough, the night's sleep was interrupted at about 2 hour intervals for no readily apparent reason.

Maybe I should have had a little less lamb's liver for tea. .

I see that there's Blood Rain in the forecast.

Doomed etc.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the occasional sunshine.

No sign of the swan family on the first pond this morning.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese and baked beans, red corner yog, bramble jelly & marmalade sandwiches, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y, Sliced Bread about blue filtering eyeglasses (genuine snake oil accept no substitutes), bit of TWAO (with the bad news that Bunter, as usual, has got away with it), thing about deep fakes.

Freecell score: from the heights of 93% all the way back down to 86%, taking in 83% on the way.

Belling out the schematic for the defective 18V NiCd battery charger thingie for my drill/screwdrivers.

Turns out it's a simple timer with a 4060 counting down the time.

I thought it was a bit cleverer than that.

Handy that I've got a set of security bits so I can get in the damn thing.

Tea: chilli con carne and rice, some peach slices, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Discovering Gary Oldman.

Farscape S2 E12 "Look at the princess Part Deux: I do, I think": more nuptial & attempted assassination for Crichton.

Wheeler Dealers: so that's what an MC40 is. Well there's a thing. A limited edition BMW Mini with a Rootes blower.

Battery charger: turns out the little pushbutton switch is knackered, probably due to my overcurrenting it in vain attempts to unstick various battery packs.

Discovering Film: Don Siegel: The directors. He seems to have made a lot of rather good films all in all. I have several.

Some UFO bollox on Blaze.

Gave the Ancient Aliens bollox a miss because it's largely the fright haired greek american drongo.

Medal of Honor on PBS. Remarkable.

Good to see I can get 10% off the food shopping in Iceland on production of the old fart's bus pass.

The Movies: 2000 to today: part one.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19 May 2022, 22:35.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Dull and overcast out. Currently 16 with a high of 22 forecast. The cloud cover is set to recede then return. Unlikely to rain, although there were showers overnight / early morning. Barometer down to 1017 mBar.

No idea what I'll do today.

Comment

Lunch: sausages in finger rolls. Lovely stuff

It's a very nice day now, being mostly blue sky with some Simpsonesque bits hovering around the horizon, and a quite reasonable 18°C

Comment

Lunch was a humus (choose your own spelling) and salad sandwich.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I do dislike some of the attitude on Freecycle.

I agree a collection day with the first person to ask for the item I've listed. It's a couple of days away, no issue for me. Someone else expresses an interest and I say that it's due to be collected on x day but if they don't turn up, they get next dibs. That person then says "but I can collect sooner" like I'm just going to tell the first person to naff off because of a quicker collection. I guess some people are like that but I'm not one of them.

Comment

The recycling has been taken down, and the bin trundled forth in its glory

It's been quite a good day today. Things have been a bit chaotic, with managers coming and going leading to more meetings that I had to attend than I would like, and various urgent bug fixes that I always ended up dealing with. But this sprint, things have stabilised personnel-wise and I'm able to just pick up tickets and get stuff done.

Today, I worked out how to do something I've never done before: use a MagicMock to intercept file creation so as to avoid any file having to be created, and then capture the data that would have been written to the file if it had existed, all in such a way that the code thinks its doing the real thing. This allowed me to add tests to a thing that serialises data to CSV and uploads it to Amazon S3, so now the tests don't cause any temporary files to be created or try to push stuff to AWS, and I've been able to show that the CSV creation process works as expected without manually requesting one, waiting for a download link to be emailed to me, downloading it, and opening it in Excel (or more likely, in my case, HexFiend)

Comment

Tied up the general kitchen waste bag and took that down as well, as it doesn't take long for that to get rank in this weather. Luckily some neighbours had trundled forth their black bins so I dumped it in one of them, which saves the landlord the trouble of doing the same thing next week

With the apparent demise of the big kitchen bin due to breakage of the lid-lifting mechanism, I got a smaller bin so it can be emptied more often. The old bin was going to be taken down the tip as and when, but then I realised that I could use it for the recycling instead, and that it didn't need a lid for that as recycling doesn't go off. So it's now enjoying a second career, lidless but still getting the biggest bags (as the recycling bags I get are just the right size for it)

Comment

Tiddley pom ti pom

Comment

Zen Chury

Comment

Working...
                      X