• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up to 31°C here now, and still getting hotter

Comment

32degC when I got back from my bike ride at about 1:00pm. Feels even hotter now.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I managed to get three loads of washing done and hung out before going up to Paddington to have a stick put up my nose.

The test duly done (not done properly but hey ho), I met HWMBO and his kids before taking a very hot and stuffy Bakerloo train to Embankment for our Thames Rib Experience along the river.

A quick snack afterwards from Korean Hot Dog vendor Bunsik on Charing Cross Road followed by hiding out in the wonderful air conditioned haven that is All Bar One on Leicester Square.

Back to South Ken for dinner at some point. It's 31 out there.

Comment

Tea has been bits of the Not-so-big chicken, reheated, with chips

I need to make soup with the rest of it tomorrow; not as much soup as usual though, due to its comparatively diminutive proportions

Comment

No telly tonight other than a bit of Traffic Cops chuntering on while I ate. It's too hot to pay attention to anything

Suppose I'd better try and get some sleep, though

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all

Blue sky and all that jazz again. Currently 21 degrees with a forecast high of 29 later. Thunderstorms due this afternoon but I bet they won't actually turn up. Barometer down to 1022 mBar.

Rubbish sleep, on account of that hot weather stuff. Up early because my landlady has booked a plumber to turn up between 0800 and 0900.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
              The largest wind farm in Africa opens at Lake Turkana in Kenya, generating 310 megawatts 2019

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Sunny.

Hot. 23.fecking7 in here this morning and that's cool compared with upstairs.

Forced to get up by the irritating Fly.

1017 mBar, 30.03 in Hg, 72% RH.

Monday.

Oh, the telex machine is gleaming particularly brightly this morning.

At this rate I'll have to drag the aircon up from the garage.

24 deg at 09:23.

Forced to use this underpowered box (blessed with Opera and an adblocker) to read the news since the endless ads got right on my tits on the other box, having, in a fit of insanity, searched for Star Trek(tm) cuckoo clocks.

Could have been worse of course.

I'm fairly sure I had a cuckoo clock some largish portions of a century ago, but I reckon it got taken to bits.

Much like everything else then.

Strewth, it's a bit warm, Bruce.

Almost hot enough to boil a monkey's bum, as it were.

In other other news, as I was outside locking up the salting house yesterday at 22:45, I happened to look up & spot the ISS doing its overpass thing, clear as a bell.

Just closed the south facing windows upstairs.

I can't get to the south facing windows in the front room office for obvious reasons of too much stuff.

I was thinking of disposing of ancient paperwork that's in there but it would mean moving far too much stuff to get to it.

Not to mention the vast collection of obsolete computer texts that could meet the skip if I could reach them & could bring myself to throw such stuff away.

Remember when they sold computer books in Waterstones and PC World?

Long long ago, and far far away.

I might have gone further if I'd actually read some of the ones I bought.

Though it must be said that reading multiple copies of Petzold never got me very far.

Must be 10 years since I bothered with that.

I wonder if there's a market for the Petzold that deals with Win3.0.

Freecell score: 89%, running average 84% (84.055%).

Lunch: poached tomato and scrambled egg on a (slightly blue) Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt toast (crust), bramble jelly sandwich x2 on nonblue slices, a red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment in the unpleasantly warm ennui of the afternoon: Car SOS: the wonders of the MGA.

So they threw away the body, got a replacement that was less like lace, renovated the chassis by chopping all the very extensive rot out of it, rebored the engine, cleaned up the few remaining original bits, and bolted it back together.

Looked nice, if you like that sort of thing. It's 40 years or more since I've seen an MGA.

Engineering Disasters: Kentucky 'Vette museum sinkhole, Quebec oil tanker rail crash killing 48, the Chile copper mine, roof collapse at yet another of those septic stadium due to snow, airbus loss of two hydraulic systems on 17th June 2012.

<interrupted due to circumstances beyond my control>

Trucking Hell S3 E1 turned out not to feature dear old Rory.

Happily it didn't feature Michael from Lantern.

Tea: more of the roast beef, some tinned mango slices, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Discovering Bill Murray, inneresting enough I suppose, though I've never been a great comedy fan.

The Secrets thing on Smithsonian: Singapore. Probably featuring Changi and the Bridge on the River Kwai.

NCIS S17 E2: "Into the light" wherein our hero & heroine kick & shoot the tulip out of some naughty* people.

*Other opinions of their naughtiness are, of course, available.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19 July 2021, 18:36.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

The sun is already beating down; I'm going to try that thing of keeping the curtains closed on the sunny side until it's moved round and isn't shining directly on the place, to see if it makes a difference. Mind you, it's already 28°C in here, so maybe it's too late

Outside is currently 21°C with 29° expected by the afternoon. Barometers (which I forgot to check yesterday): 1014/1022mB. No end to the suffering predicted until the weekend, and even then only a relatively slight mitigation

Comment

ClientGov is starting to "actively plan" for the "return to the office"

Apparently it won't really start happening until September, making another extension look somewhat less attractive than it did…

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      ClientGov is starting to "actively plan" for the "return to the office"

Apparently it won't really start happening until September, making another extension look somewhat less attractive than it did…
                      Don't worry, we'll be back in another lock down before that properly gets going.

Comment

Working...
                      X