• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The first post of the day - #325880
    So tpd sees 2 centuries - but probably less than 200 posts.

Anyway - night all

Comment

The evening's entertainment: "The Boscombe Valley Mystery", "The Illustrious Client" (this with Anthony Valentine as the big bad), "The Creeping Man" (this utterly ridiculous, so much so it was laugh out loud funny).

Now some prog on Smithsonian about the Tunguska meteorite of 1908.

Seen it before, now looking at Rich Hall waffling on about country music on BBC4.

Seen that before too.

Gosh. That insert was a pretty bad bit of quadruplex tape.

Must have been tricky to set up the VTR to playback a tape with damage like that on it.

Thinks: must have been a cinched wind to give it that regular dropout effect.

You could see the head changeovers too, looked like the rf levels were changing on one head out of the 4.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 3 April 2020, 21:42.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Soup’s all packaged up ready to spend the night in the fridge, or possibly longer if I can’t work out how to fit it all in the freezer

Now for a film, I reckon, possibly accompanied by a glass of wine or so

Comment

TFBSZ
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Just had an idea. One of my neighbours has a great set of lungs on her, and sings in a band. I might suggest to her that we work out a few songs and do a short acoustic set for the village, with us in our respective back gardens keeping a safe distance.
            It might cheer up a few, or drive them to drink.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Just had an idea. One of my neighbours has a great set of lungs on her, and sings in a band. I might suggest to her that we work out a few songs and do a short acoustic set for the village, with us in our respective back gardens keeping a safe distance.
              Do you not think the threat of coronovirus and its associated isolation is enough for them to deal with
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Make sure BP can hear you, he'll enjoy that.

Comment

Good evening all!

Just received an email from the Probate Court granting me "Letters of Administration" within 1 week of me sending the relevant forms.

I am not a lawyer, however...

I would suggest that you recommend to your friends not to pay ~£1000 for probate when it can be straightforward enough to complete the forms and post them yourselves.

When my Dad died the local solicitor charged ~£9k to sort his estate and ~18months to transfer assets from my Dad to my Mum!

I've taken control in 1 week! It's cost me £215 for application of probate, £9 for 6 copies of the "Letters of Administration", and £55 for 5 copies of my mother's Death Certificate!

Oh and ~£200 in fuel going backwards and forwards from Manchester to Anglesey, Bangor and Caernarvon. All completed during compassionate leave from my nice and cosy permy job.

Oh, and don't forget the possibility of claiming the full £650k tax free inheritance...

Bring your friends, I'm here all week and available for weddings, funerals and bar-mitzvah!

Circumcisions by negotiation.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    Good evening all!

Just received an email from the Probate Court granting me "Letters of Administration" within 1 week of me sending the relevant forms.

I am not a lawyer, however...

I would suggest that you recommend to your friends not to pay ~£1000 for probate when it can be straightforward enough to complete the forms and post them yourselves.

When my Dad died the local solicitor charged ~£9k to sort his estate and ~18months to transfer assets from my Dad to my Mum!

I've taken control in 1 week! It's cost me £215 for application of probate, £9 for 6 copies of the "Letters of Administration", and £55 for 5 copies of my mother's Death Certificate!

Oh and ~£200 in fuel going backwards and forwards from Manchester to Anglesey, Bangor and Caernarvon. All completed during compassionate leave from my nice and cosy permy job.

Oh, and don't forget the possibility of claiming the full £650k tax free inheritance...

Bring your friends, I'm here all week and available for weddings, funerals and bar-mitzvah!

Circumcisions by negotiation.
                    My parents’ executors are their bank and my brother. My brother is a lawyer who retired from the position of partner in one of the biggest corporate law firms in the nation. We’re all pretty sure that when the time comes, he’ll see matters through, and scare the bank’s side of the whole business witless if they try to pull any stunts

Comment

Tonight’s all-vintage-action was courtesy of a return to the Bond Project, as I remembered that I wasn’t too far from getting to the good ones, i.e. the recent ones with Daniel Craig. But it has to be done in sequence (pace Octopussy which I’m still not willing to put up with having watched the first thirty minutes or so) so first up was Tomorrow Never Dies (1997), which I’ve definitely never seen before. And you know what? I thought this one was really pretty good

It still had too much in the way of corny puns interjected because that’s what they figured was a “winning formula” then, but not that much too much. I liked it

And as it seemed like they might be on a roll, I dove right in to the next, The World is Not Enough (1999). I found it hard to work out if I’d seen this one before, because bits of the opening sequence with the speedboat and MI6, or later stuff with John Cleese as Q’s successor, were bruited about when it first came out or have since appeared in various clip shows; and there’s a chase on skis scene, but they do one of those every three or four films. I couldn’t remember most of it though, so at most I once watched the first twenty minutes or so, then went to the pub and probably the FMB bar afterwards, then started watching the rest on video when I came home and either forgot it all or fell asleep, or just never bothered recording it in the first place

Anyway: it’s pretty good, though it reverts to more of the laboured and suggestive jokes. There are times when you want to travel back in time to remind the producers of these things that there are James Bond films and there are Carry On films, and they really should be ensuring that their script is like one of the former and not the latter

But if one lets that slide, it’s good enough

Just one more before the Daniel Craig ones now.

It did occur to me earlier that as DC is leaving, they have the opportunity to reboot the whole thing yet again, and could be bold and simply make films of the original novels: set in the 1950s, with Bond as an alcoholic sadist. (I’ve never read any of the books, but somebody whose opinion I respect has said that’s Bond’s character in the books.) But I don’t suppose they will

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X