• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Morning denizens

Grey but with some minor gaps developing, dry, 8°C

I’ve had a 34” curved monitor for several years now, though not as HD as that one, and I really like it. In fact, I have it hooked up to my 5K iMac and the latter’s beautiful screen is relegated to being off to one side for occasionally checking stuff on. But I work primarily in JetBrains IDEs, which tend to have a lot of panes (side-by-side editors, project structure, database structure, debugger console, container management, terminal, etc. etc.) and thus benefit greatly from being stretched out really wide
    Which is the difference - JetBrains' IDEs are great on a single screen but if you modus operandi is multiple excel or powerpoint documents - it's easier to have separate monitors and 1 window full screen on each monitor. Also everything is kept in its standard 16 by 9 ratio rather than the 21.5 by 9 ratio an ultrawide offers

And my mode is either cut and paste from previous powerpoint into a new one or code stealing from a previous project - so separate monitors is better.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

In with the hoi polloi

Not been asked about Ctrl Alt Del today so far.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        In with the hoi polloi

Not been asked about Ctrl Alt Del today so far.
        And there we go: first one today.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post

Morning
          grey and damp today
          Century

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Century
            KUATB

Comment

Walk walked.

Dry when I started, and once again the drizzle began about 2/3rds of the way up.

Not enough for the brolly but damp enough.

Butchered some more brambles to clear up the path where I tripped (not in A Good Way) on Xmas morning.

I fecking hate brambles.

By this time next year They'll Be Back.

Lunch is the 2nd garlic kiev thing with a baked spud (carefully pierced to avoid explosions since I don't have a dog), with baked beans.

To be rounded off with 1.05 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Morning good fellows (and the naughty ones!)

WFH today. Got lots to do so I had a nice lie in.

Towels in the WM.

I have been pondering for the better part of a year over getting a new monitor to replace the two ancient ones I have and I have finally ordered something. Thanks to HWMBO who kept an eye out for monitor reviews and sent them over to me. Although, some of his suggestions were less than practical.

I have gone for this: Dell UltraSharp 34 Curved USB-C Monitor: U3419W. What with a £15 voucher I had from a previous order, and 10% cashback on my Amex, it's almost good value Hopefully it'll last as long as the two I've had since 2007 (just checked my asset register and they cost me about £300 each, so I've had my money's worth).
                Just bought one of these Samsung 27-Inch FHD LED Monitor (LS27F350FHEXXS) | Samsung SG and then returned it within an hour. Was intended to be wall mounted, but Samsung in their wisdom have made the mounting bracket for the stand integral to the monitor unit and it interferes with the VESA amounting points so you can't actually use them unless you have a very specific mounting solution. Which I don't.

Pity as it was less than £80 and otherwise perfect for what I wanted it for.
                Last edited by DaveB; 7 January 2020, 13:07.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Brown envelope just came through the door

It was tax related

Car Tax

£465 for the year. 'kin'ell
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Brown envelope just came through the door

It was tax related

Car Tax

£465 for the year. 'kin'ell