• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

Sunny start out

Not very warm though. 9°C out there just after eight, and now around 11°

Off to cardiology in a bit. I suspect I'll take the car, with the excuse that I can do some shopping afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Off to Longleat today.
      You'll be able to get one of those "We Have Seen the Lions Of Longleat" window stickers that so many cars sported in their rear windows in the 1970s

Comment

Stone me it was chilly wandering down to town this morning.

Brrrrrrr.

In with the hoi polloi and it's Lego day again.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        You'll be able to get one of those "We Have Seen the Lions Of Longleat" window stickers that so many cars sported in their rear windows in the 1970s
        Along with "Put a Tiger in your tank" and free glasses with every gallon* of petrol (4*, accept nothing less).

*Imperial gallons of course, none of this Frog nonsense of litres or undersized Septic gallons.

https://www.deviantart.com/shalinka/...Tank-209816878
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 August 2018, 09:18.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Off to cardiology in a bit. I suspect I'll take the car, with the excuse that I can do some shopping afterwards
          And back again. As expected, the cardiologist didn't do much other than take my pulse, listen to my heart with the stethoscope, and check my blood pressure, all of which were fine. So he's discharged me from the care of their clinic, and somebody else can wait eight months to see them from now on

I had to wait an hour after the appointed time to be seen. So I cancelled the shopping until later, or maybe tomorrow, as it's too unpleasant to do it during the wages slaves' lunch break

Comment

And how much did the car park cost?

We, in Wales, find this of great interest.

Along with the cost of prescriptions.

Taken delivery of two parcels this morning.

One was a Fedex, the other a Yodel, which would otherwise have ended up in the back of beyond.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 August 2018, 11:56.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              And how much did the car park cost?

We, in Wales, find this of great interest.

Along with the cost of prescriptions.

Taken delivery of two parcels this morning.

One was a Fedex, the other a Yodel, which would otherwise have ended up in the back of beyond.
              £3.30 for three hours. In the event, I only needed two hours, or strictly speaking, eighty minutes. But they said in the letter that the appointment could take up to three hours if tests were needed, and it's pay-and-display rather than pay-when-leaving

I believe they're planning to change it to the latter, but they haven't yet

I was actually with the cardiologist for a grand total of ten minutes

Comment

Stone me.

I remember feeding pound coins in the machine in Bridgend hospital car park during one of Strangelove Pater's many in patient visits.

Fortunately, by the time they were in hospital permanently the charge had been abolished.

Comment

Just remembered that on the way to the hospital, I passed a house a few streets away that had an undertaker's procession parked outside, with what I assume were the relatives of the deceased dithering about, probably working out who was going in which car.

Then, as I went past, I realised that there were two hearses

Both the coffins seemed adult-sized. Aftermath of a car crash, maybe?

Comment

I survived the dentistry.

So, two ibuprofen and two paracetamol and two injections and I still twitched a bit.

It must be said that I feel quite odd.

It's the singing in the ears that's offputting.

I think I'll do a bit of welding to see if I can make it go away.

The little orange charge light on this box was flashing at me when I plugged it in.

Turns out I'd used it enough this morning that 4% battery remained.

In other battery related news, one of the chargers for the 18V NiCd batteries for my drills blew up yesterday.

One of the batteries obviously has shorted cells & only reaches 13V (it transpires).

So the thermal fuse on the transformer primary opened & once open that's the end of the transformer.

Fortunately, being a man of many power supplies and magick screwdrivers, I opened the thing up & it will be easy enough to bodge something that will work.

The transformer, however, is toast.

Considering that the damn thing has some sort of IC in it, I'd have thunk that it could have detected the shorted cells & turned itself off rather than self destructing.

Just as well the Strangelove Defence In Depth means I have 4 batteries and 2 chargers.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 August 2018, 14:49.

Comment

Shopping done

I wasn't able to find the duvet I was looking for in M&S, so I'll order it online for collection. The pillows probably won't be here until Monday anyway, and I'm going to change everything at once so the manky old stuff doesn't contaminate the nice new stuff

And before shopping, I went for a haircut, the efforts of the woman who did it last month having grown out into an even worse state than when originally done

There turned out to be a queue. Quite a long queue, as the only one working today was the woman who talks incessantly. I ended up overstaying in the one hour parking slot along the road, but there weren't any wardens around so I got away with it. (And at least I wasn't watching an unending procession of people who were obviously ill or in the last stages of decrepitude, as I was during the one hour wait in the clinic this morning )

And apparently it had been busy almost all day, which had drained even her normally bottomless well of trivial conversation

About the only thing I learned about her life today is that her "absolute most favourite film of all time" is Goodfellas, which surprised me given her otherwise execrable taste

Oh, and she did a good job on the hair, too

Comment

Working...
                      X