• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In an attempt to prevent my brain exploding due to existential boredom, I've been investigating the courts in Neath, these particular "courts" being slum housing rather than being involved in legal matter.

There's dozens of the damn things.

On Old-maps there's a 1:500 map of Neath from 1878 which shows many of said courts, a fair percentage of which were even worse than back to backs.

The courts along what is nowadays termed Penydre were essentially the cellars of the houses above facing the canal with the odd ty-bach thrown in for good measure.

Family history alleges that relatives visiting Neath were horrified by the state of Penydre when walking into town back in the 1920s.

From the newspapers of the time it would appear that "Jolly's Court" provided many of the miscreants brought up before the beak.

The various reports from the medical officials to the council indicate that the communal lavatories left something to be desired.

Mostly slum clearance.

When the wind & tide were in the wrong combination some of the courts might be flooded to the depth of 18" or so.

With raw sewage.

Lovely.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 12 June 2018, 21:14.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

TFBSZ
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Tonight's movie mayhem was Avatar (2009). I seem to recall it getting slagged off quite a bit when it came out, having been much hyped. It's a bit slow to get started, apparently because they were too busy showing off the (very impressive) special effects rather than moving the story along; and the plot is fairly straightforward. But for all that, I found it quite good fun really, perhaps because at this distance in time I've avoided all the hype building my expectations up too much and could just take it on its own merits

The Na'vi-Human translation subtitles are in the typeface Papyrus. I remember this caused a huge amount of angst among the graphic design community when the film was released, because for reasons I've never quite understood, designers hate Papyrus even more than Comic Sans

And after that, I watched another episode of The Blacklist for no very good reason. The FBI must hate that show; it's even worse than Quantico for letting the villains use the most basic ploys to catch them off guard, and makes them look grossly incompetent and utter simpletons

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
          Great night's sleep last night, clear blue skies and a lovely dog walk this morning. We even had a pheasant in the garden earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            I’ll take a run to the local Waitrose to stock up on essentials.
            Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            We even had a pheasant in the garden earlier.
            Looks like the essentials came to you.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Tonight's movie mayhem was Avatar (2009).

And after that, I watched another episode of The Blacklist for no very good reason. The FBI must hate that show; it's even worse than Quantico for letting the villains use the most basic ploys to catch them off guard, and makes them look grossly incompetent and utter simpletons

Goodnight all
              Never seen Avatar. I find little interest in blue people, all in all.

Never seen the Cameron watery ones either.

Re the FBI, there are reasons they're termed "The Feebs".
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
                Looks like the essentials came to you.
                True, although I'm not a pheasant plucker.

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey day again; no rain expected, though

Comment

Bacon butty for lunch

I'm out of cobs

Comment

Suppose I might as well get the shopping done so I don't have to do it in the cataclysmic storm light breeze tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                      X