• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinese for dinner

As usual, I asked the lady if they were busy, and she sighed and said "Well… steady; January's always a bit… you know" while shaking her head dolefully and handing me my change.

Then she returned to the kitchen, where she was helping the chef and assistant by packaging up a steady stream of assorted dishes amid the constant clatter of woks. By the time she brought my food out, she had two large delivery orders lined up on the counter and was telling the driver, who'd just got back, to hang on as there was a third one almost packed, and the sounds of constant cooking continued to emanate from the kitchen. I think she just doesn't like admitting that yes, actually, they are good and busy tonight

Comment

Originally posted by covbob View Post
      Evening all

DIY day here today. Measuring up windows and trying to decide whether to keep the existing wooden frames (and add new secondary glazing) or buy new ones. The issue is that we still have the original 1930s stained glass in the tops of the windows and so want to find a solution where we can keep them.

Also on the incitement of Mrs covbob took a chisel and attacked the flat side of one of the internal doors. Turns out that a previous occupant had pinned/glued crappy board to the room side of all of the internal doors. With that removed we've revealed the original panels on both sides, pretty much in decent nick. That'll be a sand/refill/paint or stain job on them all to get rid of the pin holes and glue marks. The panels really do look better than the painted board!

We've now got a list of things to improve on the house. At least it will keep me busy for a few years...
      Free nice doors with every house!

Comment

Tonight's silver screen delight started with Midnight Cowboy (1969). I'm pretty sure I last saw this some time in the late 1980s. Anyway, what a wonderful, tragic film! It's a long way from the same director's Billy Liar (1963) in many ways, yet also in so many ways awfully similar

After that: High Crimes (2002), which is a good military/legal thriller with Ashley Judd providing most of the intensity and Morgan Freeman providing most of the laughs, though there aren't too many of them. Worth a watch

And then I got sucked in to The Americans again, which is why I'm typing this so late: I finished series (or season) four, and am now into season (or series) five

Comment

Originally posted by covbob View Post
          Evening all

DIY day here today. Measuring up windows and trying to decide whether to keep the existing wooden frames (and add new secondary glazing) or buy new ones. The issue is that we still have the original 1930s stained glass in the tops of the windows and so want to find a solution where we can keep them.

Also on the incitement of Mrs covbob took a chisel and attacked the flat side of one of the internal doors. Turns out that a previous occupant had pinned/glued crappy board to the room side of all of the internal doors. With that removed we've revealed the original panels on both sides, pretty much in decent nick. That'll be a sand/refill/paint or stain job on them all to get rid of the pin holes and glue marks. The panels really do look better than the painted board!

We've now got a list of things to improve on the house. At least it will keep me busy for a few years...
          *adjusts tin foil antennae*

*goes comfortably numb*

I'm receiving a message from a Giant Alien Lizard… apparently you should be looking on YouTube for videos by Barry Bucknell for good ideas on dealing with your nice panelled doors

Comment

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all It’s snowing!
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Morning all It’s snowing!

Morning - just raining here (too far South)
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

Morning all

No snow here yet. Cold and frosty though and lots of ice.

Club ride cancelled so hiding in the garage on the turbo trainer instead. 50 miles done, 50 to go. Right after I finish this cake and coffee
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Morning all

Snowing here and no sign of letting up. Sadly the ground was a bit damp beforehand but enough might settle on the back garden to give the covchildren a bit of fun later.

Comment

Snow has turned to rain now, so I’ve resorted to making marmalade.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X