• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying in the same public sector contract after April 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Why would there be? You would be an employee in both...
    Payments by an agency to an umbrella have to be reported under agency reporting regulations

Payments direct to the contractor through PAYE don't need to be.

so there would be a benefit on that side of things if the agency pays you (as you will disappear off the agency reporting regulations report) if HMRC uses the agency reporting regulations reports to form the basis of a retrospective investigation (and the likelihood of that depends on people's individual views).

I doubt it would make much difference through as its equally possible HMRC will trawl agency payroll additions and the same report...

As we've said for ages if you are concerned about retrospective claims you need to change department and change agency...
    Last edited by eek; 24 February 2017, 16:25.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Payments by an agency to an umbrella have to be reported under agency reporting regulations

Payments direct to the contractor through PAYE don't need to be.

so there would be a benefit on that side of things if the agency pays you (as you will disappear off the agency reporting regulations report) if HMRC uses the agency reporting regulations reports to form the basis of a retrospective investigation (and the likelihood of that depends on people's individual views).

I doubt it would make much difference through as its equally possible HMRC will trawl agency payroll additions and the same report...

As we've said for ages if you are concerned about retrospective claims you need to change department and change agency...

Nice dig !

Comment

Originally posted by puzzler View Post
        Nice dig !
        Not really. None of this affects me...

I do find the idea of HMRC building selective lists from various discrete resources slightly amusing though. They don't need to, they have all the data already.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Not really. None of this affects me...

I do find the idea of HMRC building selective lists from various discrete resources slightly amusing though. They don't need to, they have all the data already.
          You clearly know far more about HMRC internal capabilities than a do.

Which is strange considering how closer I am to HMRC's development centres than you....

And as anyone who has ever worked in Business Intelligence will tell you just because you have the data, doesn't mean its accurate and readable.
          Last edited by eek; 24 February 2017, 17:28.

Comment

Which is strange considering how closer I am to HMRC's development centres than you....

And as anyone who has ever worked in Business Intelligence will tell you just because you have the data, doesn't mean its accurate and readable.
            Its called set analysis.

Widely used by marketing firms

Why work with the whole when you have up to date small data sets?
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

So you will know about iXBRL and the various taxonomies used for corporate filing returns then. And the data that's easily available from director's online SARs. And how enormously difficult it is to tie to the two together in any meaningful sense. And what sort of error rate to expect from both major datasets.

But what do I know.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

So you will know about iXBRL and the various taxonomies used for corporate filing returns then. And the data that's easily available from director's online SARs. And how enormously difficult it is to tie to the two together in any meaningful sense. And what sort of error rate to expect from both major datasets.

But what do I know.
                Well you know what iXBRL is... So tell me what iXBRL has to do with personal tax returns or how it integrates into the agency reporting regulation reports? Either part will do and you don't need more than 7 letters....
                Last edited by eek; 24 February 2017, 18:47.

Comment

Retropsective action - likelyhood

Hi,
                  I'm currently in a public sector contract which is likely to be renewed. The client wants to renew it and I'm tempted, but what I'm wary of is a retrospective IR35 investigation if found within Ir35 come April 2017, how likely is that? I just want to get a feel for this as my accountant says it's possible, but unlikely. The kicker is that I've been with this client since October 2016 so any retrospective action wouldn't be too far back, but what worries me is if the contracts prior to my current public sector role are investigated - I'm guessing that once HMRC investigates they really pull your pants down....?

Currently looking at permanent roles, but it's not that easy.

Comment

No one knows but yes if they do get you no amount of lube is gonna ease the sting.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Biggles78 View Post
                      Hi,
                      I'm currently in a public sector contract which is likely to be renewed. The client wants to renew it and I'm tempted, but what I'm wary of is a retrospective IR35 investigation if found within Ir35 come April 2017, how likely is that? I just want to get a feel for this as my accountant says it's possible, but unlikely. The kicker is that I've been with this client since October 2016 so any retrospective action wouldn't be too far back, but what worries me is if the contracts prior to my current public sector role are investigated - I'm guessing that once HMRC investigates they really pull your pants down....?

Currently looking at permanent roles, but it's not that easy.
                      Yep.

If you were paying the incorrect amount of tax at one client you must have been doing it at other clients.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X