• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying in the same public sector contract after April 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    So you've had multiple roles for the same employer over a number of years ..Sounds a bit like a what?

Things are carrying on but now the only difference is you are employed.... Hmmm
    But not employed by the client, employed by my managed service who happens to place me with a client I'd been with before. I reckon it's a grey area to be honest, and the managed service must be confident or it wouldn't have offered this to so many of us.
    So let's say I'd taken a perm role with the client a year ago. No one would even question whether the previous years as a contractor should be queried.
    Seems like there is actually no safe way to continue in public sector beyond 31st March 🙈🙈

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
      If you are going to be inside IR35 then I would use a reputable umbrella rather than my own limited company. There will be some expenses that you can claim via an umbrella that you can't otherwise, and the big advantage is that you can use salary sacrifice to pay into a pension plan via the umbrella - you can't do that with a limited company.
      This seems sensible. Use an umbrella when you are 'employed' and a PSC when acting as an independent contractor.
      https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by rollonfriday View Post
        But not employed by the client, employed by my managed service who happens to place me with a client I'd been with before. I reckon it's a grey area to be honest, and the managed service must be confident or it wouldn't have offered this to so many of us.
        So let's say I'd taken a perm role with the client a year ago. No one would even question whether the previous years as a contractor should be queried.
        Seems like there is actually no safe way to continue in public sector beyond 31st March [emoji85][emoji85]
        The reasonably safe way is to move to a different PS client to do a different role and use an umbrella. If the role is local, the rate reasonable and you don't need expenses few people would say 'don't take it'.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

There is of course the option of going out in to the private sector....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            There is of course the option of going out in to the private sector....
            I don't know why you bother posting sometimes.

The run away and hide in the private sector point only works for a small proportion of contractors that already have a widespread skillset

The more useful point to make is that they need to be breaking the relationship with bad departments that are choosing to try to punish contractors instead of accurately reflecting the law.

We had a rather interesting development yesterday in that the one of the friendly civil servants let slip that they are reporting everyone that leaves over this so even running away is a dangerous move now.

Comment

Easier said than done just moving to another PS client when everyone is already jumping ship.
              So it looks like time on bench for some folk which means bringing no money in and paying no tax at all rather than taking an alternative route to stay in work and pay tax on what you earn. No work the country is going to the wall 🙈😂

Comment

Easier said than done just moving to another PS client when everyone is already jumping ship.
                So it looks like time on bench for some folk which means bringing no money in and paying no tax at all rather than taking an alternative route to stay in work and pay tax on what you earn. No work the country is going to the wall 🙈😂
                I don't think any of us said moving would be easy. We just said that it would mitigate the risk of a very awkward retrospective IR35 investigation if you ended up inside IR35 come April....
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post

We had a rather interesting development yesterday in that the one of the friendly civil servants let slip that they are reporting everyone that leaves over this so even running away is a dangerous move now.
                  But I think that it would be easier to defend. I would still rely on my contract review , working practices log and IR35 insurance for this.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    But I think that it would be easier to defend. I would still rely on my contract review , working practices log and IR35 insurance for this.
                    Agreed. HMRC already have a record of payments made to companies via agencies anyway so telling them that you aren't there any more is no big deal.

Though it would be interesting to know exactly how they are going to tell HMRC which people have left.
                    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Yup bench time, that is what I am doing now....
                      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Working...
                      X