• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Churchill Knight & Boox clients being investigated as Managed Service Companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raptors88 View Post

I don’t actually have a tax adviser (I only use Churchill Knight for accounts). Did you just write to HMRC directly with your specific situation? I have proposals showing multiple consultants/associates within a project - maybe this could serve as sufficient evidence?
    It's not as torturous as it sounds. HMRC do know what and who you pay and how and when you pay them. Payroll and employee information is what they need they dealt with mine pretty quickly really. You just need evidence and you'll have all of that and so will CK and so will HMRC.

Just get your appeal in anyway and then start talking/calling them. I got my MP involved initially which helped the wheels turn I think.

If your company operated the way it did then HMRC know this and they just need reminding. They blanket bombed all of CK and Boox's clients with made up figures and made up accusations just to meet deadlines.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

It's set out very clearly what you need to do throughout this thread. I am afraid you are going to have to read more of the thread. It's all there.
      Thank you, yes I'm reading and hopefully will be up to speed over the weekend. I just wanted to ask, should I appeal now that I have received the first letter, or wait for the determination letter with the amounts they are claiming?

I just wanted to know if it's ok for now to wait until the next letter or you'd recommend doing something at this stage (like Pay on account to avoid further interests, etc.).

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ritwolf View Post

Thank you, yes I'm reading and hopefully will be up to speed over the weekend. I just wanted to ask, should I appeal now that I have received the first letter, or wait for the determination letter with the amounts they are claiming?

I just wanted to know if it's ok for now to wait until the next letter or you'd recommend doing something at this stage (like Pay on account to avoid further interests, etc.).

Many thanks
        Until you receive an appealable decision (ie the Determinations) you have nothing that you can appeal

Comment

Is there a good resource or a template or an example or a guide on how to best prepare an appeal? Things to include, provide, what to mention, how to argue certain things, what works and what does not, what are good proofs to attach etc.

Comment

Originally posted by gikap View Post
            Is there a good resource or a template or an example or a guide on how to best prepare an appeal? Things to include, provide, what to mention, how to argue certain things, what works and what does not, what are good proofs to attach etc.
            https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...ml#post2924948 will be as good a starting point as you will find elsewhere.

Basically document everything that shows you made your own decisions and if possible that you employed other people - i.e. you are trying to demonstrate you are an actual business not just someone working via a limited company.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thank you for your answer

Originally posted by eek View Post
              i.e. you are trying to demonstrate you are an actual business not just someone working via a limited company.
              Is there any hope for those of us who were just a someone working via our own limited company for a single client at a time and have used Boox or CK just for accounting?

Comment

Thank you for your answer

Is there any hope for those of us who were just a someone working via our own limited company for a single client at a time and have used Boox or CK just for accounting?
                As stated many times in this thread. You need to gather all the proof you have that you were running the company, all aspects of it. You need proof that Boox or CK were not involved in the actual running of the company. Collect together everything that clearly shows you made all the decisions. (Assimung that's what did actually happen, of course).
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  As stated many times in this thread. You need to gather all the proof you have that you were running the company, all aspects of it. You need proof that Boox or CK were not involved in the actual running of the company. Collect together everything that clearly shows you made all the decisions. (Assimung that's what did actually happen, of course).
                  What sorts of proofs are valuable?

For example:
                  • registered company to my address?
                  • applied for UTR number for my company myself?
                  • opened myself and solely had access to multiple bank accounts?
                  • opened saving account for my company myself?
                  • registered domains for my company myself?
                  • decided on salary and one-off dividends myself?
                  • collected expenses myself?
                  • issued invoices to clients myself?
                  • paid tax, vat, expenses, salary, dividends myself?
                  • managed clients myself?
                  • kept money in the company for rainy days?
                  Are these above of any useful value for appeal? Are there any other things i could add but i don't remember from the top of my head? Should these proofs above be specific to a tax year in determination or can be more general? My goal is to collect a list of proofs one can come up with to have a better chance at appeal.

Comment

What sorts of proofs are valuable?

For example:
                    • registered company to my address?
                    • applied for UTR number for my company myself?
                    • opened myself and solely had access to multiple bank accounts?
                    • opened saving account for my company myself?
                    • registered domains for my company myself?
                    • decided on salary and one-off dividends myself?
                    • collected expenses myself?
                    • issued invoices to clients myself?
                    • paid tax, vat, expenses, salary, dividends myself?
                    • managed clients myself?
                    • kept money in the company for rainy days?
                    Are these above of any useful value for appeal? Are there any other things i could add but i don't remember from the top of my head? Should these proofs above be specific to a tax year in determination or can be more general? My goal is to collect a list of proofs one can come up with to have a better chance at appeal.
                    There's no one piece of proof available. Gather together all that and as much more that you can think of. Things like emails telling the accountant how much salary you've decided to take. Dividend declaration meeting notes where you decide what the dividend is. Website hosting contract in the company name. Company credit card statement. Business cards. Anything and everything no matter how seemingly trivial. It all has to paint a picture of you running a business. No one thing on it's own can do that.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

According to the following article:

https://www.contractoruk.com/news/00...ll%20Knight%3F

The MSCP is NOT the party liable for the debt (or at least not liable in the first instance).

So, what's in it for Boox to not give up and defend themselves and prove HMRC wrong? They are already out of business (except for providing email support) and have moved the accounts of existing clients to another accountancy firm (which, if I'm not mistaken, is part of the same parent group). One could think the parent group has not lost all of the revenue previously coming from Boox.

I see CK is still providing services and managed to raise funds so understandibly they'd want to continue fighting.

But for those who were with Boox, what happens when you appeal? Is the case stopped until Boox gets a ruling in court, or can HMRC regardless reject your appeal? And if rejected, is there anything else we can do if disagree with the outcome?
                      Last edited by ritwolf; 22 January 2023, 13:07.

Comment

Working...
                      X