• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electric car charging prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding 3-pin sockets, the regulations say that the socket should support BS1363-2. See:
    Can You Charge an Electric Vehicle From a 13A Socket? (youtube.com)
    It's still possible to charge an EV from a "normal" socket, but there are risks associated with the long charging period. So, if you are going to use a 3-pin charger, it's best to replace the socket first.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Can you stop talking about things you know nothing about…
      Rude.

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
        Regarding 3-pin sockets, the regulations say that the socket should support BS1363-2. See:
        Can You Charge an Electric Vehicle From a 13A Socket? (youtube.com)
        It's still possible to charge an EV from a "normal" socket, but there are risks associated with the long charging period. So, if you are going to use a 3-pin charger, it's best to replace the socket first.
        The current draw is the same as having an electric kettle (or 3KW fan heater) on continuously. No problem for the ring main but it would be prudent to uprate the socket.
        Last edited by woody1; 25 July 2024, 06:30.

Comment

Originally posted by woody1 View Post

Rude.
          yep. - normal behaviour for him/her/it

Comment

One might need a big fat extension lead: the usual offerings are likely to get a bit warm carrying 13A continuous.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

yep. - normal behaviour for him/her/it
              Nope - I'm just one of the people happy to call out people for talking complete tulipe,

The only reason I've posted was that I've had both the outdoor plug and an extension cable burn out when using them to charge a car over the past six months. Basically don't do it, there is a reason why most cable lengths are kept to 7metres or so max..
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                One might need a big fat extension lead: the usual offerings are likely to get a bit warm carrying 13A continuous.
                And even more so if the cable is not fully unwound.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Most 13A (3KW) extension cables use 1.25mm, which is pushing it for long periods of use. Personally I'd choose 2.5mm for this type of application.

https://www.cse-distributors.co.uk/c...able-4f3a.html

Comment

I am with BG, EV tariff. Rate 7,8p per Kwh during the night ,beats the 70p per kwh or so at a any commercial recharging station

And before I had my own charger, I used to charge from a normal socket (My car came with an extension lead for it), just goes incredibly slow

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                      I am with BG, EV tariff. Rate 7,8p per Kwh during the night ,beats the 70p per kwh or so at a any commercial recharging station

And before I had my own charger, I used to charge from a normal socket (My car came with an extension lead for it), just goes incredibly slow
                      Presumably that's for the fastest charging?

Assuming my calcs are correct, that works out more expensive per mile than petrol.

Small efficient EV
                      does 4 miles per kWh
                      @70p/kWh that equates to 17.5p/mile

Small petrol car
                      does 50mpg or 11 miles per litre
                      @£1.45/litre that equates to 13p/mile

Comment

Working...
                      X