• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Electric car charging prices"

Collapse

• hobnob
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    one of my (many) worries is, if everybody changes to EV's tomorrow, will the grid have enough capacity to charge all the cars ?
    That's the motivation for the cheap charging plans (e.g. from Octopus). Basically, I leave my EV plugged in overnight, and it will be charged at some point between 23:00 and 07:00, but I don't know exactly when. That way, the grid can spread out the charging, rather than everyone getting home at 18:00 and starting to charge simultaneously.

There is an override option for me to say "Charge it now, don't wait", but then I pay the standard rate rather than the cheap rate.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    lol

horses for courses

one of my (many) worries is, if everybody changes to EV's tomorrow, will the grid have enough capacity to charge all the cars ?

second hand value

I am ready to change to battery powered cars, but I will be one of the last to do so

any way, as long as you are happy that's the main thing

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• fatJock
    replied
    I love all the comments on EVs from those who don't have them but still discredit the experienced reality of those who own them.

Tesla Y LR here, 30K miles, length and breadth of the country including regular forays into rural Scotland and Wales to hike, waited once for a Tesla supercharger in all that time (for ten mins). Charge 300 miles at home for less than a fiver. Lease, fuel and maintenance all cost less than my previous Diesel XC40. Lease through Ltd, minimal BIK.

But sure, some bloke on YouTube or on the Daily Mail website knows better. Gotcha.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

I'm sure he will be saddened that such a respected expert as you doesn't appreciate his view.

I think HM is otherwise engaged, currently crying into his porridge after WTFH's scathing attack which was somewhat akin to being savaged by a demented Teddy Ruxpin with flat batteries.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

that he's a numpty?
    I'm sure he will be saddened that such a respected expert as you doesn't appreciate his view.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

that he's a numpty?
    I guess that conclusion depends upon one's view of the world

he certainly seems to be a content numpty

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

He paid his own money for a Diesel RR Sport rather than buy the Hybrid or EV equivalent - maybe that should tell you something.
    that he's a numpty?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    WTFH.....

lol

did you watch the video ?

please watch the video, and, then comment

hth

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

You provided a link to Harry's Garage. The guy ran a Jaguar iPace for a couple of years thinking it was a good example of an EV. He'll drive anything he's given and say what will make him popular with fossil burners.
    Would you just like to say "In my opinion I think he's incorrect" rather than attempting to malign his character and besmirch his integrity?

He paid his own money for a Diesel RR Sport rather than buy the Hybrid or EV equivalent - maybe that should tell you something.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    You provided a link to Harry's Garage. The guy ran a Jaguar iPace for a couple of years thinking it was a good example of an EV. He'll drive anything he's given and say what will make him popular with fossil burners.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied

this explains a lot

https://youtu.be/DwUDR8WTTKQ?feature=shared

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    Originally posted by agentzero View Post
    The main thing that needs resolved is the limitations on charging EVs.

Imagine driving into a petrol station and being told "sorry mate, we only allow filling up BMWs and Hondas with petrol here! You'll need to find somewhere else to fill up!"
    I've had an EV for a few months, and I haven't had that problem. I.e. every charging spot has had a compatible charger. There have been Tesla banks at motorway service stations that I couldn't use, but then there were "normal" chargers nearby.

With the petrol station analogy, it might be more like finding that they only have diesel but they've run out of unleaded (or vice-versa).

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Again with the FUD. Where are you getting this from? Every charging station I've turned up at in my Tesla I've been able to charge.

Tesla have even opened up some of their superchargers to other brands (albeit it at a slightly higher kWh price).

There seem to be a couple of different charging port standards, but all of the chargers I've turned up to have had multiple connection types.

Leave a comment:

• agentzero
    replied
    The main thing that needs resolved is the limitations on charging EVs.

Imagine driving into a petrol station and being told "sorry mate, we only allow filling up BMWs and Hondas with petrol here! You'll need to find somewhere else to fill up!"

All charging stations should be able to charge any EV. This would encourage competition on pricing, which is the basis of capitalism. Right now charging is a free for all, with the worst being Tesla who can manipulate carbon credits and EV subsidies while still ensuring they have their own unique charging stations. This also goes against Tesla, with the company looking to have a questionable future, because I similarly think Tesla owners should be able to charge (fast) at other EV charging stations too.

If mass adoption is to occur, make charging universal and easy. That's what we have now with diesel and petrol and it's what we should have in the future for EVs. Do that and watch mass adoption occur, with range anxiety eliminated.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    are you an Electric Car man Billy ?

Milan.
    no

Leave a comment:

Working...
X