• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Summer car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer car

Hi folks. I suppose as a lot of you are long term contractors some of you will have toy summer cars. I've just been told that my autistic son's transport to school (90 mins+) each way is not going to be sorted before the end of the summer term, so, given I'm stuck doing an epic school run I figure I may as well swap my boring and practical Ford Galaxy for something more fun temporarily.

Looks like a reasonable nick MX-5 can be had for ~£3k-£6k. Anything else I should look at?

Ideally:

Don't want to depreciate a massive amount over the summer
    Convertable
    2 seater
    Bonus points for ULEZ compatibility - in case I decide to keep it a bit longer - I'm just on the edge of the ULEZ zone
    Bonus points for an automatic (I know I know, but there's a big chunk in the middle where I get stuck in traffic)

What do the panel recommend?
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Hi folks. I suppose as a lot of you are long term contractors some of you will have toy summer cars. I've just been told that my autistic son's transport to school (90 mins+) each way is not going to be sorted before the end of the summer term, so, given I'm stuck doing an epic school run I figure I may as well swap my boring and practical Ford Galaxy for something more fun temporarily.

Looks like a reasonable nick MX-5 can be had for ~£3k-£6k. Anything else I should look at?

Ideally:

Convertable
    2 seater
    Bonus points for ULEZ compatibility - in case I decide to keep it a bit longer - I'm just on the edge of the ULEZ zone
    Bonus points for an automatic (I know I know, but there's a big chunk in the middle where I get stuck in traffic)

Any convertible you buy now will be peak price and worth a grand or so less if you sell in the autumn compared to this time next year.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You’re probably right, but unfortunately my time machine is broken….
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Jaguar XK mk2. Aluminium body, good MPG. Good low mileage 4.2l drop top for around £12K, paddle shift or auto. If you can afford it stretch to £15K for the face lifted 5.0l.

Comment

Ideally:

Convertable
          2 seater

can't go wrong with Japanese.
          Why 2 seater though?

Also. As reliability isn't on your list, have you thought about a classic (you won't get automatics, but the possible lack of power steering will distract you from that )?
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
            Jaguar XK mk2. Aluminium body, good MPG. Good low mileage 4.2l drop top for around £12K, paddle shift or auto. If you can afford it stretch to £15K for the face lifted 5.0l.
            Waaaaay over budget. I'm not replacing my car, I'm buying something fun (and preferably ULEZ compliant).

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

can't go wrong with Japanese.
              Why 2 seater though?

Also. As reliability isn't on your list, have you thought about a classic (you won't get automatics, but the possible lack of power steering will distract you from that )?
              2 seater because it'll only be used when I'm taking the boy to school or the swimming pool, or occasionally on my own. I've got 3 kids so anything with the whole family will need my Galaxy (which is why it got bought in the first place). I've not seen anything fun and more than 2 seater at a reasonable price point - happy to have my mind changed though.

Classics are a no go. They're not ULEZ compliant, and I don't really want to have to deal with it overheating/breaking down with an autistic child on board.

Comment

There is zero fun anywhere to be had on a 180 min school run.

The only car criteria you need is air-con that works. Start with that.

Comment

Ideally:

Convertable
                  2 seater

I see where you're coming from: I'd like a bit of fun on a daily drive for me and the boy.

Might I suggest a Beetle convertible?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/cars/us...le/convertible

They seem to be in your price range and offer a little bit more flexibility.

I loved having my Beetle hire car back in the early 2000's-ish. Great fun. I had a red one. Happy days driving back and forth from Oxford to Milton Keynes.... it's not often that you'll hear that.

Good luck with your choices.
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                  Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Ideally:

Convertable
                    2 seater

https://2cev.co.uk/buy-new/

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X