• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Banned from FB

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    You realise the redefining our history and literature to be more in line with modern opinions where various random ethnicities or opinions are smuggled into a time when such things did not exist is rather insidious.
    Ah, so people with different ethnicity didn't exist 200 years ago, is that what you believe?

What's your opinion of actors such as Robert Powell, Liam Neeson, Willem Dafoe, etc playing Jesus - someone who was from the middle east, not the west?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

What precisely do you mean by "the insidious destruction of your heritage"?

Is this also "insidious destruction of heritage":

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03rzwgz
      I think he meant to post this in the Daily MAil comments section and got mixed up. Certainly it has nothing to do with the thread topic.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Ah, so people with different ethnicity didn't exist 200 years ago, is that what you believe?
        Not typically as part of English aristocracy, no.
        The questions are "does the race of the character matter to the story" and "was the race of the actor consequential in their casting?"

In many cases the answer to the first question would be "no but it misrepresents the culture of the time". By not showing the actual ethnic mix, they are missing chances to highlight historic systematic racism, misogyny and oppression which would surely be a good thing.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Not typically as part of English aristocracy, no.
          The questions are "does the race of the character matter to the story" and "was the race of the actor consequential in their casting?"

In many cases the answer to the first question would be "no but it misrepresents the culture of the time". By not showing the actual ethnic mix, they are missing chances to highlight historic systematic racism, misogyny and oppression which would surely be a good thing.
          I can understand what you are saying, but we are talking about actors playing roles.
          The audience are there to see a role being played. The actor is there to play the role. The ethnicity, religion, physical ability, etc of an actor should not prevent them being considered for a role, in my opinion

Comment

Frigging hell they've gone and discontinued my go to tea Twinings Lapsang Souchong, more insidious destruction of the world we had Still my better half will be happy as she hates the smell of it

Comment

What's your opinion of actors such as Robert Powell, Liam Neeson, Willem Dafoe, etc playing Jesus
              I had no idea Liam Neeson played JC, I'll have to look that one up.

I assume it's in the usual Liam Neeson vein - "What I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. Like turning water into wine or healing lepers"

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
                I had no idea Liam Neeson played JC, I'll have to look that one up.

I assume it's in the usual Liam Neeson vein - "What I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. Like turning water into wine or healing lepers"
                It was his first film - Pilgrim's Progress.
                https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0359836

Comment

What's your opinion of actors such as Robert Powell, Liam Neeson, Willem Dafoe, etc playing Jesus - someone who was from the middle east, not the west?
                  No people with different ethnicity did not exist in the quantity in the UK the Beeb etc portray them in.

Well its obviously stupid we have talked about this before Christ was olive.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

No people with different ethnicity did not exist in the quantity in the UK the Beeb etc portray them in.

Well its obviously stupid we have talked about this before Christ was olive.
                    Not just the Beeb, as has been mentioned before, according to the British advertising industry - if they claim to be representative then we should all have mixed race marriages with mixed race children and a big fluffy white poodle - that dog must be confused, one day his "dad" is black, the next he's "white".
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Not just the Beeb, as has been mentioned before, according to the British advertising industry - if they claim to be representative then we should all have mixed race marriages with mixed race children and a big fluffy white poodle
                      Yay, I'm representative! Except the dog. I have a cat. And it's black.

Mind you, you rarely see my family's particular ethnic mix.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X