• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OFFICIAL 2023 fat club

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I need to increase my weight to get a Disabled Parking Badge
    You should be able to get a badge because of your mental problems.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I would massively encourage people looking to lose weight to start doing a weekly parkrun - 5km at 9am on Saturday mornings and there are over 700 locations around the uk you can do it at https://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/ (it's free)

A lot of people I've spoken to in the past are nervous about going for the first time as they think they'll be too slow or come last but the parkrun community is one of the most positive I've ever encountered. You will 100% not be last, even if you walk the whole thing - every parkrun has a 'tail walker' and generally has a good handful of people who walk it all.

It will give you a reason to get up on a saturday morning which promotes good habits for the rest of the weekend - just go once, see what time you get and then try to beat it by a few seconds the next week. All you need to do is register at https://www.parkrun.org.uk/register/ and save the bar code they give you (it can just be digital/screenshot of the email etc) and turn up to one

Changed my life

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        There's been many fat club threads over the years but I'm starting a new one.

Who's aiming for a trimmer and/or fitter version of themselves?

I need to lose about 15 kg. I also need to sort out a dodgy shoulder and neck. Would like to get back into swimming.

Once I've finished all the mince pies...
        15kg blimey that is quite a lot, I assumed your were about 70-80kg when I saw you at the meet up, that is my middle super sporty daughter's weight. How many mince pies?

Many Diabetics are asked to lose 10% of their body weight to put the disease into remission and they find it hard with 800 calorie diets. That looks more like 20% for you.

Maybe shaping & fitness is a better priority?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

15kg blimey that is quite a lot, I assumed your were about 70-80kg when I saw you at the meet up, that is my middle super sporty daughter's weight. How many mince pies?

Many Diabetics are asked to lose 10% of their body weight to put the disease into remission and they find it hard with 800 calorie diets. That looks more like 20% for you.

Maybe shaping & fitness is a better priority?
          I was north of 80kg when we met! I must hide it well The 15 kg is based on so-called healthy BMI guidelines which I take with a pinch of salt. I'll stop once I feel happy with the result which may mean I'll still be overweight by those charts.

I'm not diabetic, cholesterol is ok. General fitness is quite poor so I need to get back into doing all the walking I used to do plus starting up swimming again. The last time I tried swimming was in September 2021 while on a between-lockdown holiday and I was terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            nothing passed my lips till I'd logged it
            Bit of a passion killer that innit?

I'd like my personal details removing from your log under my GDPR right to be forgotten. Thank you.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Bit of a passion killer that innit?
              Think of it as taking the time to savour it with the eyes first.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I was north of 80kg when we met! I must hide it well The 15 kg is based on so-called healthy BMI guidelines which I take with a pinch of salt. I'll stop once I feel happy with the result which may mean I'll still be overweight by those charts.

I'm not diabetic, cholesterol is ok. General fitness is quite poor so I need to get back into doing all the walking I used to do plus starting up swimming again. The last time I tried swimming was in September 2021 while on a between-lockdown holiday and I was terrible.
                Obviously you do hide it well but I'm not great at weight estimation.

BMI is discredited it was never designed to be used at an individual level, fat analysis and body shape indicators are better. Sadly the NHS don't agree so routinely label fit young girls fat with disastrous results.

https://www.bupa.co.uk/health-inform...healthy-weight

Knowing your BMI is a simple way to learn more about your weight, but it isn’t perfect. BMI isn't always very accurate in certain groups of people or because of other factors that you need to take into account.
                https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/heal...l-ideal-weight

Relied-upon methods such as BMI, for example, can be misleading. Your BMI might be within the normal range, for example, even if your waist size is larger than average for your height and build (on average, 35 inches for women, and 40 inches for men). And yet, research has shown that having a larger waist size is indicative of weight-related health risks such as heart disease and diabetes.

What’s more, if you’re ‘big’ because of muscle, your BMI will read as being higher even if you have low body fat. So while BMI can give you a rough idea of how healthy your weight is, it certainly doesn’t provide a definitive answer.

A way of finding out if you have excess fat is to measure your waist circumference. This can be particularly useful for people who are:
                Apparently according to BMI I should weigh 63KG , a weight I passed at 12-13 when I played Rugby for my school. My chest cavity is twice the depth of my peers something I discovered to my cost when caving in my teens, my waist without fat was 36 when my friends were 32 neither of these are part of BMI . I'm lucky if I can get under 100KG when really fit.

If you are worried about being fat then measure that and change your fat percentage not try to achieve some weight mandated by the badly abused BMI. Almost all NFL players would be obese according to BMI.

In diabetes there is a concept of personal fat levels being the cause. This is one of the world renowned diabetes experts and explains it better than I.

https://www.hcplive.com/view/roy-tay...etes-remission

Comment

I use Go Jauntly to log my walking distance and managed at least 1500km last year, but my iphone step counter was horribly under reporting, so I'm not sure of the exact distance.

I'll try to be more accurate this year, but I don't want to spend extra on tech when I already have a Garmin handheld and my phone. I'll just have to try and manually upload the extra distance from the handheld to GJ.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I lost 2.5kg over xmas, but it took a mental breakdown (time of year) and lack of eating properly so maybe not a recommended method!

I'll continue to cycle, gym and (try) to eat healthily. Not too much excess to lose, so plan is to stay fit and enjoy life.

Good luck to all those looking to lose weight/get fitter
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      I need to increase my weight to get a Disabled Parking Badge
                      There are other ways to get one of these!
                      Former IPSE member
                      My Website

Comment

Working...
                      X