• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If we can't figure out the Irish border, what happens if Scotland join the EU?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #41
    Sure you didn't mean Piers Corbyn? Piers Morgan wanted us all welded into our homes

    Comment


      #42
      Originally posted by Guy At Charnock Richard View Post

      Sure you didn't mean Piers Corbyn? Piers Morgan wanted us all welded into our homes
      you're quite right..... My bad.

      Every time I think of that idiot I remember the comparison being made that Piers Morgan isn't the worst Piers and Jeremy Corbyn isn't the worst Corbyn. So I got confused.
      See You Next Tuesday

      Comment


        #43
        Originally posted by Guy At Charnock Richard View Post
        like a right little martinet
        Originally posted by Excursion UK View Post
        love to see the petty martinet
        Inneresting.

        Comment


          #44
          Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

          Oh! Well geography was never my strong point. I'm surprised there isn't a movement for the Scots to reclaim their stolen land then

          They lost it, they need to get over it
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

          Comment


            #45
            Originally posted by Lance View Post

            you're quite right..... My bad.

            Every time I think of that idiot I remember the comparison being made that Piers Morgan isn't the worst Piers and Jeremy Corbyn isn't the worst Corbyn. So I got confused.
            You obviously haven't seen his Talk TV show otherwise you may have reassessed your position on who is the worst Piers

            Comment


              #46
              Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Nicola is talking up Indyref2 this week and seems to be trying to formally launch a new campaign.
              We can take as read Scotland would want to join the EU and all other guff aside about, how would a land border with England possibly work?
              It's very simple - just have a hard border. The only reason it is not this simple in Ireland is because of the Ireland "situation" - a hard border there is simply not politically acceptable for many of the residents. No such problem exists for Scotland/England.

              Comment


                #47
                Originally posted by mattster View Post

                It's very simple - just have a hard border. The only reason it is not this simple in Ireland is because of the Ireland "situation" - a hard border there is simply not politically acceptable for many of the residents. No such problem exists for Scotland/England.
                If I live on a street which straddles the border can I still go to the pub? We saw this a bit in lockdown when Wales/Scotland/England had differing rules.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

                Comment


                  #48
                  Originally posted by d000hg View Post

                  If I live on a street which straddles the border can I still go to the pub? We saw this a bit in lockdown when Wales/Scotland/England had differing rules.
                  Borders always cause a kerfuffle along those lines. I suspect it'll be reasonably porous right up until the time when Scotland joins the EU. Buy shares in razer wire manufacturers.

                  Comment


                    #49
                    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    If I live on a street which straddles the border can I still go to the pub?
                    Are there any residential streets which cross the border?

                    I found an interesting blog post about this topic:
                    What might a land border between the United Kingdom and a separate Scotland look like? | The Nation said No Thanks! (wordpress.com)
                    According to that, there are 25 public roads which cross the border. There are photos of 2 (with no houses); I don't know about the other 23.

                    However, one of the comments talks about people who commute between Dumfries (Scotland) and Carlisle (England). Presumably those people would need work permits for the other country and they'd need to go through a passport checkpoint every day. If they work from home, that might raise other questions, similar to "Can I take my laptop to France for my UK client?"

                    Comment


                      #50
                      Originally posted by d000hg View Post

                      If I live on a street which straddles the border can I still go to the pub? We saw this a bit in lockdown when Wales/Scotland/England had differing rules.
                      Peggy mitchell voice "Get out yer baaannned!"
                      "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

                      I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X