• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[OFFICIAL] Ukraine Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Oh OK Mr Irrelevant
    Commenting on the content of your post is irrelevant? Well what does that tell us?

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

1890? Feck me it's the KJV FFS. Try 1611.
    Probably he's using the 1769 version.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

So your answer to a failed annexation of a non-NATO country is for NATO to invade Russia and assassinate its head of state. And that is a good idea how, exactly.

Put it another way; what would be Russia's and other similarly powerful countries' response if NATO did that.

Any such action would have to be via the United Nations, and at least three Security Council members would veto that immediately.

I think you need to stick to your war comics.
      How has appeasement served the world in past conflicts?

Let me have your address and I'll have a truck load of white feathers sent over.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

I wouldn't say weak, I'd say extremely cautious.

It would be high stakes calling the bluff of a reckless dictator who's holding a massive arsenal of nukes.
        I agree it's high stakes, but how far do you let him go before you stop him? Bullies don't stop on their own, they need to be stopped. How many more countries does he destroy, how many more thousands does he kill, before we get in his way? Lithuania? Moldova? Poland? Finland?

A no fly zone would have been risky but not directly entering the war ... Putin knows the west are scared of him so he is allowed to do whatever he likes with zero come back. That's not good.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

A no fly zone emphatically is "entering the war". As soon as any NATO aircraft try to enforce one, you can say goodbye to the forward air bases in all the adjoining NATO countries and the longer range ones such as those in the UK and Germany that fly the drones. I'm not sure that is worth the marginal gains in protecting Ukraine, where most of the attacks are from ground-based missiles out of Russian territory anyway.

You guys really need to study your global realpolitik.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            A no fly zone emphatically is "entering the war". As soon as any NATO aircraft try to enforce one, you can say goodbye to the forward air bases in all the adjoining NATO countries and the longer range ones such as those in the UK and Germany that fly the drones. I'm not sure that is worth the marginal gains in protecting Ukraine, where most of the attacks are from ground-based missiles out of Russian territory anyway.

You guys really need to study your global realpolitik.
            And you need to study your history - you cannot and should not appease a dictator, they are never satisfied.

Like it or not, we are already at war with Russia and Belarus.

Last edited by Zigenare; 23 March 2022, 14:36.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

And you need to study your history - you cannot and should not appease a dictator, they are never satisfied.

Like it or not, we are already at war with Russia and Belarus.
              FWIW, I agree with most of your posts Ziggy, but you're being a bit melodramatic now!

Yes, maybe you shouldn't appease a youngish dictator with armed forces growing into the millions.

But Putin is 70, and the Russian army is "only" 250,000 strong, of which a good proportion are probably conscripts.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

FWIW, I agree with most of your posts Ziggy, but you're being a bit melodramatic now!

Yes, maybe you shouldn't appease a youngish dictator with armed forces growing into the millions.

But Putin is 70, and the Russian army is "only" 250,000 strong, of which a good proportion are probably conscripts.
                And therefore has nothing to lose - we(the world) have a humanitarian disaster on our hands with millions of displaced people. There are women and children leaving their men to fight and not knowing if they'll see each other again or if they'll ever see their homeland. We are already impacted by the financial burden of this war and we need to do something more concrete to end it. Putin needs to be told that if he is mad enough to escalate to Nuclear then his country will be turned to glass.
                Last edited by Zigenare; 23 March 2022, 15:52.

Comment

Putin won't be able to have his bedtime choccy milk now... surrender is only a matter of time.
                  Originally posted by BBC
                  Swiss food giant Nestle is pulling its popular brands, like KitKat and Nesquik, out of Russia.

The firm stopped investment in the country earlier this month and now it will only sell essential foods - infant food and medical and hospital nutrition.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Putin needs to be told that if he is mad enough to escalate to Nuclear then his country will be turned to glass.
                    My fear on that is he doesn't care, with him it's binary either he has a legacy OR no one does. (well not at least for a few hundred years)

The best option is an internal solution which if it results in a 'real' democracy could let us welcome them back.
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Putin won't be able to have his bedtime choccy milk now... surrender is only a matter of time.
                      There needs to be more dead conscripts unfortunately.

Until the Russian population realise they are being lied to and the "special military operation" has caused the death of loved ones then he will just continue.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X