• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much would you pay to make a problem go away?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much would you pay to make a problem go away?

MyCo is being hit by a well established copyright troll, the letter of the law they are right, but the spirit of the law its a very grey area.

After many many many back and forth's I have decided to just settle for the simple reason its now become more hassle than worth for something that is less than a grand, which I am guessing was their tactic from day one.

I have been inside for last few contracts and I am looking at the options of closing the company down and this is one of a long line of headaches I just CBA with
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

How much are they demanding with (legal) menaces? What do they require you to do?

I'd be tempted to empty the money out of the company and watch them waste legal costs on suing it.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

hard to say without knowing the facts ... what copyright have you impinged? Are they the injured party?
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        How much are they demanding with (legal) menaces? What do they require you to do?

I'd be tempted to empty the money out of the company and watch them waste legal costs on suing it.
        What are the legalities of removing money from your co. if you know that liabilities might be coming up? Genuine question, as I have a company that sells a product and I have wondered about letting money simply accrue there until such time as it makes sense to MVL it, but my worry is that if something like came up (frivolous of otherwise), I could lose the lot.

To the OP, do you not have insurance that can defend you in any law suit? If you do, they might back away fairly quickly once they realise your effective pockets are deeper than they thought.

Comment

Drain the coffers if you can.
          Its YourCo not yours.
          Set up another co when you need to.
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

Is this an "illegal" download? According to this https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/sc...nfringement-s/ damages are simply paying the amount you would have paid for whatever it is. Normally this would be a few quid.

Whatever you've infringed the damages need to be justfied by how much it has cost the plaintiff.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

What are the legalities of removing money from your co. if you know that liabilities might be coming up?
              You're probably correct about this. But I wouldn't have thought it likely you would get done for it, because the scammer would just move onto another "customer" - they are not interested in supporting the enforcement of that kind of rule/law.
              The same would not be the same for HMRC though, and perhaps some other more legitimate creditors.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

You're probably correct about this. But I wouldn't have thought it likely you would get done for it, because the scammer would just move onto another "customer" - they are not interested in supporting the enforcement of that kind of rule/law.
                The same would not be the same for HMRC though, and perhaps some other more legitimate creditors.
                What scammer? The OP has admitted to breaching copyright (by the letter of the law).

As for closing down the company, I guess they could (in theory) look to block an attempt at a voluntary liquidation.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

What scammer? The OP has admitted to breaching copyright (by the letter of the law).
                  Yep, someone has found a lucrative business model that many companies would consider to be not worth the hassle. Demanding less than a grand shifts the 'not worth the hassle' pov onto the breacher of copyright.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                  X