• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What does retirement look like for you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Working in retail, or dealing with people looking for a service? Not a chance, far too much risk I'd deck someone!
    I've worked as a till-jockey and it was quite pleasant, similarly working as a barman. Unpleasant or argumentative people - typically those who want to think they're important - are disarmed when you're polite to them. They want you to bite and if you don't aren't really sure what to do, at least in my experience. If I'm paid to help people, I help the PITA ones too. Doesn't hurt my self-esteem if some so-and-so thinks I'm lower than them because I'm working in a pub, they can think that if they want.

All that said, I think working on the floor in B&Q is a bit different. You're helping people who don't know what they're doing, and typically really like an older, experienced ex-tradesman to chat to. Those I come across seem to quite enjoy getting to help people with advice on their projects, it's a bit like talking to your dad
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Excellent job demonstrating me wrong there. Really, well done.
      I see your opinion seems to be faulty!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I've worked as a till-jockey and it was quite pleasant, similarly working as a barman. Unpleasant or argumentative people - typically those who want to think they're important - are disarmed when you're polite to them. They want you to bite and if you don't aren't really sure what to do, at least in my experience. If I'm paid to help people, I help the PITA ones too. Doesn't hurt my self-esteem if some so-and-so thinks I'm lower than them because I'm working in a pub, they can think that if they want.

All that said, I think working on the floor in B&Q is a bit different. You're helping people who don't know what they're doing, and typically really like an older, experienced ex-tradesman to chat to. Those I come across seem to quite enjoy getting to help people with advice on their projects, it's a bit like talking to your dad
        Hey if that is the high spot in your career and you want to return to it then fine. I did such work over a few years while at college and it seriously sucked (strangely the other staff thought the same) if you are the sort of person who wants to earn your five stars it might appeal.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Working in retail, or dealing with people looking for a service? Not a chance, far too much risk I'd deck someone!
          Especially if you work in B&Q and someone needs decking...
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I worked at Selfridges for a few months after leaving uni. before getting a proper job. Served Hattie Jacques at the meat counter, before they sent me to work in the warehouse cos' I was too scruffy.

Can't say I'd want a job like that now. Did volunteer at a visitor centre for a while a few years ago, boring!
            Last edited by xoggoth; 13 November 2021, 12:33.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              I worked at Selfridges for a few months after leaving uni. before getting a proper job. Served Hattie Jacques at the meat counter, before they sent me to work in the warehouse cos' I was too scruffy.

Can't say I'd want a job like that now. Did volunteer at a visitor centre for a while a few years ago, boring!

That's why I went to the NT. I volunteer at a house and award winning gardens with an 800 year history over two families and full of interesting pieces as well as more mundane Jacobean furniture. The idea is not only to look after the collection and keep the visitors safe, but also to bring the place to life; talk about the family history and their achievements and how the house has grown from an 13th C medieval hall to a monument to Arts and Crafts taste.

It's a lot to learn so you can answer the usual questions (do you know why they are called tester beds, for example?) and so keeps you interested. Plus you get to talk to some lovely people.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Friend of mine works at Eden Project, she loves it.

When I worked for Merlin rolling out their new attraction ticketing system (well, I was doing the integration to the Finance Systems and PMing the datawarehouse build) I was on site most weeks and ended up having to interact with the great unwashed, and it was ok ... not just UK, but New York, Melbourne, Sydney and a few other places ... most of the public are there to enjoy themselves so maybe not as bad an experience as say B&Q et al.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

When I was at college, I worked at Harbour Park Amusements in Littlehampton (it's changed a heck of a lot since). I worked on the little counter where you'd go up to change your hard earned cash into small change for all the 2p machines.

I quite enjoyed it and earned a small fortune working there.

I also did jobs in cafes and restaurants.

Then I moved to the corporate world and have sat on my arse behind a desk for the past 25+ years.

I'd quite like to run a little wine bar - much like the ones you get in Italy - where all the wine is available by the glass and you offer little snacks you can tip from a jar into a bowl. The sort of place that people pop into for a quick drink on their way home from work, or on their way out to dinner, etc. Only about 8-10 covers tops. Wine, a few nice gins, a cocktail of the day. Tell people to eff off when they annoy me. Drink the profits, drink the stock. Die. Bliss!

Comment

I'm gonna be a rent boy for gerontophiles.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Based on today, a lot of my retirement will focus on sharpening chainsaws and burning things that haven’t been pruned properly in years. I also hope that I’ll spend time watching the ABs losing brilliant matches.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X